• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save As - the focus is not in the file name field - macOS Monterey

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Save As (PS 23.0.0 and Monterey 12.0.1 the focus is not in the file name field. When I click into the field and type one character the filename extension (i.e., .jpg) gets added and the cursor goes to the end of the extension so I end up with filenames like "p.jpgrestofname" 

Seeing the same thing in Lightroom when printing to a JPG file (screen shots attached).

John

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Hi all,

Apple released public macOS 12.1 update and it should resolve this issue for all of us. Could you please update the macOS to 12.1 and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Please update to macOS 12.1. This OS update should fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Hey John, this is a known issue with Monterey: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos12-monterey-known-issues.html We're working with Apple on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
47 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving via "Save For Web" and start to typing the filename, for example: "file", the filename will be always broken and will look like "f.jpgile".

Tested on MacBook Pro M1 Pro, MontereyScreenshot 2021-11-02 at 17.52.55.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, this is a known issue with Monterey: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos12-monterey-known-issues.html We're working with Apple on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the previous version of photoshop, the .jpg would be wiped away when you typed the file name... very annoying. Now with Photoshop 23 (on mac monterey), we still have a naming but, but it's even worse. What ?!?!?!?!. I pay $49/month for this? You should be embarrased Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So with the latest version PS/AI driving me crazy as I try to save my work, every time I'm trying to rename file in save dialog app randomly inserts extension somewhere in the box. Both in photoshop (22.5.2) & illustrator (26.0.1), MacOS 12.0.1. Ive reported it via twitter but of course Adobe didn't even replied.

Video showing bug — https://www.dropbox.com/s/zogsrlnwdktszdm/Screen-Recording.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of MacOS are you using? I'm not seeing that in Photoshop and MacOS Big Sur. Could it be caused by some utility that you have installed?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I begin to type the word photo on a save as soon as I type the letter P the software adds the .jpg ending. It's driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps nobody here has been brave enough to jump to Monterey yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and it's super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got my PS on my Mac with Monterey to do it twice. I can't repeat it every time and once I started typing and retyping, changing file format etc. it didn't do it anymore. I tried a bunch of times to get to do it. So there is something happening but for me it's not consistent.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever saving a file in Photoshop, after typing a single letter it now automatically inserts the file extension after that first letter. So if I try to name something "Photo.jpg" for example, I'd type in "P" and automatically get "P.jpg" Meaning I was getting a lot of results like "P.jpghoto" when entering file names.

Tried to show in the attached screenshots - first screen shot shows the file name selected when save window opens (also somewhat annoying that no longer is the default when going through "Save As"), the second shot shows what happens after pressing the "P" key. Third shot shows what happens when trying to type in "Photo" as a file name.

Happens in both Save As and Save for Web. Using Photoshop v 23.0.1 on MacOS Monterey v 12.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

To preface my questions, my setup is 2021 MBP on Monterey 12.0, using Photoshop Silicon 23.0.2 release (but this was happening on my previous release too). 

Now here's my issue (and I have video documentation of it):

When I go to save a file (any file, any file type) and the text dialogue opens up with the name of the file (be it existing, or untitled), as soon as I start typing, it places the first letter BEFORE the file type extension, then the rest AFTER the extension. So for example, if I go to save a new file this is what I see:

Untitled_1.psd

The entire text is highlighted (even the file type extension)

Let's say I go to type the name 'test' into this field as the file name. This is what appears on screen:

t.psdest

The letter t (first typed) goes before the file type, then the remaining letters 'est' go AFTER the psd extension.

Needless to say this is driving me insane. This is also effecting InDesign and Illustrator for me. The only way around it is to Command-A select all and type the file name (which removes the extension), or manually put my cursor into the spot and type - but by then my typing instinct has already kicked in and I now need to also delete everything I typed 'after' the extension.

Obviously any help appreciated, and wondering if this is a rarity as a search online hasn't yielded any results with others having this issue.

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop while saving a file.

Try resetting the preferences by: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Backup your preferences prior to resetting by: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tarun,

reset the prefs as per your suggestion. Didn't work. 

I also noticed the following:

if I type the name (example above) and then use the keyboard to delete using backspace, more shenanigans.

I type t.psdest

then I use arrows on keyboard to go backwards to delete the 'est', and if I type at that point, I get this:

t.psdt.psd

this repeats upon every backspace to the end of the extension, so if I want, I can get it to do this:

t.psdt.psdt.psdt.psd

This has also been tested in InDesign and Illustrator - same thing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

I apologize for the above statement and after checking with the team, it was found to be an ongoing issue and our product team is working on it.

You can check the issue here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-save-as-the-focus-is-not-in-the-file-name-...

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update to macOS 12.1. This OS update should fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe spent over 2 hours remotely controlling my machine the other day and couldn't find the problem.  The problem DIDN'T occur when I signed in as a Test User so they suggested working in the test user mode and then transferring the files over.  Not the best idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Monterey 12.0.1 as I wrote here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/save-as-overwrites-name-with-filetype-upon-e...

the saving behavior is broken when Finder > Preferences > Show all filename extensions is enabled.

Correct behavior should be to never add the extension in the text field, unless the user specifically types it; or else it should be what TextEdit does, which is highlight the name but not the extension. In any case, it should certainly NEVER automatically add the extension to the name in the text field if you select-all the text field and type a character, or if you hit backspace. This is an Adobe bug, not an Apple bug.

Another related bug in Monterey 12.0.1 is that the Save As... dialog only even has cursor focus at all about 50% of the time you use it. Try hitting return the first time you open it; it should save, but it doesn't. Similarly, tab doesn't work to select the name, because the dialog pops up and then loses focus. After playing with it I think it may have something to do with not using an application frame; CC is playing terribly with multiple desktops and when you turn off application frame, the toolbars show up on every desktop you have open. Another serious bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour à tous, 

Je solicite votre aide car sur la quasi totialité de mes logiciels Adobe je rencontre un problème lors de l'exportation, ou de l'enregistrement. Difficile de l'expliquer, je joins une capture vidéo. Mais au moment de rentre le nom de mes documents la terminaison change toute seule. J'ai les dernières versions des logiciels (quid d'avoir tout retélécharger au cas où, hélas rien n'y fait). 

Rien de grave mais je perds de temps à faire des command + A à répétition pour pouvoir correctement nomenclaturer mes documents. 

Merci d'avance ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, je ne vois pas la vidéo, et je ne comprends pas le problème. Quels types de documents? Avec calque, 16bits? faites vous un enregistrer sous, ou un enregistrer une copie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, 

Veuillez m'excuser pour la vidéo, je pensais qu'elle s'était correctement uploadé. Mon pb concerne la MAJ Monterey sur Mac, merci d'avoir remonté ma demande sur une autre discussion. 

Le problème persistait avec enregistrer sous, exporter, enregistrer une copie, etc peu importe le calque, puisque j'avais le souci avec tous mes logiciels.

Merci encore pour votre réponse

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working in photoshop 23.0.2 on Mac Monterey 12.0.1 photoshop will automatically add a .jpg to the file name. So for example if the file name is going to be 234.jpg as soon as I type 2 it will add .jpg. This will happen even if I have selected the previous file name and start typing it will do the same thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the way round it is in Finder Preferences.  In Advanced, un-tick the 'Show all filename extensions'.  That seems to have solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, Thank you very much for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate