P: Taking forever in Reading Preferences

2 Votes
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CC installed on a fast SSD, Photoshop startup is usually done in a few seconds, but lately is taking around 2 minutes in the “Reading Preferences” start stage.

I have done every existing throubleshooting recommended like resetting or deleting Preferences folder and files, manually, or trough Ctrl+Alt+Shift option, I have unistalled and re-installed, etc. but the problem persists like if CC were back in an old and slow mechanical HDD.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

@RosaPerry and anyone else in the thread who finds presets (.psp files) that cause this issue, engineering would like a copy of .psp file to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

@Jeffrey Tranberry  I found out that my Styles preference was actually corrupt. I deleted the preference and now when Photoshop starts, reading Preferences only takes about 3 seconds instead of 50 seconds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to do a Clean Install of the NVIDIA driver? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/95834/clean-driver-install/

Then, see step 7 here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html to change the preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor.

The Intel 630 is not a supported card for Photoshop.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep tried all that. I've downloaded the old nvidia driver my laptop came with and I'll give that a try and get back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the intel uhd 630 drivers installed I get no report of incompatibility from PD. When gtx 1650 installed I get error message saying it's not compatible. Are you sure you have got your facts right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So downloaded nvidia driver from dell website, which is older than the one nvidia detects for my system, and loads faster. Preferences about 9 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So not changed a thing and PS back to its usual useless self. Ages to load reading preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
When the intel uhd 630 drivers installed I get no report of incompatibility from PD. When gtx 1650 installed I get error message saying it's not compatible. Are you sure you have got your facts right?

From engineering: "The posted system info shows it's taking a ridiculous amount of time to get data from the GPU. I strongly suspect the drivers here - it's also a laptop which means that newer drivers straight from nvidia might not work properly. Their final message says that the old Dell laptop driver gets preferences loading in 9 seconds - not great, but not terrible either. That might be the best we can do if Dell isn't producing more up to date drivers."

Typically, newer drivers and using the discreet, high performance card is recommended. Given the above statement, you probably want to stick with the laptop vendor delivered drivers.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate