Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Spherical panoramas 3D view low quality

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i work with 360 panorama images taken with dedicated cameras
and sometimes i need to edit the pictures (remove tripod, fix other parts)

all worked fine with this workflow:
3D - spherical panorama from layer - making the needed changes on a new layer - merge down the new layer - export panorama.

but recently i noticed that when opening the panorama image in 3D view, the details become pixelated horribly.
and so if i make a change (healing brush), that part of the image will not be the same quality as the rest.

strange thing is that if i just export the image without changing anything, the quality is still perfect!

see the attached image, all i did was copying my head next to the original, using the workflow above, and exported the pano.
as you can see, the left is sharp (even though in 3D view it LOOKED pixelated!) and the copied one on the right IS pixelated.

so it seems to me that the 3D view is the problem.

noticed after installing PS 2020.
but even when i try it in 2019 (which worked fine before) now it's the same issue there as well.

Bug Unresolved Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
72 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with everyone on here. I shot 8K 360 Photos on the Insta360 Pro 2 and when I export them from Photoshop 2020 they come out with terrible quality. 

I've had better exporting with a GoPro App but does anyone have any other Apps or workflows that export with the sharp, clear quality we all desire!?

Nick Roth
Clockwork 9 - Cleveland, OH

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say in the meantime don't make spherical panorama out of your images. if you can hack it work directly on the equirectangular image (for color correction) and view your as 360 in another app. or use Flexify 2 plugin for photoshop. or do it in after effects with VR Comp Editor workflow or other methods like converting it to cubemap, then to photoshop, then back and revert to equirectanguler (basically same as flexify 2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new update just arrived

issue NOT fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzL3vTYU-bQ

it helped me.

So basic. I do my edit it Spherical panorama mode then double click on the SphericalMap tab under the layer. It opens back to and equirectangular image and the quality isnt lost when I save from this new layer.

I also have to switch Images Mode view from 16bit to 32bit or 8 bit or whatever works to get the right colors.

Hopes this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it hasn't been solved, here's a workaround: Use DAZ studio (free) and set the pano as an Iray HDRI map (environment map).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

issue NOT fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I’ve had to switch to affinity photo to do 360 edits now and it works so much better. But I know and like photoshop so I would prefer to use it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

issue NOT fixed.
FU Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There. Not sure if my problem and solution relates to yours, However, I notices that the 3d export is insanely small. If I input a 11mb Jpeg, I export a 1.2 Mb Jpeg from 3d. Its very noticeable in most 360 viewers.

My solution, and hopefully yours, is:
1) Import Raw with Camera Raw. Do all the fiddling there.
2) Do not Open Object as smart object! After Camera raw, just click normal "Use object" (Do net click "Alt"-"USe Object".
3) Edit the Photo as a flat image. (Do the photoshop stuff you can now.
4) Flatten the layers to one layer.
5) Go to 3d, select the "New panorama from selected layers"
6) Image is now 360, do the Nadir and Stitch line fixing now. 
7) Once done, DO NOT click Export 3d! dOn't even look at it... just leave it alone!
8) Below your layers, Double Click on "Spherical Map"\
9) This gives you a new tab, that is not 360, but a flat Equirectangular image again.
10) Go to normal Export as: "Whatever you want"
11) Resolution and file size makes sense again.

Hope this helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephanie,
thanks, it helps with the final export size,
BUT it is not the issue i reported.

the issue is with step 5) "New panorama from selected layers".
when you use that, it opens a low quality canvas, meaning the clone stamp tool is useless, as it is copying a low quality part of the image.

with the latest versions (like, last 2 years...) of PS:
no matter what you do before and after, step 5) 6) ruins everything.

can't you see the quality difference when you try?
do you use the latest version of PS?

if you use an old version, f.e.: v19.1.2 2018 - no issue.
after that, Adobe ruined it, and never fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ae can do this. you could create a vr comp and export to photoshop, fix, then place it back . you can also use the stamp tool right in Ae if you want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hei Andrew,
the team is still investigating the issue, for 5 months now...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the meantime until PS will fix this annoying bug, I made this tutorial to show how to fix a panorama in a lossless workflow with after effects:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MKBfw8YsIrj9Mj2cb2C395iYjZLWtFxX/view?usp=drivesdk

you could use clone in after effects too, but wanted to show how you could use photoshop tools to fix/enhance a panorama without losing quality. you import the image to after effects, create a comp from it, use the vr comp editor to create a 2d edit. in the edit find the location you want to fix. lock the camera. export a frame to photoshop. fix it. import it back. place it in the comp. export the output comp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean yes... Up until now I mostly only concerned myself with the upload on matterport side, thats why I fixed the export quality. 

Not sure if this might make a slight difference, it did for me:
Change the FOV back to correct size? Mine kept jumping to 8mm, however It should be 1.

Does that help you? There is still def a quality loss, but for my workflow it is good enough...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This truly and insanely ridiculous. I seriously cannot believe that this is still an issue after so damn long. I have been patiently waiting update after update for it to get fixed, which really shouldn't be difficult to do since they had it right at one point in time. Like how difficult is it to go look at your code from a previous version for the 3d module and just see where you messed up. For everyone looking for a better solution, use Affinity  Photo, you can do the work just fine in there. Soon Affinity will become the preferred image/design software just like Davinci Resolve is taking Premiere Pro's place, Adobe should go sit in the corner and die.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew, you and the entire team at Adobe are useless.. Just really want you to know that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v 21.2.1 update just arrived.

had high hopes as it stated: "This update addresses several critical bugs, crashes, canvas drawing errors, and painting issues."

well, the canvas loses resoluation after the making the layer 3D -> Spherical Panorama -> New Panorama Layer From Selected Layer(s). Once that happens, the healing brush tool picks up this low resolution.

issue NOT FIXED.

Andrew, his engineering team, Adobe support - all totally useless.

my only solution is still to go back to an older version of PS,

for example: 2018.v19.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old version is a lot better but I've done a few tests with it today, it's still not perfect. Still blurs the edits slightly. But you will only really see this when you are working with higher resolution panos, like 8000x4000 and upward. But it is still at least 5 times better than the newer versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your answer but when it comes to retouching like removing the tripod then there is no way around that you load your image in a spherical editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export from Lightroom (edit in -> edit as smart object in Photoshop) I cannot really comprehend the issue that Zoltan described. However, any attempt for editing (e.g. stamp / healing tool) does not work afterwards. So PS is completely useless to remove the tripod in my 360 images. I contacted Adobe support but they just wanted me to - as so often  - reinstall the whole thing. PS v21.2.1 - How can we emphasize the issue towards Adobe? The bug seems already present for quite some time now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with the shity 3D view quality
https://youtu.be/nnduG0eWvzw

I chatted to Adobe Support. Sample files were sent to them and they saw the issue. I hope they will fix it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image is not available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,