• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.2 freezes on macOS while changing layer styles/opacity on a PSB file

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using macOS (latest version) on an iMac Pro. Changing the opacity on a PSB freezes up the program for 5 to 10 minutes at a time where you cannot do anything in the program. No spinning beach ball, just stuck on the arrow with no ability to cancel, exit, or do anything. Just started after I updated. Super wierd, but problematic. 

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

This issue should be addressed by the 23.2.1 update that went out early this AM.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
81 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 2.14.26 AM.png

following today's update to 23.2.0 Photoshop is freezing when I attempt to adjust a layer mask with a curve, as seen in attached image . Restarted app several times, also restarted iMac w/Monterey 12.2.1 to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me again—attempting using workarounds to achieve my desired effects, but it seems if I use any adjustment layers, when I go to make adjustments using the adjustment layers Photoshop crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it crash or freeze? They are two very different things.

If it's a freeze, get a sample process using Activity Monitor: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/how-to-get-a-process-sample-or-spindump.html Share the resulting log via CC files or Dropbox.

If it's a crash, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html That will help us diagnose the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 23.2. Please try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, relaunch Photoshop to check if it helps.

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop manually using the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue, super furastrating. I called adobe and they said to update my macOS which I still run Catolina because whatever. Never had a issue so why fix it type of thing. But this has to be a problem in they're 23.2 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 16

Apple M1 Max

Memory 64GB

OS Monterey

Photoshop 23.2

Photoshop freezes (force escape to restart), so no chance to submit crash report. Freezes when using layer effects. Change stroke thickness and it freezes, as werll as other later styles. Work keeps getting lost. Not on PSB files but .PSD

Followed the advice: "Please try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, relaunch Photoshop to check if it helps." - It seems to work, althougfh I havn't started todays work in earnest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But now I can't rotate the canvas. Which is murder on you when you are used to doing that and an illustrator / finisher. This update gives me sadface. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2022 - Version: 23.2

Mac OS 12.0.1 Monterey

Photoshop freezing up every time I go to apply a layer style, specifically drop shadow...

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. You can try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, relaunch Photoshop to check if it helps.

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop manually using the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 23.2 yesterday. Whenever i go to embed an object (a watermark in this case), PS freezes. Haver to do a force quit, as the program becomes totally unresponsive.
Tried on 7 different jpegs & raw files, same problem.

Photoshop 23.2
Mac 12.0.1
No screenshot or screen recording possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to report that I am having an issue with Photoshop v23.2 on a 2016 MacBook Pro using Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1..... Applying Bevel/Emboss I the Layers tab freezes the submenu, but Photoshop does not indicate that it has frozen. The issue makes it so you can't leave the submenu for Bevel/Emboss. Tried restart and shutting down. No help. I hope this bug can be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a the same FREEZE and then CRASH anytime I do anything with Opacity, Color Adjustments / Corrections. When I tried to adjust opcaity, it started at 0 and when I tried to adjust, it crashes. It does this is layer styles or in the layer pallet. Same with color correctios.

Photoshop 23.2
Mac 12.1
Screenshot Below
Screenshot at Feb 17 22-55-35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having all those same issues on a Imac 2019, I swear it has to be this latest update! adobe need to put out a patch ASAP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting your preferences? 

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

*To manually delete Photoshop preferences:
Quit Photoshop.
Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder:
MacOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note:
The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html
Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on a M1 Mac mini. I ended up downgrading to 23.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having time out issues in Photoshop. Especially using blending options screen functions. 

I'm working a project and its now frozen and I can't save. HELP!

[Branched from another thread and renamed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you the author of the thread on the other account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JonesBee wrote:

I am having time out issues in photoshop. Especially using blending options screen functions. 

Im working a project and its now frozen and i cant save. HELP

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Community-Help/Guidelines-Tips-for-the-Adobe-Forums/td-p/4788157

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on my Macbook Pro. I have deadlines early next week and now I need to downgrade photoshop. Adobe should be refunding us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how you know your issue is same as of original poster?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my issue? All I did was piggyback from reading the responses provided to the original poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When he's back with details we'll have most possibly 2 unrelated problems in one thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate