• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

150% UI Scaling Option for Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd been trying to get some feedback from the guys at Adobe regarding this, but seems like no one has seen or heard this pleas. I'm currently using a Surface Pro 3 to work on Photoshop, and while I really appreciate the fact that Adobe introduced the 200% scaling option, it's really too big to do anything productively. It's definitely usable, but is it the best scaling? I would really hope 150% scaling option to be added as well. So we could toggle between it base on our preference.

What do you guys think?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

The way this is supposed to work now, is that Photoshop UI scaling automatically follows the Windows setting, in 25% increments.

The crucial point is that the image window itself maintains independent scaling, so that 100% still means one image pixel represented by exactly one screen pixel. This is what's new, and this is what has been difficult to implement before. This is what took so long.

Note that this requires Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and it does not work on Windows 7 or 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 323 Replies 323
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/xam+xaman  wrote

I think Adobe will resolve this issue as soon as possible. Let see hope for the best.

I hope your right, this is coming up on 4 years old. At this pace you wonder how anything gets done, particularly now that everyone is paying gobs of money for subscription now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. But for EliteBook HP (Windows 10), after changing the setting also I am not able to fix this resolution issue.

Regards,

Sneha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wong,

You are absolutely right. Though Adobe Photoshop CC has no option to change the 150 scaling at high DPI then we should use the system setting to kept it working as well. I think Adobe will resolve this issue as soon as possible. Surface Pro is really incredible device for graphic designing and of course Surface Dial is very much important digital tools which you can do anything on your designing. Let see hope for the best.

Regards-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be added asap 😃 4k all that room and 200% feels like duplo. Please let us set the % value ourselves or add more stages like 100-125-150-200 at least. Pretty please! (can send Swedish Fish in return for immediate action and update). Will now try to modify my registry and hack my way to success .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coroners  wrote

4k all that room and 200% feels like duplo.

I'd just like to remind everyone that at 200% on a 4K display, the interface is exactly the same size as 100% on a traditional 1920 x 1200 display.

Nobody complained about duplo then...

Just goes to show how expectations change

Anyway, 150% scaling is currently in beta testing, and it shouldn't be too long. Most people really expected it in CC2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny how people keep showing up trying to tell us what we are asking for isn't nescessary.
For the record, what you are mentioning is NOT the reason at all why people are complaining...
So yet again I'll explain...
If I only had a 4K display it is NOT a problem. But, since Wacom doesn't deliver any larger cintiq displays in 4K yet, but usually you would buy a regular monitor now today with 4K, you need the programs to be able to adapt to both displays at the same time, agree?. Which the current photoshop Windows version does not. If you make the UI 200% for the 4K display you simply cannot work in Photoshpo on the Cintiq display, and if you keep it 100% so its workable on the Cintiq, the UI is super tiny on the 4K display. and the ironic thing here is that all other Adobe programs (including Photoshop on Mac) does this adaptation perfectly. 

and the others that have complained here that doesn't talk about Dual display issues, they complain because they have hybrid screens, like around 3K resolution, which neither 200% or 100% works properly (you have to choose between tiny UI or menus going off the screen)....which a lot of newer laptops today has....

...SO, I'd just like to remind you,  it's often good to read up on a thread before making assumptions and telling people how things are

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

donbarrum  wrote

It's funny how people keep showing up trying to tell us what we are asking for isn't nescessary.

...SO, I'd just like to remind you,  it's often good to read up on a thread before making assumptions and telling people how things are

Or you could research the apps you intend using your new monitor on, and get a suitable resolution screen.  For instance I have just bought a 32 inch screen, and knew better than to go beyond 2560 x 1440 resolution.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was on a 5K iMac two years ago but switched to PC. And Photoshop worked completely fine adapting the UI to each screen on the Mac. Should I not expect Photoshop to behave the same on a Windows machine? And nowhere does Adobe tell you that Photoshop, as their only program, doesn't behave this way on PC.
Or do you mean I should research a bunch of community discussions forum before buying a new machine? I must say that's a rather bold statement for someone who doesn't even read through the thread he is lecturing.

On a side note, as a paying customer to the worlds leading "Image Editing Software", you do kinda expect it to work on what is the current standards of professional screens and resolutions. Personally I wouldn't buy outdated hardware to accommodate Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Auto" setting in Preferences should switch automatically between 100% and 200%. But sometimes it gets stuck and you have to set it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no "Auto" doesn't work....It only works on loadup on the program, and the UI is still set to either 100% or 200%.
The ONLY thing Auto does is deciding for you upon restart which of the two UI sizes it should choose to use. But what we need is a UI that uses the size fit for the monitor the UI is being displayed on. So that when you drag a window from one screen to another it will adapt, even if these two screens are of a different resolution. Just like any other program I currently have works, including After Effects, Illustrator, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I was the same but after using 100% @ 4k I hands down prefer it now and my eyes have gotten used to it. Plus the extra screenspace is great. When I seen 1920x1080 again I thought there was something wrong with the drivers or the monitor. Would be nice to see how 150% looks but think I'll be sticking with 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just making sure everyone does know you can change it manually by clicking the percentage in the very lower left of the screen and typing your preferred setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is about UI scaling. Not the document zoom setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take the time to read through the thread to understand the issue at hand. This is about UI scaling, ie changing the size of the menus, toolbars, palettes, ect. for more comfortable use on high resulotion display or mixed resolution systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohnnyRandom  wrote

Please take the time to read through the thread to understand the issue at hand. This is about UI scaling, ie changing the size of the menus, toolbars, palettes, etc. for more comfortable use on high resolution display or mixed resolution systems.

Have  you tried overriding windows high DPI scaling. Set Photoshop UI scaling to 100% Photoshop shortcut comparability tab check Override DPI scaling behavior. Use the Pull-down menu to change behavior  From Scaling performed by: Application to Scaling performed by: System (Enhanced)

Then use Windows Display settings to scale each of your displays  by a percentage you want on yoy diffent DPI resolution displays.

Windows scaling scales all that the application displays.  No distinction is made between the Application UI and and image display.  Image and UI are both scaled.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, but this is not a serious solution.

A home improvement solution.....

In every program AI,ID the settings are different.

It works in AI, it works in ID - but it works NOT in PS

And i DO NOT change the scaling of Windows.
I change the settings of the program!!

Everything else is ridiculous!

Please try it on a 4k-Monitor.  I buy a 4k Monitor to scale it to a awful scaling???  Like Windows 1.0??

Certainly not.

The target is to change the scaling of the toolboxes and the menus - as in AI and ID.
And ONLY the scaling of the menus & toolboxes - as in AI and ID.

It's a mess that this still does not work.. when you consider the costs.

scaling.png
That's crap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gomi_at  wrote

In every program AI,ID the settings are different.

It works in AI, it works in ID - but it works NOT in PS

The explanation for this is very simple:

ID and Ai are vector-based programs. They work only by physical print dimensions, they don't care about pixels. Whatever the print dimensions are, it's just translated into the available screen pixels, whatever they happen to be.

As a result, ID and Ai can just scale everything by the same factor. UI or image window - doesn't matter. Throw it all in the pot.

Photoshop works by pixels only. At the core, Photoshop has no concept of physical document size. It has no size, only pixels. That means there is a direct one-to-one relationship between image pixels and screen pixels.

This has a significant implication: UI and image window can't be scaled simultaneously. They have to be treated differently, and this requires specific OS support.

Note that View > 100% means very different things in ID/Ai versus PS. In ID/Ai it means print size, physical size on paper. In PS it means one image pixel mapped to exactly one screen pixel, regardless of physical size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah... the menus and the size of the toolbox depends on vector or not... sorry... lol

So, the menu in AI and ID is vector-based?

"Physical Size on paper" you want print the menu-items and the toolbox? really? 

This is probably another topic...

100% and 200% sorry...

And now seriously - there are many many programs where you can change the menu size....

This is a basic requirement and ridiculous that this has still not been implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gomi_at  wrote

Ah... the menus and the size of the toolbox depends on vector or not... sorry... lol

So, the menu in AI and ID is vector-based?

I do not install Adobe AI and ID vector based application does Adobe offer UI scaling feature in these applications or is you OS scaling what AI and ID display.  Do these application have a UI scaling feature.  Is the scaled Image Adobe is displaying display at you display's native resolution or is your OS also scaling Adobe scaled image.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL other Adobe software scale the UI in HI DPI scaling and they are ALL adapting to the display automatically (100, 150, 200% or whatever.) this includes Premiere and After Effects too, which are not vector based programs and also any other tool Adobe has. (Including Photoshop on Mac). So this has nothing to do with vector programs or not, its just faulty on Photoshop in Windows. And Adobe has acknowledged this, there's all ready a version of photoshop where all this is fixed and it will be part of the official Photoshop very soon - when all bugs are squashed out.
Then all of this will just be a bad memory. But I have to say, the problem started when they implemented the HiDPI UI in Photoshop 4-5 years back, and it has taken Adobe a VERY long time to actually acknowledge that they messed up and decided to fix it. But they are, so apparently they agree to have done it wrong as well....so I don't see why so many on this forum tend to think it's how it is suppose to be and speculating in UI being in Vector or whatever. Photoshop is the only program I have on the machine currently that doesn't adapt fluently to the resolution of my screens. Which is a shame, since its the one program that I have which is most reliant on showing pixels the best and accurate way as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fiind what you write hard to believe for as far as I know there is no way to know what resolution a users display has.  The number of pixels a display displays can be found out but not the size of the display so a display's dpi is unknown.  You write the these other none vector Adobe application scale there UI automaticly.  To me this sound like they have no UI scaling option that they are using you OS display scaleing all the application displays is scaled by your system.  Image and UI are scaled by your OS.  Adobe application see your display as have fewer pixels than they actualy do when OS scaling is used.   It is like running an application in a smaller window. Then your OS scales what the application displaye in the smaller than screen size window to full screen.

With Windows 10 you can Override Photoshop Application handling of high resilution displays set CC UI scaling to 100% and use Windows Display scalling where all that Photosop displays will be scaled by windows. UI and Image.  Photoshop will run like the other Applications that use OS scaling.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack i tried to change the option's - this does not work.
Scaling on the desktop is very difficult - on the microsoft tablet it works fine.

And again - the MENU - has nothing to do with vector or peace on earth or anything....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you are not doing the setting correcty.   I have a desktop with three displays two are 20" 1600x1200 100DPI displaye the other a  24" 4k 3840x2160 185dpi display.   Using windows scalling I can have windows scale both 1600x1200 to 100% resolution and the 3840x2160 to 150% when I override CC highDPI scaling.  Photoshop see these displays as two 1600x1200 displays and a 2560x1440display.  With CC UI scaling set to 100% only windows is doing an scaling photosh's UI. Photoshop is only scaling image.  Windows also scale the image diplayed by Photoshop if it is on my 4k display.  Windows scales all the Photoshop displays on that display

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why this is hard to believe ? It really seems you don't want to understand how any of this works...
Every Adobe programs switched to HiDPI UI a few years back, every Adobe customer with a 4K screen should know this perfectly well. And it is very easy to see the difference if you are on a 4K screen ...the result is obvious and I know for a certain that the UI changes the resolutions themselves  - And of course the program knows the size of your screen (how can you believe it doesn't? ). And all Adobe applications unless you choose to set the UI to be controlled by the system, are controlled by the Application. I have overridden AE and PS to use the old lowres UI and have Windows scale it, because of photoshops buggy implementation and because AE currently has a overlapping issue in the in the UI ( this creates a more blurry image because the UI is "scaled" to 150% instead of using higher resolution UI images). But, I know for 100% sure that AE and Premiere and Illustrator etc are ALL with HiDPI pixelperfect 1:1 pixel ratio on the UI if you choose to keep them at default. I have a 4K screen and a 1920x1080 Wacom tablet connected. If I move the UI from the 4K screen to the 1920x1080 wacom screen, all the UI will once I release it, adapt to this screen and therefor reduce the pixel density based on the size of the screen. Its not controlled by the system and the program knows exactly well that what resolution the screen is. I don't understand why you would think they cannot get this information?

So I know what I'm saying is right, whether you agree or find it believable is up to you..... If you have 2 screens it will take you 5 mins to understand see that this is how it works.. And windows way of controlling the scale of the UI is not how any programs should work and most doesn't anymore... It is only meant as an temporary solution until softwares adapt to the new HiDPI system, just like iOS did when the iphones became retina (and scaled all apps unless the developer had fixed the app to support the new resolutions). And only a few programs left, including Photoshop, doesn't work properly. from those that I use at least.

I feel I repeat myself over and over here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know what you are doing wrong. What you are  writing about Photoshop and Windows  is incorrect. Perhaps this will convince you.  I do not have CC 2018 installed on the machine I have the 4K display on.  I use CC 2014 but CC 2014 also has Photoshop CC UI scaling which I set to 100% don't scale.

I show my  windows 3 display scaling settings  100% 200% and 100%  the middle display(1) is the  185dpi 4k display the other two 2 and 3 are 100dpi 1600x1200 displays.

Under those setting I show the beginning of CC 2014 System Info starting CC 2014 normally where Photoshop handles High DPI scaling on the left and when this is overridden where Widows System enhances handles scaling on the right.  Photoshop see Windows display 1 my 4k Display as its display 3.

On the left you see Photoshop see it as a 4k Display on the Right you see Photoshop see it as a 1K display.  Windows will scale what CC displays to fill the 4K display it will scale Photoshop 1K displays to fill the 4k display.

Capture.jpg

I do not install AI or ID but if they normally handle High dpi scaling you can force Windows scaling. You can override how scaling will be done

Current Photoshop UI scaling is global all displays will be scaled 2x UI.  My 1600x1200 displays would be like 800x600 displays Photoshop UI requires at least 1024x768...  Look at your Photoshop system Info display's info calulate the number of pixels Photoshop see for its ui.  Are they are 1/2 the actual number of pixels  CC auto is setting 200% for Photoshop CC UI scaling setting.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines