• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 21.1.0 Choppy Panning when "Flick Panning" is disabled (windows 10, flick panning off)

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've Noticed this weird behavior after the latest 21.1.0 update:

When panning, the canvas  basically refreshes only after I have stopped my panning motion, so that there's no smooth movement during panning, only the state before panning and the state after panning. Feels extremely choppy. Only if I scroll REALLY slowly - like snail speed - I see the canvas following along my motion. As soon as I accelerate to a normal panning speed, the above behavior goes into effect.

I first thought that this might be a graphics card driver issue but then I noticed that when I turn on "flick panning" in the preferences, suddenly panning is performed smoothly (but, as to be expected, with the annoying floaty overshooting motion of flick panning, that I'd like to avoid).

If someone can confirm, this might be an issue worth investigating.

UPDATE 20th April 2021:

At least two users confirmed that the Navigator window plays a role in this problem. Scaling the Navigator window or closing it completely stops the problem from occurring in those cases.

Apart from closing the Navigator window and activating "Flick Panning", another workaround seems to be to activate "Scroll All Windows" in the options of the Hand tool. This also stops the undesired behavior but obviously comes with potentially unwanted side effects.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

This issue is now fixed in 22.4.2 (just released).  

Votes

Translate

Translate
55 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, removing the navigator panel no longer helps. I guess I tried this on a low resolution file.
Indeed, if you remove this panel, then the panning becomes faster, but still lagged. Scroll All Windows runs smoothly on the same file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is now fixed in 22.4.2 (just released).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the issue still persist and linked to mouse polling rate 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested V22.4.2 of Photoshop and while I can confirm that the scrolling performance under the previous described circumstances is better in this version, there still remains to be a significant difference to the performance when flick panning is enabled or the navigator window is closed.

Or to put it more simply: I still experience an annoying visual stutter/flickering when scrolling the canvas which completely disappears as soon as the navigator window is closed or flick panning is enabled. The "Scrolling all windows" trick, that was described somewhere above, does not have any effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Uhm is this the same issue?

https://youtu.be/Uv2AOhnUSNw

It is like that all the way up to verson 23.2.1.303

Votes