• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Shortcuts using Alt key aren't working correctly (e.g. Alt-Backspace)

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to press Alt-Backspace two times in a row to get it to fill foreground color after updating to CC 2018 this morning. Is there a setting change I need to make or is this a bug? Thanks for a quick reply. This is a big part of my job as a comic book colorist and driving me nuts today.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017
This should be resolved in the 19.0.1 update released last night. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know if it's fixed for you!

Regards
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 116 Replies 116
116 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue reproduced here on Windows 10 with CC2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am a professional comic book colorist who uses this shortcut hundreds of times a day. I just updated to CC2018, and am having the same issue. Sometimes it just doesn't work at all. This really breaks my whole workflow, so hopefully a fix is forthcoming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Also, my shortcut used to be Alt-Del on windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for reporting.We are investigating.
Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. If I press Alt+Backspace twice on the keyboard, it will work. However, I have a button on a Wacom remote set to the same shortcut, and that one will not work no matter how many times I press it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Razor Nostromo has almost the same issue. I have to hit the bound key many times randomly to get it to work, but never works on the first press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here too @ save for web. Shortcut works only every third or fourth time. Even not possible to type in number at font line-height. outputs a random number.

uninstalled it and installed 17

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is intensely annoying. Please tell us that we don't have to wait till the next full release to get this bug fixed.  CC2018 Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We found a temporary solution at work that gets rid of this annoying issue. 

Go here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/apssistant/downloads
And download the latest version: APssistant 0.8.0.0.7z

Unpack the zip file -> run config -> disable the things in the hotkey tab (I don't know what they do) -> make sure "disable alt menu" is checked in the "anti-disturb" tab -> In the general tab, press "browse" and find photoshop 2018 (program files -> adobe -> photoshop cc 2018 -> photoshop) and select it. 

And there you go, it works as normal again. At least I haven't run into any issues yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just uninstall it and install previous version via Creative Cloud . It's so easy and you can continue earning money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This partially works for me; the shortcut on the keyboard works perfectly now. However, it still doesn't work on the remote button I have set to the same shortcut. At least it doesn't make the error noise anymore, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with all alt-hotkeys, like alt+shift+letter hotkeys for changing blend modes: they BEEP first and work on the second hit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also works partially for me: alt+backspace works from the first hit but things like changing blending modes still don't :(. Thanks though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here, but also things like CTRL+Z (undo) or CTRL+ALT+0 or CTRL+ALT+I or CTRL+ALT+C etc... so many keyboard shortcuts either not working at all, or working very randomly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here (Win 10) even the psassistant doesn't help
It's a huge trouble! Ctrl + Alt + Z is like daily water!
Also Alt + Backspace is highly used in my case and needs to hit the keys two or three times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already posted on the main Adobe forums, but I wanted to come here and do my part to escalate the seriousness of this issue.  I have been using Photoshop for 19 years and I work as a professional designer.  I taught Photoshop classes for 8 years and literally the first thing I did after having the students make a new document was press Alt-Backspace and Ctrl-Backspace about 20 times to get a feel for the proper way to fill something. 

I consider this to be THE most basic function in Photoshop and for it to become broken by a CC update is... disturbing, to say the least.  Please stay focused on keeping the important, basic features of the program working properly instead of adding more bloat and pointless bells and whistles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop for 22 years in animation, film, game dev and other odd projects.  I'm astounded this error passed the development team and it begs the question as to the quality of their testing environment.  Cmon Adobe, pick it up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, John, you and I know that it was much more important to get those Rich Tooltip popups working so that we can be told how to use tools we've used every single day for years.  What do we need hotkeys for, anyway?  We should just use the paint bucket like MS Paint users.  It's good enough for them, so why not us, too?  I think if we're just patient and wait for CC 2019, it might get fixed - but only after they finish adding the in-app pop-up spam for Adobe Stock like they did in Illustrator.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this response from an Adobe employee in another thread. Here's hoping it gets fixed soon as I rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts and muscle memory cannot be undone overnight 😞

"There is an issue with the Alt+ modifier key on Windows we are investigating. This is not an intentional change."

Re: Step Backwards and other keyboard shortcuts broken CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue on windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup at first I thought it was me and that I had to restart the program, that didn't work. Then I rebooted the computer and then started it, that didn't work.

Really messing up my workflow.

Hope it is fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not much to investigate. The Alt key when pressed automatically goes to the top menu ... But you should only do this if you press and not when "hold"! Understood? The Alt key does the same thing every time. It does not matter if you pressed or held go to the top menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, same problem. I did find that if I hold Alt and press Backspace 5 times really quick, it manages to fill for me every time. Hopefully Adobe will get it back to normal soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on Windows 7.  If I do Alt+Del and hit the Delete key a second time it works, but it's really frustrating not having the Alt+Backspace fill shortcut that I've been using for years.  Come on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and another here!  Guessing this is an issue for all.  Please fix this urgently!  If you're going to push major updates out without basic testing like this, really should be hotfixes for issues like this a lot sooner (and more often!)

Votes

Translate

Translate