• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Text size isn't being remembered between documents

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous versions of Photoshop. The Font and size were remembered between documents. Now the font is remembered, but the size is automatically changing to 38.25 pt

I would like it at 10pt, and remember that it needs to stay 10pt.  I remember a bug a few Photoshop versions back, resetting the font to Myriad Pro each time. It's acting just like that, only this time, it's the font size, not the font type. The fix for that was to turn on "fill with placeholder text", but that isn't working for this issue.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Photoshop 24.7 or later calculates the default font size based on document resolution and zoom factor. 

To disable this feature and return to the legacy behavior, set "DefaultFontSize 0" in PSUserConfig.txt.

Please read:

Then, scroll up to the top of page to see how you can set up PSUserConfig.txt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Updating the status

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
26 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Photosop CC 24.7.0 yesterday & immediatly found this bug.

I use the type tool to caption my images. I use Segoe Print, Regular, 14pt, Sharp.

Since 24.7.0 each time I re-open the tool the pt. size has changed to 36, without me doing anything, so that I have to change it back to 14 again before further use. It has never don this before no matter what version of Photoshop I have used.

This is on a fully updated PC using the current version of Windows 11.

Looking forward to a fix in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Canaryfan1 go to the type tool with no file open and change your settings in the options bar above to set your default size and font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have done as you suggested but it has made no difference at all. I have also got the latest Beta, Photoshop 25, & this behaves in the same way. Each time I go back to the type tool the default point size is 36. I cannot get it to retain my most used point setting of 14.

Would be interested to hear further from you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did find a quick fix, but it's not optimal. I created a tool preset that had my desired font and size and assigned it to an action. So when I load a document, I can change the font to the one I want with a hotkey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I can't edit or delete my reply. My fix doesn't work because as soon as you switch to another document, it reverts. At least now it's changing to size 24, so we're getting closer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the pixels per inch (ppi) numbers in your two documents.

Font size in points is a physical size measure, dating back to lead typesetting. To translate that to pixels, which is all Photoshop understands, the ppi number is used for the translation. That means the same point size appears very much bigger in a 72 ppi document than in a 300 ppi document.

The font size in both these documents is 36 points. Both are 640 x 380 pixels, but one has 300 ppi assigned, the other 72 ppi:

ppi.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your response. That would be the case if the document sizes were different, but in the work I do, they are all the same size and DPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse I think I understand the OP's issue, I created 2 default documents, both ppi and dimensions the same, on the first one I set the font size to 50 pt, type some text and then when I click on the second tab the font size reverts to 24 pt instead of staying at 50 pt

image1.pngimage2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK, got it. But if you re-set the same point size again, everything is correct and consistent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open three buttons to label. All three images are the same size and dimension. I select the type tool and type. Once it is labeled, I save and close the image. Normally, moving to the next image, I can click on the image and continue in the same font and size. However, since this update, the size has changed to 24 or 38.25. when I change images and try typing again.

I test it another way - I close all images and I open one. Label it save it, and close it. Open the next. The font size is different again. 

So it makes no difference if the images are all opened at once or one at a time. The font size keeps randomly resetting to something else. Nothing I can do will keep it on size 10.

I hope that explains the problem a little better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ged_Traynor Yes. This is what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me and my team are having this exact same problem. All three of us get completely random size fonts all the time--anywhere from 6pt all the way up to 400+pt.  I have found when I open a new document, depending on the resolution, it will change it. For example, a 150 dpi image will default to 36 pt, a 200 dpi image will default to 27 pt, 300dpi--36 pt, 400 dpi--27 pt, 500 dpi--27.92pt. But those are just what it is defaulting to, once I click the type tool to start typing, sometimes it jumps up to the 400+pt or sometimes it is at 6. It is super frustrating when you have one or two font sizes you are always using and it constantly changes, and you never know what its going to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 24.7 or later calculates the default font size based on document resolution and zoom factor. 

To disable this feature and return to the legacy behavior, set "DefaultFontSize 0" in PSUserConfig.txt.

Please read:

Then, scroll up to the top of page to see how you can set up PSUserConfig.txt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm naming my next child after you. You RULE!!!!!  That fixed it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This fixed the problem.

I will say that there must be something wrong with the logic in there because I will often open multiple files, identically sized, identical resolution, identical zoom setting, and one would have a type size of like 9.85 pt, then the next one will be 390 pt, and the last like 153 pt. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem and this fixed it. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"DefaultFontSize 0" in PSUserConfig.txt.

This has to be the most convoluted remedy to this issue. This is apparently an issue with this latest version and should be fixed in an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help does anyone have any tips that may help this text solution in PS 2024. When I use the text tool and change the font size for example to 500 and then open another document to use the same size it somehow changes back to default. Where the older versions of PS never did this. I tried to reset that particular tool but no changes . Has anyone had the same issue and resolved it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@naccosme what happens if you change the font settings in the tool without any documents open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same behavior. The type settings have always been sticky - meaning they stay the same until you change them again. I'm now getting Myriad Pro 48 pts as a starting default. 

'

Kevin - I closed my files and opened the character panel. I was set to Arial 150 - the last one I used. When I opened a new document, it kept the Arial, but I watched it switch to 48pts. 

Very strange behavior. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX IT please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apoligies for the length of time between my last post & this one. My wife died unexpectidly a few days after the last post & I lost enthusiam for all my hobbies, including photography, for a while. I am now trying to get back into them.

I am amazed that the bug I have highlighted remains in the release version of Photoshop 25 & has not been fixed despite several updates of this version of the program.

I can't believe that I am the only user, amongst millions around the world, who is still suffering from this issue.

Is anyone able to offer comment on this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should professionals with many thousands of hours of earned experience making these custom choices suddenly be required to root around on the internet in order to dig up and apply a patch to the software?   It was sloppy for Adobe to suddenly enforce a  arbitrary default standard that overrides our own years of experience with the traditional default “sticky” behavior without including a preference setting to restore classic behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also puzzled by the change of text size when I opened another document. I would strongly prefer a preference, and/or a way to set the default size, as character styles are document specific, it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate