• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tool Crashes after Upgrade

Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading PS to version 19.1 I have stumbled onto two problems. One is reported here in detail already--the crash associated with Magnetic Lasso tool. I have also found that the Pen Tool (Both the Standard & Curved) crash PS very quickly after a short bit of use and I lose my preferences. Seems to be aggravated when I select the Rubberband display mode when using the Pen Tools.

Is anyone seeing this issue too? I am running on the Win 7 Pro 64 bit OS.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018
Hi JC & Richard,

This should be resolved in the update to Photoshop that is now available. Please open your Creative Cloud, update Photoshop and let us know how it goes 🙂

Thanks!
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
10 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the report JC. The crash with the pen tool is a known issue and will be resolved in the next update. I'll keep you posted when that becomes available.

What we know about this issue is that it happens when one closes an open Pen tool-created path using the Enter key. The workaround is to close the open path manually.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. When you say "close the path manually" what exactly do you mean; what constitutes a 'manual' close? It seemed to me yesterday that the crashes were kind of random with respect to when exactly they happened and what specifically I was doing as I progressed along the path creation. It was happening with a high enough frequency that the Pen Tool was not worth using. But now that you mention pressing the Enter Key to close a path initiates the crash I'll have to test it out again. That's kind of a pain though since I lose my preferences each time after a crash occurs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure - I mean to close the path using your mouse. Let me know how it goes for you after you try it again.

Regards,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned above, these crashes occur somewhat randomly when using pen tool and the direct selection tool on the path handles.  It also crashes when using the direct selection tool on shape handles.

I have reverted back to an older version of Photoshop, how will any of us know when this problem is fixed - i.e. how will the next update indicate that it is the new update?

RT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

Having posted to this thread you will now be kept up-to-date on the issue. When the update is available that contains this fix I will post to this thread that it is available for download.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have been playing with the Pen Tool (Standard and Curved) making paths and shapes, adding and deleting anchor points, selecting, moving one or more anchor points at the same time using the Pen as well as the Path and Point selection tools, turning paths into selections, and so on.

As long as I close the path manually during or after my path creation I have not experienced any crashes as I was yesterday.

My Cursor Preferences are set as follows: Brush Tip -- set to Normal with Show Crosshair in Brush; Other Cursors -- set to Standard.

Again, I have PS CC 2018 9.1 running on Win 7 Pro 64 bit OS based computer.

So with these workarounds I am eagerly awaiting a new release of PS 2018 that will resolve this issue as well as the Magnetic Lasso crash issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll let you know when it's ready. Glad to hear you stopped crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JC & Richard,

This should be resolved in the update to Photoshop that is now available. Please open your Creative Cloud, update Photoshop and let us know how it goes 🙂

Thanks!
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hannah,
That update seems to have done the trick.  Thanks for advice and notices.  
I am not happy, though, with the changes they made with the brushes, and had to go through an hour of figuring out how to get the original default brushes back in and set as first choice in the brush drop down panel.
Oh well.     

Thanks again.     Richard T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have not experienced any crashes when using the Magnetic Lasso (with Other Cursor set to Precise in Preferences) and the Pen Tools. So I'm a happy camper again and am now back to full use of PS 19.1.1. 

As Richard mentions, I too had to get back my old Legacy Brushes but that happen in an earlier release when the Kyle Designer brushes were introduced into the package.

I love the continual improvements Adobe is making to the CC products but sometimes there are interesting challenges that could be avoided with a little more thought on the knock-on effects. This is especially true for people who are using the tools in a business and can't afford to have their work flows disrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate