• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart filter mask became corrupted, creates banding across image

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so I just noticed this morning after opening up a project I am working on, that the mask for a smart filter I applied to a smart object has become corrupted since the last time I was working on the file.

I noticed horizontal banding across the object at first, and viewing the mask by itself revealed the corruption in the mask.

Banding issue on object.pngCorrupted mask.pngSuperimposed smart filter mask on object.png

The filter used was the Neural filter for removing JPEG artifacts, with the strength set to Medium.

Of course, this is annoying, but I can just redo the neural filter and save again. However if this repeatedly happens and spoils my work when I export it, it's a more serious problem.
The object is part of a much larger composition in the project. I work on and save the files locally on internal storage. I believe this happened after saving the project I am working on a couple times.
---
Steps to reproduction:
1. Open an image in a new PSD file
2. Make the layer a smart object
3. Go to Filter > Neural Filters... > JPEG Artifacts Removal
4. (Optional?) Set strength to Medium, then High, then Low, then Medium ... I changed it a couple times while photoshop was processing the change in strength - This may be relevant.
5. Click OK
6. Save
7. Restart Photoshop
8. Reopen the PSD file
9. Observe the issue (?)

(I have worked in video game QA for over 5 years but I don't have time to write this bug report and also reproduce this issue/make sure repro steps are 100% myself, sorry to the Adobe engineers if they ever see this and want to fix it/prevent it from repeating)

Operating systsem info:
Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 23H2
OS build 22631.3296
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22687.1000.0

Adobe Photoshop Version: 25.5.1 20240302.r.408 5a2e325 x64

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chemilinski just tested on my system and couldn't reproduce the issue following the steps you mentioned, looks to me like a GPU driver related issue, I'm running Windows 11 and Photoshop 25.5.1 with an RTX 3090 GPU using the Nvidia Studio driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is all I can say. I didn't think those would be repro steps, but I don't truly know how the corruption occcurred. This is just what I did, but there is no doubt an infinite amount of things that could've influenced the mask and corrupted it in-between those steps.

FWIW, I have an RTX 3050 Ti with the 551.61 Studio driver installed, which is was the latest driver, until this morning, as I see an update was released just today.
My PC is a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio (1) bought in 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ged_Traynor 
(surprised you cannot edit anything (?) here once you post it - Even WhatsApp supports editting sent messages nowadays)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: All other layers that had the neural filter applied as a smart filter, throughout the document, have had their masks corrupted in a similar fashion to what I've demonstrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines