Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop opens window too small when using external monitor

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version; 22.5.1

Reproduce: Have a non-retina external monitor connected to a Retina Macbook as the main screen. Open a file. It will open at 100% but with the window sized smaller than the image.

Expected: Files used to open with the entire image visible within the window, so you don't have to resize the window, nor click the green mazimize button.

Seems this issue was introduced after version 22.4.3; See these two discussions for further explanation / confirmation of the problem:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-2021-documents-opening-in-s...

and

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/why-is-the-window-too-small-when-i-op...

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title}

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the April 2022 release of Photoshop 23.3. This update includes the fix for this issue.

To update Photoshop to 23.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Hi PECourtejoie -- sadly, it continued to happen when I set the application frame. I was thinking I was overlooking a Preferences setting, or didn't have the righ menu item checked/unchecked. But your suggestion of using the Script Events Manager was spot on. At first I was confused by the instructions on that page and thought I'd have to write JavaScript (I don't know how to write JavaScript), but then I saw the screenshots here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/fit-on-screen-automatically-in-photoshop/m-p/10576298 

Votes

Translate

Translate
68 Comments
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.1.1 still did not fix this... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable. Come on Adobe, we are paying a monthly subscription for this. This kind of issue should be ironed out more quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I edited a photo in Camera Raw and I want to open this photo as stand alone in Adobe Photoshop ( so, NOT as tabs ) I'm unable to get the photos shown at its full size fitting in the frame as I used to. Instead of that I first have to zoom out manually to make the photo fit which is very annoying!

Who has an solution for this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mohit,
Has there been a resolution to the issue? After several updates, the problem persists. Are you hopeful for any progress?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started out of nowhere after updating to PS 2022 and is intensely frustrating. Every image that I open in PS displays as a cropped window, forcing me to hit command+ (which sizes to 200%) and then command- to get it to 100% at a proper window size. It's tedious and annoying - can anyone pinpoint what changed in the update to cause this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by "Cropped Window". Zoomed at a fixed size? AFAIK, this has always worked this way, at least for me on Mac. Images open at differing zoom sizes based the resolution of your display and the document AFAIK.

Quick way to get to 100%: double click on Magnifier tool.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following example uses "Fit on Screen", however the action or script could just as easily use "View > 100%" or "View > 200% > 100% etc.

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2021/10/photoshop-script-events-manager.html

EDIT: Or is this an issue with floating windows vs. tabbed windows and or other settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video, to explain the (mine) situation. "Impossible to get the opening on maximum available space... issue!" (PS 23.1.1).youtu.be 4nwl8r8YNJY 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on a fix? I'm running Photoshop 23.1.1 and it's still bugged on my primary (external) display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.2 and STILL no fix...

So WHEN is this really bad and annoying bug going to be fixed at last?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, 23.2.1 did not fix anything.

5 months and still no solution... how much more ridiculous is this going to get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe! ... Is the cure in sight? ⊙﹏⊙

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.2.2 still no fix.
Just plain embarrassing, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit, 

In October last year you said this bug was logged and the fix was being investigated.

Why has it taken so long? It is now halfway through March.

Is the amount of users who use dual monitors really so small that Adobe doesn't care about keeping us happy?

We all pay substantial subscription fees for silly new AI features that we don't use, meanwhile the core of the application is hobbled with this bug.

Please fix it, it can't be that hard. Prioritise it now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the April 2022 release of Photoshop 23.3. This update includes the fix for this issue.

To update Photoshop to 23.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It's muchbetter, but still not perfect. https://youtu.be/_7TBdi3NlrU  The images adapt according to 4 available ratios (approximately: 33.3%, 66.7%, 50% or 100% for the small ones) BUT do not really open to the maximum of full, height or width, screen work. Its make progress 😉
[Trying to open new documents in Photoshop 23.3.0 (April 13, 2022 - France). On a secondary screen (NEC spectraView ref241) from a MacBookPro 15" retina.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It seems to be working correctly now.

Thanks, Bill

Bill Waltz
Brade Waltz & Associates
Direct: 704-829-7882
Cell: 704-650-4952
bill@bradewaltz.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The latest update did not fix this issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate