• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 21.1.0 Choppy Panning when "Flick Panning" is disabled (windows 10, flick panning off)

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've Noticed this weird behavior after the latest 21.1.0 update:

When panning, the canvas  basically refreshes only after I have stopped my panning motion, so that there's no smooth movement during panning, only the state before panning and the state after panning. Feels extremely choppy. Only if I scroll REALLY slowly - like snail speed - I see the canvas following along my motion. As soon as I accelerate to a normal panning speed, the above behavior goes into effect.

I first thought that this might be a graphics card driver issue but then I noticed that when I turn on "flick panning" in the preferences, suddenly panning is performed smoothly (but, as to be expected, with the annoying floaty overshooting motion of flick panning, that I'd like to avoid).

If someone can confirm, this might be an issue worth investigating.

UPDATE 20th April 2021:

At least two users confirmed that the Navigator window plays a role in this problem. Scaling the Navigator window or closing it completely stops the problem from occurring in those cases.

Apart from closing the Navigator window and activating "Flick Panning", another workaround seems to be to activate "Scroll All Windows" in the options of the Hand tool. This also stops the undesired behavior but obviously comes with potentially unwanted side effects.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

This issue is now fixed in 22.4.2 (just released).  

Votes

Translate

Translate
55 Comments
Participant ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked a friend of mine to test this with his own fresh installation of 21.1.0 and he confirmed that panning feels horribly slow, and the problem does not occur when "flick panning" is activated. 

To test this, all you really have to do is to pan your image both with and without "flick panning" activated (under Preferences > Tools) and compare the performance in both cases. Panning should be smooth in both cases - it always has been - and the only difference should be, that with flick panning activated the canvas starts to coast when you release the mouse button.

Hope some people can confirm so that this problem will be fixed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing this on macOS 10.14.x. What OS/version are you running on? Do you know if Use Graphics Processor is enabled or not? Do you have rulers show? Tabbed documents on or off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seeing it on Windows 10 either. Need to figure out what's different in our settings besides just disabling flick panning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I'm running Photoshop on Windows 10.

The Graphics Processor recognized by Photoshop is a GeForce GTX 980.

Disabling the Graphics Processor results actually in a slightly better performance - the canvas gets chopped up while panning but there's several frames of interpolation during panning. 

I'm using floating document windows but using tabs doesn't make a difference concerning the problem.

Rulers ON/OFF makes no difference. 

What actually MAKES a difference, and I just noticed this right now, is the window size of the document. With very small window sizes, the problem disappears. My screen is 2560x1440 and when I size my document window to about half that size, the problem is in full effect, getting increasingly better when sizing the window down to something like 300x300px. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
I have exactly the same problem since PS 21.1 (21.0.3 was buttery smooth).  It is quite frustrating.  Please, take a look into this problem. Thanks.

My Specs
SO: Win 10 1909
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: GTX 1060 (Updated to the latest drivers)
RAM: 16 Gb (70% allocated to PS)

What I've tried:
- Every combination of the Advanced GPU settings
- Turning Off GPU Acceleration/Open CL
- Reset Preferences 
- Fresh Installation

What Worked (workaroundšŸ˜ž
- Revert to PS 21.0.3 
-Turning "Flick Panning" ON

This is a video of the problem:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel and Morris.  Is this still a problem in the most recent update that came out last week (21.2)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad.
The problem is still present in the 21.2 release, since the 21.1 update.
The last version without this issue is the 21.0.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to test this. The problem remains exactly the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what is your OS Scaling set to?  What percent and is it the (Recommended) scaling?  We have another bug we're fixing where panning snaps back to original location and selection coordinates are wrong.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS Scaling 125% (Recommended 100%)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the added detail.  If you set it to Recommended 100% or other OS Scaling settings, does it still happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also do either of you have gaming hardware (video card/mouse) with mouse polling set higher than 120Hz?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I have a Logitech G203 gaming mouse. 
I tried the following Polling Rate settings (using Logitech G HUB)

1000: 100% laggy, unusable
500:  100% laggy, unusable
250: sometime some "stutter" but usable
125:  buttery smooth!

So I'm assuming the problem is the polling rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's the issue. I think we have that documented.  Thanks for confirming Morris!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main monitor is set to 100% but I've got a second monitor connected on which the OS size is set to 125%. When I set the second monitor to 100%, the situation doesn't change. 

My test is always the same: creating a new document (sized 2400x1800 px), scaling the document window to almost full screen size (on my 2560x1440 px screen), zooming 100% and panning in the document with the hand tool. Panning in version 20.0.6 is smooth, in 21.2 it's unusable slow, unless I activate flick panning.

I really hope you get a grip on this issue. It's the main reason I'm still sticking to 20.0.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, are using a gaming mouse? if so, if you setting the polling rate to 125 does it work correctly for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Wacom Intuos 5 tablet in Photoshop exclusively. But I actually also have a Logitech gaming mouse connected. I experimented with the polling rate, setting it to 125, but this didn't effect the problem in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I have used PS in the past few days. Here's what I found.
It doesn't always work. Even if I set the polling rate to 125 and restart Windows, the problem persists.

From what I understand,  I have to change Polling Rate back and forth every single time after starting Windows:
  1. Open Photoshop
  2. Launch Logitech G HUB
  3. Set polling rate from 125 to 1000 (or other) then go back to 125.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel_Lieske,

what is the status of this issue? I have exactly the same problem. I have tried changing Graphics Processor settings in PS, reinstalling PS, installing newest NVIDIA drivers (GTX 1060 6GB), different settings in Tools in PS (where the flick panning settinng is located as well). But I had no succes.

I have a wired G500 mouse but use mainly my Wacom Intuos Pr L.

Have you heard of a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news: I just updated my Wacom driver to 6.3.41-1  (through the Wacom Desktop Center, a small utility app on my system) and restarted my computer. I disabled "flick Panning" in the PS settings, and the problem is gone when working with the wacom pen. Strangely it is still not working well with my mouse, but I use the pen 95% of the time.

I have checked the release notes for the driver, but no mention of this problem.

But this makes working great again, because I hated the flick panning!

Thijs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @thijs_wolzak 

Have you tried to lowering the Polling Rate of your mouse to 125  (using G HUB)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I just found out it is still not perfect. But when zoomed in to 100% or more it works perfectly. When zoomed out to 66, 50 or 33 percent there still is some lag, but it is definitely better then it was with the older Wacom driver.

Whether it is the driver itself or some setting that has been reset duriing update or restart of the computer, is unsure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here, windows 10 pro latest update. Using Photoshop 2021 that just released today, and with flick panning disabled the panning on the canvas is very choppy and performs horribly. I have a nvidia 1080 ti and this was working fine in photoshop 2019 and below. When PS2020 came out, the panning started being choppy and continues into this newest release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I am using the latest release of Windows 10 Pro and Photoshop 22.0.0. I have a Logitech G502 gaming mouse, and have already set the poling rate down to 125. I have a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet, and am using the most up to date driver that is compatible with that somewhat older device. My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, and it's running 4 monitors. My main monitor has a 2560x1440. I absolutely despise flick panning as all it does, I find, it send the items I want to look at flying off the screen. I would much prefer to have it turned off, but at present, when I use the hand tool to move the canvas around, it doesn't move at all until I have stopped dragging the mouse, at which point it jumps to the end position of the drag.

I never saw any problems with this until I updated to Photoshop 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate