• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Various issues (Focus Area Selection)

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since downloading Photoshop 2014 yesterday, I've noticed a variety of issues that make the program almost unable to use.

1) Selection issues. All selection tools *seem* to work normally until I attempt to use the new focus-range selection tool. After doing so, any selection tool I use (lasso, rectangular marquee, etc) result in me getting selections such as these:

They consistently show up as selected rectangles of various sizes, spread out throughout the canvas. Any additional selections made from this point only amplify the errors.

2) Also possibly caused by the same tool, I started to develop other issues like layers disappearing from the canvas, despite being visible in the layer panel and visible glitches/artifacts on the screen when opening separate windows (such as the save window).

(Artifacts and visibility issues after taking a screenshot, pasting into a new window, and cropping)

I'm currently using Windows 7 on an NVIDIA gtx 670. I have all of the latest drivers, and have no problems with the regular CC version of photoshop.

I have also tried re-installing twice, along with disabling the GPU. No luck.

Rather humorously and ironically, I've had to use the previous Photoshop CC just to make these screenshots at all.

If I notice any other issues, I'll be sure to post them here, unless directed otherwise.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015
Fixed in Photoshop CC (2014.2) or later

Votes

Translate

Translate
66 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update your video card driver from Nvidia's website, not Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what i do. I even checked the website yesterday to make sure i had the current version....which i do.

I can, however try reinstalling it....so i'll report back when i do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same problem, and on my case if I use photoshop only all the selection tools looks fine but when I have the lightroom to export to photoshop, all the selection tool are fail, and the select looks different even zoom in and out.

I have uninstall the Photoshop CC and 2014m and re install the Photoshop 2014 only, the problem still exists, and I have try to re install the video driver 2 two time and with Nvidia clean install option. The problem still there

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what happened. I tried to use the focus area tool and I got all kinds of artifacting happening. Then I tried to use the quick select tool and quick mask and got all kinds of weird artifacting that could not be deleted. Today everything works fine. I will not use the focus area tool untill they fix it. ITs not my video card as all is well today and I am able to use the quick select and quick mask tools. The focus area tool is a good idea but looks like it need to be debugged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issues over the last couple of days. The root cause is the focus area tool! great concept but I have not been able to use it at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here for me: iMac running 10.9.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced this too. It seems to screw up a whole lot of stuff at once. If I use the brush on a document after using the Focus Area Selection it creates these smeary blocky patterns, and fill results in crazy rectanglish shapes with hints of my background layer's shape thrown in at random.

It only appears to affect the document on which the selection was run.

Using ATI Radeon 4500 (admittedly an old and underpowered card) driver 8.970.100.7000 which ATI and MS both report as being the latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on my iMac and MacBook Air.
Using OSX 10.9.3 (with all possible updates installed which were available)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are an Employee I hope you are reading this string.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try converting your document to 8 bit / channel and see if the problem goes away.

Also try turning off OpenCL in Photoshop's preferences, then restart Photoshop and try it on your original 16 bit/channel document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that and no luck. I even discovered it also happens when using the quick selection tool after a few complex selection attempts are made. I'm a portrait retoucher and for most of the techniques I use won't work as an 8 bit file. It has to be 16.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue on IMac running OS 10.9. Has anyone heard of a solution. Has Adobe addressed this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read back about 2 posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If those previous work around a work or if you have any luck with any other work arounds a let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We really do not need workarounds, we need the software fixed or just remove the focus area until it can be redesigned. Great idea just released before all the bugs were known.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried workarounds. Nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on a late-2012 i7 iMac with 32GB DRAM and 3TB Fusion. It doesn't happen on all images, just on some, but I haven't determined what triggers it.

It happens on both 8bit and 16bit images. It doesn't make any difference whether the Use Graphics Processor is checked or unchecked when I open Photoshop CC 2014. The 'bad' images still cause the problem and the 'good' images do not with the processor checked or unchecked.

The only 'fix' I've found is to restart PS 2014 and not use Focus Select on a problem image again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need you to TRY the suggestions to help identify exactly what you are seeing and what is affected. We haven't been able to reproduce this problem ourselves. But we suspect that some driver versions may have problems that lead to this problem. So we are trying to learn what factors are involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, D800 .nef files. Both my 2013 Mac Pro and late 2012 27" iMac have the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it really repeatable with a specific image? If so, can you send us a copy of that image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is repeatable and I can send you a copy of that image. Where should I send it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ccox at adobe dot com, and I'll forward it to the appropriate engineers and QE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Win 8.1 Nvidia GT650ti . Latest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.
Get artifacts in selections using focus area and quick selection tool..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate