• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.2 freezes on macOS while changing layer styles/opacity on a PSB file

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using macOS (latest version) on an iMac Pro. Changing the opacity on a PSB freezes up the program for 5 to 10 minutes at a time where you cannot do anything in the program. No spinning beach ball, just stuck on the arrow with no ability to cancel, exit, or do anything. Just started after I updated. Super wierd, but problematic. 

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

This issue should be addressed by the 23.2.1 update that went out early this AM.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
81 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: Photoshop freezes when trying to change the transparency of a pattern overlay effect on a layer

Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.2.0 20220210.r.277 189394e  arm64
Mac OS Monterey version 12.0

Step 1 to reproduce the issue open a new film/video document)
Step 2 to reproduce the issue add layer
Step 3 to reproduce the issue make square with shape tool to fill canvas.
Step 4 to reproduce the issue add the layer effect "pattern overlay" to that newly made shape layer
Step 5 to reproduce the issue attempt to change the opacity of the effect overlay 
Step 6 FREEZE & CRY
Expected result: Photoshop shouldn't freeze, and it should allow you to freely change the opacity 
Actual result: Photoshop does freeze and you have to force quit, and potentially lose all your work

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to the latest OS 12.2.1, Photoshop has been randomly crashing. All software is up to date. It just freezes and becomes unresponsive, regardless of file size or action. When I go to force quit it, however, it doesn't show up as being unresponsive in the dialogue box. Any ideas what might be causing this and whether the issue will be fixed soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

*To manually delete Photoshop preferences:
Quit Photoshop.
Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder:
MacOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note:
The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html
Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Constant freeze when adjusting outer glow size slider. I think this also happens with the gaussian blur slider and maybe other sliders too, when cranking up the value. Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

telling people to 'try' deleting all their preferences is a ridiculous suggestion... adobe needs to fix this issue on their end and issue an updated build that doesnt freeze every time you try to use a standard feature like layer styles IMMEDIATELY. :clown_face:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jasonm58749338 for your inability to suggest a fix for others here. I suppose I'm special and alone in having a build that doesnt freeze every time I use a standard feature like layer styles.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spicy lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attempted to try this multiple times and have to Force Quit each time. Every Style seems to be causing the program to crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.2.1 is out and fixes it... guess i didnt have to 'reset my preferences'... 😏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be addressed by the 23.2.1 update that went out early this AM.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only imagined it, you didn't experience it. 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be a new bug/issue because CC has found a conflict with 'Adobe CR Daemon' and won't let me update to the latest version. Force quit 'Adobe CR Daemon' in activity monitor, but as soon as I press the update button in CC, then 'Adobe CR Daemon' starts back up... so I am stuck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@imnotwordy Restart your computer to unfreeze any background processes and try to install the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated without issue on this end this morning:

update.jpg

As Jeffery suggested, a restart is usually the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me to exact same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, this can be done, but why do we have to burden of fixing what should have been done correctly by Adobe.  Re setting perferences can also create a whole new set of issues if we have special preferences set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote them the same thing... I agree with you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, this can be done, but why do we have to burden of fixing what should have been done correctly by Adobe. Re setting perferences can also create a whole new set of issues if we have special preferences set up.

What issues and why does this often, very often, fix so many issues?

How do you know the corruption is solely from Adobe and not other areas of you system? You don't.

Make a screen capture of the pref's to have.

Make a COPY of the pref's when the app runs fine.

Go back to a back up of a good copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to wait a couple of days to see how others respond. These bugs cost time and being contract it HURTS when the programs are buggy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will add, that dumping your prefferences to try and get the program to work as intended really shouldn't be a suggested solution. Having to reset up how you prefer to work in photoshop is time consuming. Maybe that solution works for people who don't care about their time (who doesn't actually care about their time?) But its not for those who need to remain efficient so they can meet deadlines and remian profitable. I love photoshop, but I find myself using procreate more and more for projects that it will work for. Less bugs, less sluggishness, more time actually illustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having to reset preference is as fast and easy as taking a backup you made while everything was working fine, then replacing it when Photoshop crashes since this is one of the first steps to overcome the crash and the first step Adobe and other's recommended before moving to other possible fixes. But you can of course find other ways to waste time and avoid a possible fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having to reset preferences is not quick and easy if you actually use photoshop for more than editing family photos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.” -Warren Buffett

Having to reset preferences is not quick and easy if you actually use photoshop for more than editing family photos.

Community Beginner salty31337

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aktually, for those with a body of work from this century—efficient is best. The MOST efficient fix is to unistal the most recent update and to go back to a previous version where the bugs were not present. 

Votes

Translate

Translate