• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Switching between documents in Full Screen Mode displays black areas (macOS GPU issue)

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use switching between images using Command ~ shortcut in the Full Screen Mode with Menu Bar, or Full Screen Mode to compare the changes I've done between 2 versions of an image.

This isn't working on 21.1.0 on the new Mac Pro. When in Full Screen Mode (with or without Menu Bar), once I switch between 2 images twice, regardless if I select them in the menu or press Command ~ the image shifts to the left half of the screen and the rest of the screen is black.

Screengrab attached, the pixellated thing is sample image. It's not showing anything in the black area.

The only way to get rid of this problem is to untick 'Use Graphics Processor' in Performance, which obviously I don't want to do. The settings in 'Advanced Graphics Processor Settings' have no effect on it, tried unticking all boxes and using 'Basic' drawing mode, and some other combinations.

System info:
Mac Pro 7,1 2019
GPU AMD 580X
OS X Catalina 10.15.3

I tried 21.1.0 on my old 2013 Mac Pro and no problems. Though it runs on Mojave, not Catalina.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
This issue should be fixed in the 21.2 update that went out this AM. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020
Hi Sam,

Your post is very informative and thorough. Thanks so much for your help! This is under investigation but I added your info to the case.

Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:
"Downgrading" to 21.0.3 has removed the problem, so this isn't something intrinsic to the 580X graphics card on new Mac Pro.

If there isn't some other annoying bug I'll stay on this version until it's fixed, it's really important for my workflow to be able to flick between images using Command ~ in Full Screen mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to downgrade to 21.0.3 for different problems, but just so you know, ctrl+tab functions the same as command+~ (as long as you don't have a curves dialog open, then it moves between points)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, thanks for tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam,

Your post is very informative and thorough. Thanks so much for your help! This is under investigation but I added your info to the case.

Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for looking at this Hannah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update - this was still an issue in 21.1.2, so have rolled back. But tried to explore more about it before doing that.

The issue happens whenever tabs aren't used. Please see video.

It starts with 21.1.2 with freshly reset preferences, and all is fine with Command ~ in Full Screen Mode and Full Screen with Menus.

Then at about 0:28 I free the documents from their tabs, and the issue appears again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in the 21.2 update that went out this AM. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for looking into this guys.

I've updated and tested 21.2 with freshly reset prefs and unfortunately still having trouble. It's still like in the video above.

It only happens when the documents are in windows, not in tabs.

For a while I've been using the latest version regardless. The workaround for this is Window - Arrange - Consolidate All to Tabs. I like the windows though, as I can drag layers between documents easily, so after I'm done with visually comparing the documents in full screen mode I would run Window - Arrange - Float All in Windows.

Anyways, thanks for having this on your radar.  I'd be happy to beta test for this problem if you'd like me to.

Looking forward to explore the new features / other fixes in this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add, if I have multiple documents. Lets say 5. If I switch trough docs screen cuts black mostly after doc5 switches to the doc1 and then glitch stays unless you go out of full screen mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I have still the same problem in PS 22.1.0

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Photoshop spanning multiple displays?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey!

Its like this:

Sometimes it does not help to quit the program, but I have to restart the computer.

Have had the same problem with my Imac and now my brand new Macbok Pro 16 ".
Has the latest software on Macbok.

Best regards Tom Riis

Votes

Translate

Translate