Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Stops detecting graphics processor after image resize

3 Votes
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has no issue detecting my graphics processor on launch and through most prcoesses. However, if I resize a photo or image, there's a brief flash of white and I find that, if I go to Preferences/Performance, the graphics processor is no longer detected. Photoshop runs normally after this - I don't detect any slow-downs, etc. - but this only began happening with the update before last. I've never had this issue before and I've been using the same graphics card for a couple of years now.

Any ideas? My thought is that it's a bug in the latest iterations of the software...

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020
Photoshop's GPU requirements have increased.    If your card is not supported you may need to upgrade your graphics card.   For example Jim's "AMD Radeon R7 250 Series" card is very old and is not supported:   https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html#Unsupportedgraphicscards     It scores less than 700 on this benchmark: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html    More modern cards that have been released in the past year or two that score in the...

Votes

Translate

Translate
47 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,
Can you please provide your Help -> System Info, for both before and after the image resizing?

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue here. I have very powerful machine, but if I resize a little image (for exmple, from 200x200px to 1000x1000px) the GPU stops to work and the scrubby zoom or rotation stops to work and I have to restart PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, et al: I may be misinterpreting what I see in the System information, but here's my observation. Installed RAM 8,130, Memory available to Photoshop 7,423 which is a little over 91% even though further down it says that 70% is allocated.  If it really IS 91% then your OS is probably having to swap to disc or some other function has to, and things crash...

Built-in memory: 8130 MB
Free memory: 5196 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 7423 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My memory usage settings are:

Available RAM: 7422 MB
Ideal Range: 4082-5344 MB
Let Photoshop Use: 5195 MB (70%

That was the default on install and probably always has been since I've never changed it. I also have never had this problem and I've been using PS since Photoshop 6.

It's also probably useful to note that this problem doesn't happen if I resize using the "Fit To" presets. In other words, if I choose to resize a photo that starts at 4032 x 3024 pixels at 72 dpi by using the 8 x 10 at 300 dpi preset (which sizes it to 2400 x 1800 @ 300 dpi), there's no problem at all. PS still recognizes my graphics card and all is well. However, if I manually put in those numbers, I get the problem (screen flashes white for an instant, the photo resizes, but PS no longer recognizes the graphics card.) This behavior only began, incidentally, after the update before last. Historically, I've never had this problem and have been using this same machine for the last couple of years.

Should my memort settings be different than they are? Interested in your further thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I defer to Andrew Sender, who is an Adobe person; I am a user... for what it is worth, I have 32 gigs of RAM in my PC and sometimes have to pause what I am doing and shut down all the many iterations of my browser (Chrome) to free up RAM. Things do get weird when I forget to do that periodically. You only have eight gigs installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just had another thought on this. If the computer is a laptop, it would be sharing system RAM with video, which make available RAM for OS and applications even smaller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a desktop machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think that Andrew Sender will jump back in, perhaps after the weekend! I have experienced that as new versions come out things like updating video drivers and have a lot of RAM make a big difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No doubt about the RAM but I've been fine with 8 GB and the kind of work I do with PS. This issue didn't crop up until the latest PS updates. I also updated the video card driver, too. Being an Occam's Razor kind of guy, I'm thinking it's related to either of those new circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibility (1)  Photoshop's new changes advanced.
Possibility (2)  Your computer did not advance.

You can fix either one: (1) Downgrade to prior version
                                              (2) Upgrade computer, add RAM and consider new Video card
                                               (1, 2) wait to see what an Adobe staffer might know about work         
                                                          arounds or adjustments to settings. I would do that last one                                                                  before spending any $$.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right- it might be worthwhile just waiting for the inevitable bug fix. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the printouts!  I created an internal ticket with the GPU team with these details.  I'll be sure to follow-up on this.  Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Andrew. Please let me know if you find out anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,
My colleague noticed your GPU is an AMD Radeon R7 250 Series. Can you please try reverting your GPU driver to an older version?

Sincerely,
Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I notice you have very up to date drivers. Thanks for keeping your machine maintained! I see tons of reports with ancient drivers. 

Searching online, I am seeing some issues reported with the 3110.7 OpenCL driver, so am wondering if there has been a regression. 

Some questions to help us diagnose:

Do you recall if the GPU failure happened the first time you tried to use image upscale in the session?

Does it reproduce if you restart Photoshop?

Assuming you can reproduce it, if you go to preferences->performance->OpenCL and turn OpenCL off, does the problem persist?

Thanks,
Chuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew - I rolled back the driver to a version where I know Photoshop was working properly (April 1 release) but now I'm seeing the same error (i.e. after image resize, PS flashes white and then no longer recognizes graphics card).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

If you go to Preferences->Perf->Advanced and turn off OpenCL, can you reproduce the problem? 

Thanks,
Chuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck - the issue is hit or miss but is generally able to be reproduced and yes, it usually happens the first time I try resizing an issue in the session (and again, it only happens if I manually put in image resize numbers. It doesn't happen with any of the preset sizes.

Restarting PS doesn't resolve the issue but sometimes it will not present on first resize in the session but most times it will.

I turned off OpenCL and restarted PS. Still see it on initial resize (PS recognizes the GPU on startup but after resize, a flash of white and then the card is no longer recognized. However, the resize is always successful and PS seems to work normally afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my comment above to your other post. OpenCL off seems to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck -

Just to update, turning OpenCL off does has no effect on this issue (though I originally had hopes that it did since I was able to resize once without an issue but then the problem returned after PS restart.) Also, the PS update that was pushed yesterday that I just installed also didn't smash this little bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chuck. I disabled the OpenCL and it worked perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh... I disabled the OpenCL and it worked... until restart PS... the problem returs 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines