• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unchecking brush spacing breaks pressure sensitivity

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS version 23.0.1 (and a few older ones)
Windows 10

When I turn off "Spacing" to make my brush move faster (mostly used when smudging with large brushes that cause lag) I lose Pen Pressure or Pen Tilt control over the brush properties. The settings are available (no error warning), the preview stroke seems fine (thick and thin), it just doesn't acts like it's now there.

If I turn "Spacing" back on, I have full pressure sensitivity (and laggy brushes).

buggy spacing.jpg

Same issue with or without Windows Ink, and I tried rolling back to 4 or 5 old photoshop versions.

What changed recently? I'm using a new Huion tablet to replace an old Wacom Cintiq that broke, but while I was setting up the new tablet, PS had an update so I can't be 100% sure who's at fault.
I've tried another Huion tablet on my computer, same exact thing happens. Yet, both tablets, when used on my sister's computer with an ancient pre-subscription Photoshop, work flawlessly. That's why I have my suspicions that something is off with Photoshop...

Ideas?

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi @Claudia5C11 Thanks for throwing this out. Photoshop doesn't officially test or support Huion but some quick tests on my end with Wacom tablets shows me that if you are using WinTab (PSUserConfig.txt in Preferences folder), unchecking Spacing will indeed lose pressure/tilt.  If you remove or disable that file and use Windows Ink (enable in Wacom Tablet Properties, Calibrate tab), that might work for you.  It works for Wacom but since I don't have Huion tablet, I'm not sure of results there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
2 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Claudia5C11 Thanks for throwing this out. Photoshop doesn't officially test or support Huion but some quick tests on my end with Wacom tablets shows me that if you are using WinTab (PSUserConfig.txt in Preferences folder), unchecking Spacing will indeed lose pressure/tilt.  If you remove or disable that file and use Windows Ink (enable in Wacom Tablet Properties, Calibrate tab), that might work for you.  It works for Wacom but since I don't have Huion tablet, I'm not sure of results there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I figured that photoshop wouldn't cater specifically to more recent tablet brands, but since these act so flawlessly in every other aspect, I assumed they'd all be the same "on the inside"...

So, I went looking for that file and it was there! Mind you, I didn't add it, I guess PS made it when I turned Windows Ink off?! Anyway, I deleted it, made double sure that Windows Ink was ON at the tablet driver and... IT WORKED! It seems the issue is with WinTab, regardless of the tablet brand.

I have my favourite fast smudge brushes back. Awesome, thank you so much! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate