• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accidental 1x1 aspect ratio in camera Canon 5D Mark III to lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently did a photoshoot on my canon 5D Mark III and used live view since I neede to be right above my subjects.  My camera had a 1x1 aspect ratio on (didnt know how to fix it at the time, I did now, but didnt see an issue) but showed the full image on image playback so I thought it was fine.  I opened the images in Lightroom CC and they show up as regular aspect ratio until I click on them and they go into 1x1 and dont go back.  Is there any way to fix this or are all of my live view taken shots stuck like this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload one raw to something like Dropbox to inspect?

I suspect you are just seeing a crop based on metadata meaning you probably have full frame raw data but an example raw would help.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't have drop box or any of the other suggested things I have found since most of them are iPhone apps and I have Android and Microsoft products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Drive would work for this.  I believe One Drive would as well.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any filesharing service will work so we can see your sample file. Dropbox is one of the most popular which is why it's often mentioned here. In your case, you should have access to OneDrive so try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got them uploaded to my OneDrive as raw files and can see them as their original aspect ratio, but in the file info it is still stated as 1:1 and when exported back into my computer they still show up as 1:1. I can't screenshot it since OneDrive won't show me the full resolution but the when downloaded the quality is still the same. How do I get it back to the original ratio from OneDrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share one of the files on OneDrice and paste a link here so we can download it and inspect it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak2hCPClOaU5zx6tTrZqKWBG1j_X?e=UHKoJb Hopefully this works, my replys keep dissapearing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you maybe share a file from your Creative Cloud online space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The raw itself IS NOT cropped, it certainly is not 1X1. 

If I open the full raw data (no rendering) in RawDigger, I see this:

raw.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I see as well but only on OneDrive, any way I redownload it, it goes right back to 1:1 as well as in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you've tried it, but what happens if you change the aspect ratio to 3:2?  Are you able to recover the missing sides of the file?  Or does it crop within the 1:1 square you can see?

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justs crops within the 1:1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suspected, there is some camera-generated metadata that tells LR/ACR to honor the crop even though the complete uncropped raw data exists. 
How one disables this metadata is the real question. I can't undo it in ACR and converting it to DNG doesn't alter that, but again, it really isn't cropped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is easy to see what is going on when inspecting the file with ExifTool. Here are the various pixel width/height tags:

[IFD0]          ImageWidth                      : 5760
[IFD0]          ImageHeight                     : 3840
[ExifIFD]       ExifImageWidth                  : 5760
[ExifIFD]       ExifImageHeight                 : 3840
[Canon]         CanonImageWidth                 : 5760
[Canon]         CanonImageHeight                : 3840
[Canon]         AFImageWidth                    : 5760
[Canon]         AFImageHeight                   : 3840
[Canon]         CroppedImageWidth               : 3840
[Canon]         CroppedImageHeight              : 3840
[Canon]         OriginalImageWidth              : 5760
[Canon]         OriginalImageHeight             : 3840

The offending metadata is obviously:

[Canon]         CroppedImageWidth               : 3840
[Canon]         CroppedImageHeight              : 3840

I'd recommend that you look into Canon software to see if it can bypass the cropped metadata.

Another option would be 3rd party software, for example on a Mac, Raw Photo Processor ignores the crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rawdigger shows the same metadata.

It doesn't allow for editing and that's the rub. 

Agree the next stop is Canons software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, this fixed it and was super easy to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines