• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Portrait gives "We've temporarily disabled this filter because of an error" after first use

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 23.1.1 (and other versions, as discussed)

Windows 10

Related or the same bugs have been reported on this forum before, but this is happening to me even on old versions, so may not be the same. I have tried to be thorough and give context so it is unambiguous what I'm saying is happening. Also I threw in a few related bugs discovered during the process of characterizing this accurately.

(1) Smart Portrait will only run successfuly once without restarting Photoshop.

"Neural Filters" launches a modal dialog in which you can select Smart Portrait, which opens a pane with a number of sliders. The first time you touch a slider, PS reports "Processing on the cloud" and gives you a progress bar. Then, when you tweak the sliders, it informs you that it's running the processing locally. I can tweak the sliders to my heart's content. I can then click "Okay" and the filtered data is output to a layer. This is all working as expected.

If I then try to run Neural Filter -> Smart Portrait again, then the first time I touch a slider, PS informs me it's processing in the cloud, but it then produces an error message (after the progress bar has only reached about 20%):

"We've temporarily disabled this filter because of an error."

Dragging the sliders around at this point produces the same error. Exiting Photoshop and restarting it fixes it, but starts the process over: it allows Smart Portrait to be used successfully once, and then further attempts get the same error.

I tried this in the following versions of Photoshop CC and had the same results in all four:

I also tried disabling GPU hardware acceleration and it did not affect the bug.

As an exception, after the first successful Smart Portrait step, I could repeat the filter with Alt-Shift-F without error. For example, I used Smart Portrait to change the eye direction, and then each time I prssed Alt-Shift-F, it moved the eye direction further and further, after some processing time. This is the correct, expected behavior. (The fact that this works might be useful for someone technical to help diagnose which part of the pipeline is failing for me.)

(2) Installing the Smart Portrait filter fails consistently on a fresh install of PS.

Smart Portrait is a filter that requires a separate 'installation' step, which it prompts you for when you open it. For me this filter installation *always* fails the first time running Photoshop after an installation. You must exit Photoshop and restart it before it will install. (I tried this with three versions of PS CC and saw the same behavior on all three, I believe I followed the instructions to cleanup the com.adobe.nfp.gallery/PluginData directory to simulate a 'clean install'.)

(3) "We've temporarily disabled this filter because of an error" is an unhelpful message.

This message appears in the scenario described in (1), and probably in other circumstances. The message does not communicate anything actionable to the user. For example, it's a cloud service, so it could imply that that there is a network error, and that the user should expect it to start working again spontaneously. However, in my case, the error is *not* temporary. It appears I could try repeatedly for hours or days and it would never start working again unless I closed the program and restarted it; but "we've temporarily disabled" does not communicate this in any way.

Since the message does not directly communicate anything actionable to the user, the only other thing the user can do is search for the message on the Internet. Unfortunately the Internet is full of out-of-date messages telling people to upgrade to 23.0.1 to fix some bug that triggered the message, which is not very helpful now (though I did try that version for completeness).

Photoshop system information output attached.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the error in Photoshop. Thanks for sharing all the necessary information with us.
It seems that your computer's graphics drivers might not be up to date. Could you please try updating the graphics drivers from Nvidia's website and let us know if that helps?

Also, Nvidia GT 730 is a 5 year old graphics processor and it doesn't meet the required average of 2000 operations per second needed for Photoshop. The issue may persist even after updating the Graphics processor. Check this link to know the score for your graphics processor: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html

Here's Photoshop GPU FAQ article for more information: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Us this optional extension for Disable GPU for Neural Filters to force Neural filters to use your CPU instead of your underpowered card:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html#disable-gpu-neural... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you, I have both:

1. updated to latest NVIDIA drives

2. installed the "Disable GPU for Neural Filters" setting text file

Neither of these, singly or in combination, have affected the behavior of the bug. (This should not be surprising, as all indications are that the failure mode is that whatever happens during the 'Processing in the cloud...' message is failing when run the second and successive times. It does not seem likely the failure mode is in the local processing, given that I can repeatedly run the local code by changing slider values and using Alt-Ctrl-F to repeat the filter. Of course, I don't actually know what happens during the 'Processing in the cloud...' message, so anything is possible.)

(BTW, I do have faster graphics cards, but they are in my primary development machines, which are Windows 7 and must remain on Windows 7. Since Adobe dropped support for Windows 7--quite reasonably, I'm not complaining, just explaining--I am running PS CC on my only Windows 10 machine, which was not meant for graphics use. If I can get PS CC Smart Portrait working reliably, I will look into setting up a more powerful machine, but for now, it doesn't make sense to invest that time, especially given that Smart Portrait is in Beta, so maybe it will never work reliably for me.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@seanb5451888 Engineering is requesting your Photoshop System Info. Please launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop System Info is attached to the first post. The only change since then is that I updated the drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact problem with the same behaviour and tested all  the previous suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you also post your system info so that @J453 and @Sahil.Chawla can report it to the Neural Filters team?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I installed update 24.01 and IT DOS NOT WORK!!!

Please Adobe do something!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@georgesd26819225 The original poster gave several troubleshooting steps, like deleting the neural filters cache, Then Jeff gave the suggestion to disable GPUs for old GPUs ( please attach the text of help>system info) could you share what you tried so far?

how large is the file?

is it well smart portrait?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here we are in 2024 - 25.7.0 release of Beta, and the problem is still here. The change eye direction is unusable even implementing the Adobe staff suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines