Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action to Save As in the same folder

Engaged ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was Googling this and couldn't find the answer.

Before I explain, I'm not trying to use Droplets, Batch convert, etc. I want to use the Actions panel only. There's a reason for that, based on my workflow.

So let's say I open a file (inside the location ABC), work on it and I just want to create a JPG version, keeping it in the same folder as the PSD (ABC) and keeping the same name. Right now, if I do it, the Action saves that specific location (ABC), that means that if I open another PSD in a totally different location (location DEF) and run that Action, the JPG will be saved in the first location (ABC) and not inside DEF.

Is it possible to avoid the location parameter at all?

Thank you

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

No, it's not. Actions always store absolute references. Only batch processing can override file operations. So there you have it. You have to leave it out from the action and save manually.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Where actions have limitations, a script can usually achieve the desired result.

An action can record the location of an installed or browsed script and then execute the script as an action step.

Such a script can be found below, that way you only need one action, that will save into the source folder.

Action to save as Jpeg in origin image folder

Prepression: Downloading and Installing Adobe Scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not. Actions always store absolute references. Only batch processing can override file operations. So there you have it. You have to leave it out from the action and save manually.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I wish they could include that as an option or at least it would be great if, after saving a certain step inside an action, we could just go and delete some stuff inside, like for example the location part inside the Save As step.

I just found a way to workaround it for my workflow. I created different folders (Folder 1, Folder 2, etc) and had to make the same action several times, but having it saved to each different folder. It took me a while, but since I'm going to do it 365 days (once a day for a year), it's worth the time

Thanks for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where actions have limitations, a script can usually achieve the desired result.

An action can record the location of an installed or browsed script and then execute the script as an action step.

Such a script can be found below, that way you only need one action, that will save into the source folder.

Action to save as Jpeg in origin image folder

Prepression: Downloading and Installing Adobe Scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for that and I will definitely try it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually possible using undocumented functionality. Simply put, if a Photoshop action stores a reference to a destination that does not actually exist, it will instead use the PSD's parent folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct, however, I have had intermittent success with this technique depending on how the path is originally recorded and how it becomes unrecognised/invalid (writable disk image, USB memory stick etc).

Here I have recorded an action in Windows (upper section). When loaded into a Mac, the path is invalid and it will save as to the open image's source directory.

notfound.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! What an incredible solution. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

im was also facing the same issue, got a solution for that which works for me.
go to file,automate,batch, choose your folder for the action to applied and than choose your action to apply and add destination folder and add overide action
that will work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines