System:

Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1

Photoshop Version: 

Issue:

- I create a rectangle using the Rectangle Tool

- I change the size of the rectangle

- I duplicate and move the rectangle using Option, Shift, Drag

- The duplicate rectangle reverts back to the original size

I've attached a short screen recording that demonstrates this issue.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.5. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.5, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Thanks. Got the file. Just moving that group will change it's shape. I'll ask the engineering team to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate
29 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share your source PSD for us to help troubleshoot/reproduce the problem? Us CC files or dropbox to share a download link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent it to you as a message.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Got the file. Just moving that group will change it's shape. I'll ask the engineering team to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last few months, the rectangles I create using the rectangle tool frequently resize while I'm working on my files. I have to keep readjusting them and keep an eye on them to make sure they haven't changed when i'm not looking. Also, in trying to resize a page (so i can share a low res file), the rectangles shrank random amounts so completely unusuable. It's a clear glitch or some setting that went astray but it's driving me mad and wasting a ton of time. Appreciate any advice or updates. I'm using a Mac OS Catalina, and photoshop 23.2.0

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, Jeffrey - that certainly sounds similar! It's possible the rectangles are resizing to how i originally put them in. (I'm a comic book maker, and i'm using the tool to create caption boxes). It doesn't always happen and not consistent in how it jumps around - but it's like there's a ghost version of it larger (or different sized) than it should be and then i have to go resize again. It also now has four small circles towards its four corner that i don't remember seeing when using these before. And finally, as mentioned in my question, when i lower the resolution to save a small version of my file, the boxes all change sizes. This issue definitely didn't exist before february, so i'd say it started sometime between now and then. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a file that reproduces the problem? If so, if you can share it, I can get it to the engineers along with the OPs file that reproduces the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you or your team have any idea what is causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't share the file that i'm having the issue with - it's enormous and my work, but i'm sure i could easily make a small file that has the same issue - it's happening all the time. The rectangles change sizes at random, or maybe go back to their original size as first created (Which i adjust all the time as i'm editing text and placement). If that's not enough information to test this out, i'll try to make one that you can have engineers play with. Thank you, N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi again, Jeffrey - i created a quick doc with the rectangle tool and some lettering on it, and even though it's small (i thought maybe the error was coming because of file size), it's already starting to show up when i adjust the size of the boxes and move things around. And reducing resolution to 300 moves all the boxes to different sizes. Can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpmjgdpm7plyml8/Sousanis%20Rectangle%20tool%20error%20example.psd?dl=0. And i still want to know what those four circles mean when the rectangles are active and using the rectangle tool - i never saw that before in using it. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bumping this up - this issue continues to be giving me an enormous headache as i use a ton of these rectangles on every page, which was smooth sailing for the last several years... Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really hoping there's a fix for this and soon - it's giving me giant headaches - they change size all the time whenever i move them and if i try to resize the page, they all go haywire - so it's pretty untenable. Has to be a solution. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Its been a while since I posted this issue and still have not received an answer to it. It is obvious that this is a major issue for a number of people. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed with KD360 - this is a crazy frustrating issue that didn't exist until a few months ago, but it's been maddening since. Would really like to see it addressed - thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi again, Jeffrey - in case this got missed before, i made a file that shows the problem:

hi again, Jeffrey - i created a quick doc with the rectangle tool and some lettering on it, and even though it's small (i thought maybe the error was coming because of file size), it's already starting to show up when i adjust the size of the boxes and move things around. And reducing resolution to 300 moves all the boxes to different sizes. Can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpmjgdpm7plyml8/Sousanis%20Rectangle%20tool%20error%20example.psd?dl=0. And i still want to know what those four circles mean when the rectangles are active and using the rectangle tool - i never saw that before in using it. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, this is becoming a giant problem - i really am hoping you all can respond and correct this. Besides the random size shifts the rectangles make when i'm moving them around, they also do the same thing when i reduce the resolution on the image so i can more easily share this - which now makes reducing file size impossible, as i'm not going to go through and fix all the wrong boxes - it wouldn't match up exactly with the hi-res version! This didn't exist for all the years i've used PS - really need it fixed - thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, is there going to be a fix for this? It's a nightmare and clearly a software bug introduced recently. It never happened before ~February, and rectangles simply will not stay at stable sizes. It's shattered my ability to use the tool. thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i'm still struggling with this and hoping there's a fix. It's been over two months now and it's making my work a nightmare. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, i'm a little disheartened at where this stands - still persists, no update or retro-dating. I did check and it seems that the same problem is not happening on my PC laptop (this issue is happening on my iMac). Perhaps a difference in the two versions or because i don't use the laptop for this work, it's just as possible i haven't gotten around to updating the software yet. Really hoping you can offer some kind of response and update soon.

thank you!

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nsousanis and @kd360  We are really sorry that you are facing this issue. We are able to reproduce this issue with the psd files that you both shared. But we are not able to reproduce this issue by creating new rectangle shapes using the rectangle tool. 
It would be really helpful if you could share the steps that you followed that lead to the issue. A video recording would also be great.
By any chance, did you open these files in a previous version of Photoshop and then when you came back to Ps 23.x, you started seeing this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

responding to Ridam - i made a video of how the problem happens https://www.dropbox.com/s/kp1st8wmh2kwkq8/Sousanis%20rectangle%20error.mov?dl=0 

I create a rectangle using the rectangle tool, i switch to the rectangular marquee tool to move things around and change sizes. It's not always immediate, but once i've changed the rectangle's size - all subsequent moves will revert to that original size. This never happened before. Also, i never had those blue dots in the corner when the rectangle tool is on/creating one. That happened at the same time that this all went haywire. I did try this on my pc, which i don't think i've updated PS and it seemed to work - so it doesn't seem like it's the file themselves. On my mac, where i do this work, i did not open them in a previous version - i've not adjusted versions at all. Hoping this helps get a solution to this frustration. 

Thank you,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nsousanis - Thanks a lot for sharing the video. We ate able to reproduce the issue with the steps in the video and we are working on a fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glad to hear it! This has been a long time in coming - hope it's an easy fix - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just pinging again on this to see if there's been any progress - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate