• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A question about Photoshop brushes [Where are high resolution textured brushes available online?]

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering about something and I couldn't find information about it either.

I will be really thankful if someone can answer my newbie question!

Are all textured brushes used in Photoshop and painting software like Krita, Medibang, etc. low resolution or it depends on the type of texture?

I have been unable to find any textured brushes that are high in resolution. All seem to be pretty low in quality.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

I'm wondering about this because in other software that I'm using like Medibang you have the option to create a brush from a canvas.

Let's say your canvas size is: 1920 x 1080 and you want to create a brush with a cloud shape. You have already drawn the cloud and now you choose the option to create the brush from the canvas. But the dimensions for your brush "base" will be 150x150 because that's the default setting in Medibang and you are limited, and unable to create a brush which is higher than

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can choose the texture (including ones you create), so it seems to be ultimately up to you what detail it holds.

Maybe you should explain in more detail wha the problem is. maybe post screenshots including the pertinent Panels (Layers, Options, Brush Settings, …) to illustrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about pre-made brushes that you can find online.
Let me know if you need any more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you start making meaningful statements you can hardly expect to get meaningful advice.

Could you please post a screenshot of a brush stroke that you find lacking taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Brush Serrings, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And please make sure the »Texture« file is visible in the screenshot, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canvas size: 1920 x 1080 px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The brush apparently does not even employ the Texture-feature.

Are you speaking about the Brush tip itself?

What are the Shape Dynamics?

At 500px the tip does not seem to be extremely large, but in this case I see no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm speaking about the brush tip.

So I'm talking about the original source image that has been used to create the specific brush itself. Is there a specific limit in photoshop that doesn't allow the resolution of the source image to be higher than a specific number?

I'm wondering about this because in other software that I'm using like Medibang you have the option to create a brush from a canvas.

Let's say your canvas size is: 1920 x 1080 and you want to create a brush with a cloud shape. You have already drawn the cloud and now you choose the option to create the brush from the canvas. But the dimensions for your brush "base" will be 150x150 because that's the default setting in Medibang and you are limited, and unable to create a brush which is higher than this resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say your canvas size is: 1920 x 1080 and you want to create a brush with a cloud shape. You have already drawn the cloud and now you choose the option to create the brush from the canvas. But the dimensions for your brush "base" will be 150x150 because that's the default setting in Medibang and you are limited, and unable to create a brush which is higher than this resolution.

Have you even consulted the documentation?

Create and modify brushes in Adobe Photoshop

There is a limit to the pixel dimensions of Photoshop Brush tips but the page states it is

2500 pixels by 2500 pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a limit to the pixel dimensions of Photoshop Brush tips but the page states it is

2500 pixels by 2500 pixels

Addendum: Apparently that limitation has been changed, in a test I was able to create a bigger sampled Brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second screenshot seems to have been taken at a magnification of above 300% so pixelation is to be expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I am aware that the magnification was above 300%, however, I was wondering if there were brushes that have been made by using a very high-res source image, which would make the loss of quality unnoticeable even at very strong magnification like in my example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I am aware that the magnification was above 300%, however, I was wondering if there were brushes that have been made by using a very high-res source image, which would make the loss of quality unnoticeable even at very strong magnification like in my example.

Your statement does not make sense.

No matter the original size of the Brush tip once you applied it it’s as it has been applied at the image’s resolution, magnifying the image cannot reveal additional pixels that are not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines