• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Scanner driver problems in Photoshop CC and CC2014 on MacOS

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update scanning method for MAC with Photoshop CC or CC2014. (Currently cannot scan directly anymore from my Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner to Photoshop. It used to be so easy. Now I have to use Epson or Mac to scan, save as TIFF, and then open in Photoshop. Very clunky and time consuming. Not a solution.) Please fix this glitch.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014
Joan, can you try the 15.2.2 update that was released tonight with Image Capture and let me know if you get the dialog more than one time?

Votes

Translate

Translate
27 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the 4490 have a TWAIN driver?

Do you have the TWAIN plug-in installed for Photoshop?

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/t...

(The CS6 plug-in should work in CC)

Personally, I do all my scanning in the background with the stand-alone scanner software. All TWAIN really does is call that software, so there’s no quality difference, plus you’re not locking Photoshop up just to doing scanning. You can retouch and edit images in Photoshop while you scan in the background – which I find is far more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Epson has a TWAIN driver and it's downloaded. In addition, the TWAIN plug-in for PS is installed. I have talked twice today with tech support and am told that the CS6 plug-in only works with PC, not with Mac, which was an unpleasant surprise. I don't like the extra step of scanning in one software, saving the file and opening it in another. Also there is a color quality difference that's notable, with PS being far superior to Epson. It was easy for many years but now it's a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Mac TWAIN plugin on the link I provided.

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Directions for sharing your system info from Photoshop:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There shouldn't be a difference between scanning with the standalone software or from the TWAIN interface. As I stated above, it's the same software except that opening the scanner interface locks up Photoshop from use while it's window is open. You should be able to configure the standalone Epson software to automatically save the file as TIFF and open it in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did ask Epson if uncoils do that and was told no. Adobe said the same ninjabe to scan, save and then open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC also supports Apple's ImageCapture drivers, but it only allows a single scan per session (due to an Apple issue that we are trying to work out with Apple).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So nothing to be done really. Seems the issues are interlinked, it seems. Hope they are worked out with Apple soon. It used to work so easily and hoping it can be that way again. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw my horrible typos. I asked Epson if I could scan in their software and have the image open up directly into Photoshop and was told no, that I have to save the TIFF and then open it separately in PS.

Hopefully Apple Image Capture will be updated to allow more than one scan per session.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is quite true. It is unbearable to be forced to use a stand-alone application, whereas in previous versions of photoshop it was so easy to scan inside the application. This is very important for the workflow, how to be effective otherwise?Vuescan on mac crashes because he wants a 32-bit version of Photoshop CC, and this version does not exist for Mac OS, unlike Photoshop for Windows, which exists in 32-bit and 64-bit. It's intolerable, when we know that quite a number of illustrators, graphic designers or photographers are working on Mac OS. Adobe expects lazily third-party developers to do the job for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vuescan should work fine in 64-bit as long as your hardware supports it. Have your talked to Ed about your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but good idea, I will, thanks. My two scanners (Epson Perfection V750 + Epson Perfection 1650) make VueScan 9.4.54 crash just after the preview is done. My only solution for scanning is to use the EPSON scan 5.1.0f0 stand-alone app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to confirm, there are two different downloads (not 'Universal'). One for 32bit, and one for 64-bit. This is the 64-bit version: http://www.hamrick.com/files/vuex6494...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just scanning a project now and remain frustrated at Adobe's refusal to work with the industry scanner standard-bearers like Epson. Takes twice as long now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey ! I just downloaded the 64-bit version and installed it. It still crashes just after previewing the scan. Into Photoshop CC and as stand-alone app. I don't understand... and I will ask Ed Hamrick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been working with them for many years. That does not mean that the drivers always get the necessary fixes, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop working with them. Sell your own scanner. Sell an Adobe Scanner machine. Create a new scanning experience, with a real good scanning app : you are Adobe, please be better than Evernote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, you are not the first person to suggest this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joan, can you try the 15.2.2 update that was released tonight with Image Capture and let me know if you get the dialog more than one time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Jeffrey, I just updated to 15.2.2 and did two test scans, each with multiple images. Did one page and then the next successfully. What a relief. At least I consider this a workable situation now. Assuming this will work on Yosemite? I have not yet upgraded but plan to within the next month, or whenever my current projects are done. Many thanks to you and your Adobe team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work on Yosemite as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah ! After installing the 15.2.2 update, Image Capture works well with Yosemite, except a little display bug (scan resolution choice, but it's easy to get around the thing by switching between grayscale and color mode, and go back to the resolution mode drop down menu). It's possible now to scan multiple images, opening in Photoshop CC if the option is checked. This is the solution that I will use from now on, instead of Vuescan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am very relieved that I don't have to buy Vuescan now. But hope they do fix the scan resolution dropdown, as that is something that should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully installed Photoshop CC 2014.2.1
A scanner is connected: EPSON PERFECION V700 Photo

When importing from the scanner, it works the first time.
After saving the first scan, I click import to scan a second image.
Then Photoshop won't generate an over view for the scanner, I can not scan more then once. In order the do a second scan I must restart PS every time.

I have tried calling customer support, they recommended I update PS.
I also updated the scanner for this iMac.

Do you have any advice?
This system is fundamentally important to our business which has come to a halt because of incapability to scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to use the Apple Image Capture, which is ok, although I preferred scanning through the Photoshop program. Have not yet found another solution, unfortunately. Some feels it's an advantage to keep scanning in the background with a separate program. Hope you can make this work.

Votes

Translate

Translate