• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop can't open, freezes on splash image, uses all of ram trying to open then crashes.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have googled every possible variation of this problem and tried every fix for this problem, none of them worked. I have tried reinstalling photoshop, deleting everything even remotely related to photohop in the appdata, deleting custom fonts, restarting the computer, updating graphics and computer, and holding every possible combination of alt, ctrl and shift while trying to launch in administrator mode. The result is always the same. It opens the splash image, gets to loading preferences or brushes, spikes RAM usage to every last byte of RAM I have, freezes the computer, then crashes.

And no i'm not running it on a potato i'm running it on an Alienware Aurora 4090, it should have more than enough power to handle this and Photoshop ran perfectly fine for months. Then just today it crashed and has never started up again.

Photoshop version 25.11

Help.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

UPDATE

As the team investigates this issue, it has been determined that if you remove these beta apps:

• Media Encoder beta
  • After Effects beta
  • Premiere Pro beta and
  • Character Animator beta

your other Adobe apps should open as expected.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 630 Replies 630
630 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting Beta did NOT work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything, even the Creative Cloud Cleaner, it still doesn't work, pls someone help

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used CCleaner - deleted Photoshop Beta and it still freezes up. roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PB28 did you remove all betas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete EACH AND EVERY BETA you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for everyone still trying to fix it, the problem seems to go away after deleting Adobe Media Encoder + the (Beta) of Media Encoder, which I have no idea how I even had, I've never downlaoded the beta of it, anyways, uninstall it from the Creative Cloud App, as well ass from the CCleaner, I only selected photoshop, and media encoder in the CCleaner, I didn't delete anything else, now photoshop works, I hope this works for others too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted all the Betas and Photoshop now works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! many many thanks roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you guys, it worked I deleted all my betas

Thanks for the help.

Michael Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg THANK YOU i deleted my media encoder and not it workss!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MY APP FREEZE WHILE WORKING I DID A HARD START AND IT REFUSED TO REOPEN AND I HAVE UPDATED ITS STILL NOT OPENING, IVE DOWNGRADED VERSION IT STILL DIDNT OPEN. WHO CAN HELP M,E OUT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PHOTOSHOP NOT RESPONDING. HOW CAN I FIX THIS TO START THE APP

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying unsuccessfully to open photoshop: whatever I try I get stuck on the splash screen. This issue has persisted across different versions of photoshop (2024: 25.11, 25.9.1, beta: 25.12, 25.11). I've tried removing preset files (as per https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/freeze-on-launch.html) and entirely deleting photoshop settings folder for each version. I've also tried uninstalling and re-installing photoshop - no success with any approach. The splash page remains unresponsive - it runs out of application memory and requires a force quit. Interestingly, photoshop also opens on 'adding extensions... Halide bottlenecks' (even after only just being reinstalled), which I was led to believe from a comment whilst researching this should be the last stage at launch not the first (unsure if that's relevant).

As far as I can, the issue may have started when using After Effects beta content aware fill - which launches photoshop (beta) to create a reference frame. At least, this seemed to be the first case where photoshop became unresponsive at launch. 

I'm on an M1 MacBook pro, Sonoma 14.5.

Any help greatly appreciated, I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, both Photoshop and illustrator not working and sometimes freezing the whole computer. 

The Memory consumption is crazy high, it seems something related to the updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES CONSUMING A LOT MEMORY OVER 95 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Mine started when trying to edit an image that was open on Lightroom Classic. Since then neigher the Photoshop nor Beta will get past the splash screen. I've also tried reinstalling, restarting, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW looking for other people having the same problem it seems that if you uninstall Media Encoder, Premiere, After Effects (all beta version) it will work. 

If not, try also uninstall and reinstall Photoshop and Illustrator, it worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to open Photoshop but it won't open.  
I tried re-installing and restarting my computer, but nothing works

The activity monitor shows that Photoshop takes 80GB of Memory, but I have only 32GB, I don't know what to do

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 20.03.50.png

I have MacBook PRO M3, Sonoma 14.2, System Version 15.0 (15.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted all beta and Photoshop opens.  I hope this is fixed.  I work in photoshop beta all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to get into photoshop beta after deleting Media Encoder Beta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m reaching out to you for assistance with an issue with Photoshop and Illustrator.

When I launch either application, the initial splash screen appears and then hangs indefinitely. In the "Force Quit" menu, both applications are listed as "not responding."

I use these programs every day for my work, and this problem started just yesterday. I'm quickly falling behind in my work and need a resolution as soon as possible.

I used both programs a few days ago without any issues, and I haven’t made any changes to my system that I’m aware of. Here are the troubleshooting steps I’ve already taken:

• Relaunched the applications several times, while resetting the preferences
  • Restarted the computer multiple times
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled both applications

Interestingly, Premiere Pro and After Effects do load, though they take longer than usual. Acrobat, on the other hand, works perfectly fine.

Here are my system details: iMac 27-inch, 2020, 10 Core i9, AMD 8GB Graphics Card, 64GB RAM, Running macOS Sonoma 14.5

I would greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions you may have to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your help!

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED: 
I uninstalled Premiere Pro BETA and Photoshoped opened in 1 second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried several times to start Photoshop from the Creative Cloud Desktop App. Each time I select Photoshop, the PS start screen comes up and goes through the startup process. When "Reading preferences..." comes up it freezes there and will not respond. A couple times it just sat there like that for several minutes until I fore closed it other times it just closed on its own without opening Photoshop. I tried opening Photoshop Beta and had the same issue. 

I've rebooted several time to see if that would fix this issue but it hasn't yet. Other applications, AE, PR etc. open without issue. 

Anyone have a clue as to what needs to be done to remedy this issue?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, uninstalling all beta apps was the solution to this panic-inducing work-stoppage issue.
Thanks, @westxguy !

Upvoted

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any Adobe beta apps installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any Adobe beta apps installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate