• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting Pantone color with [space] from V4 book causing hang & crash, 24.1

Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue particular to the Pantone Solid V4 ACB color book files for creating spot channels in the 24.x (2023) version of Photoshop. This issue did not occur with the previous version, and does not occur with other color book files. (It also appears to be Mac-specific.)

Typing in any color name from the Library list, which should shortcut to the color, that contains a space will cause the application to pinwheel and hang indefinitely. (Often taking the system with it.)

When picking colors, some require the input of a space. For example typing in "black" will jump to Pantone Black C, but if you want another ink, you type "black[space]6" to get Pantone Black 6 C. There has also been a long-standing bug when trying to get certain 3-digit colors where there is a 4-digit color that starts with the same numbers. The only way to get the 3-digit ink is to type the three numbers + [space] + "C". (See: 449 & 450.)

Photoshop version 23.x (2022) doesn't have this issue using Pantone's V4 color book. Version 24.x (2023) on a Mac results in a spinning beach ball of death any time a space is entered. (Mixed results on Windows 10, sometimes it works, sometimes adding a space has no effect and the other color cannot be chosen.)

In light of recent events, I can anticipate the reply: this is Pantone's ACB file, not one distributed by Adobe, and it's on them to ensure it works properly. (which, given recent events, they're not likely to do.) This is not the first issue with the V4 library files.

I am posting this here because this issue did not occur with any previous version (2018-2022) and was introduced with version 24.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to do some testing on this as well.

Amybeth M
ACI G7 Certified Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as a test I tried the same operation with the older, original PANTONE solid coated (lowercase, not "+") ACB file in PS version 24.1 and got the same spinning beach ball of death.

I know Adobe no longer distributes these ACB files — I am using my own backup copies from paid, licensed versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be clear I will test with my back ups of .acb files from paid and licenced versions as well. thanks 

Amybeth M
ACI G7 Certified Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines