• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D doesn't work properly in Photoshop 2021 on Mac Big Sir OS

New Here ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am writing to say that the 3D portions of Photoshop do not seem to work on my Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019) model with 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 and AMD Radeon Pro 5500 8 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 MB. It is also not working on my iMac. When I add a 3d object, nothing appears in the preview viewport and the ground plane does not appear despite being checked under view options. Interestingly, when I rolled back to version Photoshop 2020, I don't have these issues. Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 1.59.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.00.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.00.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.03.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.03.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.04.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.06.45 PM.png

It seems to me the extra options under Advanced Performance settings must have something to do with the issues with the 3D interface in PS2021, since there is no difference in my hardware and it runs fine on PS2020. 

Please advise. I pay a lot per month to use the Creative Cloud, and it seems silly that with each update it feels like less and less of the program runs smoothly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Hi

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of tod

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Some functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D, still relies on the older Open GL graphics functions. To make these work, in 22.4 an additional preference Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas has been added. This can be checked and Photoshop restarted to restore 3D functions to where they were in 22.3

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave. Thank you so much. I'm sorry for my passive-aggressive attitude. Obviously the Adobe Suite is so processor-intensive and feature-rich, it makes sense that between Apple and Microsoft, it wold be a huge headache getting everything to run optimally on every system. Thank you so much for your help; you completely solved my issue. I've read complaints about Adobe Support not adequately handling complaints, but you responded to me incredibly rapidly and resolved my issue, and I can't thank you enough. This is why Adobe continues to be a leader in this space. I wish you a good day and thanks so much again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Daaaavvvvveeeeee.....U solved my problem with 3D i am suffering for two weeks. It was this Native canvas....

But I am really dissapointed with Adobe coz of a lot issues unexpected for no reason. Also Mac is having its own troubles time after time but Thanks a lot we have people like You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggested work-around does not resolve the issue for me. I am running the latest Photoshop 22.4.1 and have the following hardware:
Graphics - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB
MacOS – 11.2.2
Processor – 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W
Memory – 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave's suggestion to "Deactivate Native Canvas" solved the 3D issue I was having with my 16" 2019 MacBook Pro.

All is now working well 🙂

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, I'm facing the same problem, and the native canvas option is also ticked, what should I do? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, I'm facing the same problem, and the native canvas option is also ticked, what should I do? 

By @Navdha5F9F

Did you close and restart Photoshop after checking Disable Native Canvas?

Is your GPU detected? (Check in Preferences - Performance)

Is your document in RGB mode?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Dave. I have a iMac lab of 20 machines all with Radeon Pro Vega 20 and Adobe CC 5.6.0.788 and we keep having issues with 3D in Photoshop as well. I've tried the solutions you've suggested here but everytime we try to work with 3D text, we lose our document window. Any further ideas? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears it's working now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Some functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D, still relies on the older Open GL graphics functions. To make these work, in 22.4 an additional preference Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas has been added. This can be checked and Photoshop restarted to restore 3D functions to where they were in 22.3

Dave

By @davescmhum3d

Thank you for the solutions you've suggested! I've had the same problem and now it's solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines