• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

20 minutes after launch, PS 25.6 becomes laggy, loses all GPU enhancements.

Participant ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop every day, and just updated to PS 25.6. Ended up reseting prefs, but there's a number of bugs, this is another one of them.

Seemingly quite random, after a while (and all of a sudden), any screen redraw or actions become incredibly laggy:

• Animated zoom stops working
  • Drawing/Painting, nothing appears until I release mouse/stylus button (same with: Eraser, Spot Healing Brush Tool)
  • Clone Stamp, paints only on first click, then nothing else appears until I release mouse/stylus button
  • Free transform, when scaling selection, no preview refresh until I stop moving mouse
  • Almost like it's defaulting to CPU rendering or something (I'm a gamer, and have no issues with my GPU).
  • When I use the marque selection tool, and then try and move the selection, I get a "Program Error" message. And if I use the Eliptical marque, I get a weird selection (see attached screenshot).
  • A quick restart of Photoshop, fixes the other problems.... then at some random time, it'll start happening again... could be half an hour or more.

UPDATE: So an interesting thing that may not be a coincidence..... pretty consistent, 20 minutes after launch.

On a hunch, I launched Photoshop, and when Photoshop had finished loading, I started a Stopwatch. On 20 minutes, there was a white flicker and lost all GPU enhancements, no animated zoom, and all the other lag issues (as above). I quit PS and then restarted PS. Started stopwatch again... continued to edit pictures as normal. On 20 minutes, it happend again. Third time, photoshop was fine for an hour. Then later in the evening (and again the following day), I started PS, started a stopwatch again, did some compositing, and other stuff I usually do... there was a Flicker, lost all enhancements like before, looked at the stopwatch and it was 20 minutes. I wonder if there's some timed process in PS, like a recovery save, cache management or something withing PS that is at 10 or 20 minute intervals?

PS 25.6

Windows 10

RTX 2070

i7-8700K, 64GB RAM

Photoshop on my M.2. Scratch disc on a second SSD with an M.2 as secondary.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does sound like your GPU is conking out.

You say you're a gamer, but Nvidia's "game ready" drivers are often problematic with Photoshop, The "studio" drivers are much more stable. There may be no problems in some other applications, but this depends on the specific calls the application makes to the GPU. Photoshop uses the GPU in ways not many other apps do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an nVidia Quadro P1000 on my Windows 10 desktop PC, using the 537.70 drivers.

When Photoshop updated to 25.6, I experienced freezing shortly after launching the application, then trying to open an image and pan/zoom around it.

I rolled-back to the previous 25.5.1 release and everything is fine, so have disabled automatic updates.

It's possible that my nVidia drivers are out of date, however I prefer to use a slightly older version of PS rather than have to constantly update graphics card drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I would normally agree, but like I say, I use Photoshop and Indesign every day... the very moment I upgrade PS and ID, I get these problems with PS and also I had Indesign crashing and corrupting files as a result, where Indesign has been pretty rock solid, and the previous version of PS was fine..... at this point, I think I will roll back to the previous PS and ID for now, maybe wait for the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The applications get updated, the GPU code is expanded and improved. This doesn't stand still. A "marginal" GPU/driver may work in one version and stop working in the next, because requirements have increased or error-checking added.

If you want this to work in Photoshop, installing the studio driver is the obvious place to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, thanks, I'll think about that.... like my gaming too 😉 ... just rolled back PS and ID for now, and when I'm not so much in a crunch work-wise, I'll do some more testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I installed the Nvidia Studio Drivers, and this problem still persists (PS 25.6). Launch Photoshop, then anywhere from 10 min, to an hour, you do something (like even just paint) and then all the problems start. I did notice when it started, there was an initial split second glitch, like a dropped frame (screen redraw) right before the problem starts. Then, restarting Photoshop, all fine until at some stage it starts happening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, another update... I used Photoshop yesterday for about an hour with no issue.... I am starting to suspect that there maybe another application conflicting with Photoshop that causes Photoshop to loose GPU enhancements and requiring a restart, as I didn't have a lot of other apps open.... so need to invesigate further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you like to try the previous version?

I'm sorry. You mean there was a problem after the upgrade.
I've also seen some PC's (GPU4080, latest studio driver) releases of Photoshop 2024 work abnormally slowly at times.
But it's not my main computer, and I only test it until the bug I want is fixed, so I went back to the version I used to use.
Currently I am keeping 2023 (24.0.1) as the last version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the 25.8 beta, which Creative Cloud notes was updated today.

Initially, it seemed everything was working okay. I was able to open a docuement, pan and zoom around it, makes selections etc. However, after around a minute, the screen froze and PS became unresponsive. I needed to use Task Manager to kill the process.

While this is with the beta, I assume changes will feed into the stable version.  Therefore, if the latest beta is still having the issues I was experiencing with v25.6, it doesn't suggest that this issue will be resolved soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...so as before, I'm currently sticking with v25.5.1, which is stable, fast, and doesn't appear to have any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't found a repeatable cause yet, but reasonably common if I leave PS just sitting open for a while, then I come back to it.... or if I'm outside PS, then come back to it, there's like a split second glitch (white frame) just within the PS canvas, then I know all enhanced GPU features are off, and it's time to restart PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So an interesting thing that may not be a coincidence..

At a hunch, I launched Photoshop, and when Photoshop had finished loading, I started a Stopwatch. On 20 minutes, there was a white flicker and lost all GPU enhancements, no animated zoom, and all the other lag. I quit PS and then restarted PS. Started stopwatch again... continued to edit pictures as normal. On 20 minutes, it happend again. Third time, photoshop was fine for an hour. Then later in the evening, I started PS, started a stopwatch again, did some compositing, and other stuff I usually do... there was a Flicker, lost all enhancements like before, looked at the stopwatch and it was 20 minutes. I wonder if there's some timed process in PS, like a recovery save, cache management or something withing PS that is at 10 or 20 minute intervals?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These problems seem to be fixed in PS 25.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried updating from 25.5.1 yet, however the latest PS beta (25.9) still causes my Windows PC to hang shortly after opening a document.

I'm going to try updating the GPU drivers to the latest version to see if this resolves the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm rather different from you guys.
I have a version I like (stable) for each year and use it with changes as needed. I usually use Photoshop 2020 (21.0.3) and Photoshop 2023 (24.0.1), and Photoshop 2024 only updates each release to see if the bugs are fixed.

But since this 25.7 version, all my other Photoshops have gotten weird after a certain period of time (especially when I use a feature like select subject). Like the GPU gets disabled.
So I reinstalled Photoshop, but it's the same.

But the interesting thing is that Photoshop 25.7 is fine.
Something in 25.7 seems to break something. Because it's not a normal situation, 25.7 was suspected, and when I tested it on another colleague's computer, the same different versions were contaminated.

For your information, I use the latest studio driver.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/ps-makes-lag-or-broken-gpu-function-thingss/...

I wrote a new thread on this as a bug category.
There's definitely something wrong with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to the latest nVidia Studio drivers (552.22) this morning, however this unfortuntaely did not resolve the issue with PS beta 25.9 hanging.

I notice that even before the app hangs, scrolling/panning around the document using spacebar+drag is very laggy compared to 25.5.1.

For what it's worth, I'm using a Quadro P1000, so far from a high-end, modern GPU.  However, it performs fine using PS 25.5.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to clarify the steps to reproduce:

1. Launch PS beta 25.9

2. Open a large-ish document (>2500 px width)

3. Zoom in a few times

4. Hold the spacebar and drag to pan around the document

5. Release the sapcebar

--> It is now no longer possible to interact with the open document - the only option is to force quit the program from Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced major lags when launching File > Automate > Photomerge ever since 24.x.

And, plugins that operate via File > Automate produce the same roughly 30 second+ lag (beginning in that same release timeframe). I have 64GB RAM, AMD RX6800 XT (16GB VRAM), Intel i9 12th gen, Win 11 Pro 64-bit desktop PC...with TB of storage.

I don't know what's going on. But something in the engineering is increasingly causing lags that now you also experience consistently & repeatedly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines