• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save for Web, unable to use short cuts in save dialog (Copy/Cut/Paste) file name

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am saving a file for web, I adjust the size of the image or file and when the dialog box opens for me to put in my file name, I hit command+v to paste in the name I want to use to save the file. However it doesn't paste in the save as dialog box, it pastes in the height dimension box. I have made sure my cursor is in fact in the 'save as' dialog box however no matter what I try, I can't paste in the box unless I right click in the dialog box and click 'paste'.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

This has been fixed. I can't say what version it was addressed in but can confirm that in version 22.4.3 on MacOS you can indeed now paste/copy/cut in the Save For Web file name field now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
35 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop? What OS/Version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC and OSX 10.9.4
Before I upgraded to Photoshop CC I was using CS5 and I never had any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I'm seeing this. A workaround is to hit [Return] or [enter] prior to hitting the save button. Then the string will be pasted into the file name field. I'll have someone look into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet! Thanks for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet it's still happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates here on this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue.. 

Photoshop CC 19.0

OS X 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command+V does not work in the save as dialog box filename field. I do batch conversions with a filename in the clipboard and the keyboard shortcut for paste does not work with Catalina macOS. I can right click the mouse and choose paste or use the menu bar, but keyboard shortcuts have no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, specifically in the Save for Web dialog box. This makes an already rather annoying workflow INCREDIBLY annoying. There seems to be some issue with the focus in this dialogue box altogether, as it is not possible to click Esc to close the first dialog (where you set the size, quality etc) when clicking Esc to get back from the Save for Web dialogue box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with me aswell doing my head in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was hoping either the latest patch for Catalina (10.15.1) or the new Photoshop 2020 would fix this issue but unfortunately neither have made any difference!   😞

This has gotten so frustrating that I now do my production work requiring this functionality back on my Windows 10 machine just so I don't waste time going from keyboard to mouse back to keyboard constantly. I can still right mouse click inside the Save for Web dialog box to paste the text from the clipboard, but this really slows me down rather than using keyboard shortcuts for my workflow process. Prefer MacOS any day of the year but sometimes you just have to do what is required to get the work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit the folder path in this script, save it as 'Fast Save.js' in Applications > Photoshop > Preset > Scripts and you can use it from File > Scripts menu. It will prompt for a file name and will save for web. (It overwrites without a prompt, so be careful!)  You can use it with actions.

// Fast Save

//Save for Web Options
var sfwOptions = new ExportOptionsSaveForWeb();   
sfwOptions.format = SaveDocumentType.JPEG;   
sfwOptions.includeProfile = false;   
sfwOptions.interlaced = false;   
sfwOptions.optimized = true;   
sfwOptions.quality = 90;

// Folder
var saveFolder = new Folder('~/Desktop');

// Extension
var saveExt = 'jpg';

// Ask for name
var docName = prompt("File name", ""); 

// Save file
var saveFile = new File( saveFolder + '/' + docName + '.' + saveExt );

// Save for Web
activeDocument.exportDocument( saveFile, ExportType.SAVEFORWEB, sfwOptions ); 

Posted two others in https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/Photoshop-Script-for-faster-Save-for-Web/td-p/10735828

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying a layer name to clipboard and pasting the layer name to the export file name in 'Save for Web (Legacy)' does not work when using CMD + V. Myself and a few others have this issue.
Photoshop Version: CC 2020
macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMD+V does not work in the naming input field in Save for Web / Save Optimized As dialog box. In order to paste a name I now have to manually select the standard file name using the cursor, being careful not to select the file extension, right click and select Paste. Only then does it work. When you're resizing and saving hundreds of files this way it takes A LOT of extra time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? It's been months now and multiple PS updates, but no fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix the save as dialog box to work with Catalina. This issue is a serious workflow buster. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following update to Catalina and Photoshop 2020, 'Save for Web (Legacy)' does not recognise standard keyboard shortcuts cmd+c (for copy), cmd+v (for paste) or cmd+x (for cut) in the filename field. 'Edit' flashes in the menu bar when the combinations are pressed, but they have no effect. Right-clicking does bring up the cut/copy/paste options, which do work. But for accessibility we need the keyboard shortcuts to work as they always have in the past. The keyboard shortcuts work in all other apps, and they work elsewhere in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to copy a layer name using 'command + c' (on Mac) then Export As (Legacy) and 'command = v' to paste the name, nothing happens. 
I tried using the menu and that does not work, either.
However, using the mouse right click pop-up menu does work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Denny,
If you're referring to Save for Web on Mac, there is a known problem on Catalina with shortcuts, but otherwise, this should work.  Are you running Catalina?
Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys, does anyone at Adobe read these comments? It's been 6 years since the first one and you still can not copy and paste a file name. That seems like a pretty simple and "take for granted" functionality that most users would just expect. Is there a long term plan here? Can you give us a year count down on when this might be addressed? 6 years, damn.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was acknowledged by someone at Adobe in the earlier thread, but it was moved into this extremely old one that's been collecting dust ever since. If everyone who has me too'ed the issue can create a new issue instead, perhaps Adobe would see that it is a big issue for a lot of users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem in the latest version of Photoshop and Illustrator CC on a brand new, up-to-date Macbook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently noticed that when doing a Save for Web (Legacy) the file name text field is neither copyable or pasteable. By contrast, a Save as... will allow me to copy and/or past the file name. Not sure if this is tied in with the other naming issues like the file extension being highlighted but weird that it is locked for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Running PS 21.0.3 and I've noticed an annoying glitch (was also in the previous version) and now it's just too time-consuming so I need to ask what am I doing wrong. But this was working fine not so long versions ago.

If I use cmd + shift + s I can paste (cmd + v) any text I want to use for a file name. Text/name from email, web, word...

If I use cmd + opt + shift + s copy-paste (cmd + v) is not working at all. This is insane 'coz working with mouse Right click + paste is... huge step back.

And another annoying thing.
When I want to save file for the first time a generic, system, automatic,... name is generated and is highlighted together with .jpg (for example). If I just use a copy-paste text for name and hit save the extension .jpg is gone.
So much working with Right mouse click that it's insane!

Restart, reset PS settings,... not working or helping. Just more lost time to set up everything back as I wanted to have.

THANK U!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Problem:

OSX 10.15.5
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9