• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adding audio in frame animation mode

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this possible?  I know that in video timeline mode, there is an audio track automatically present.  But if one wants to animate to music in 'frame animation' mode, it seems to be impossible.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Sorry if I wasn't clear - you cannot add audio in Frame animation.

You can create your animation frame by frame then convert it to video to add audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame animation is akin to an animated gif.

There is not an easy way to add audio to frame animation but you can always export out or screen record your frame animation then bring it back in as a video file to combine with audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say 'there is not an easy way', does that mean there is NO way? Or is there a way, but it's hard?

If it's possible, but just hard, I'm up for the task.

It seems like there should be a way to make your animation in time with music, rather than guessing at the correct rhythm, then having to convert it to video to see if you worked correctly.  It goes against the whole idea of animation!  I am teaching a class in animation using Photoshop, and would hate to disappoint students, when it's already hard to convince them that PS is a good animation program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

denise-b  wrote

It seems like there should be a way to make your animation in time with music, rather than guessing at the correct rhythm, then having to convert it to video to see if you worked correctly.

After Effects is the application for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But our class is working in frame animation mode, no tweening.  I also teach AfterEffects, but this class is based on making each frame individually.  In Photoshop, you can do 'frame' animation approaches in two modes:  'video timeline' mode and 'frame animation' mode.  You can add audio in 'video timeline' mode but not in 'frame animation' mode. 

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I wasn't clear - you cannot add audio in Frame animation.

You can create your animation frame by frame then convert it to video to add audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much.  I had a feeling you meant it was impossible.  But Adobe should make it POSSIBLE if they want folks to use the frame animation method....it would help a lot. 

I wrote my students about the workaround of converting to video timeline mode....and I guess that's the best they can do.  But the downside to that is that they can't really CREATE to the music--they have to map out the significant beats/moments in the music on a timeline, then plan their animation to go with that.....then watch after they've created. 

OK, thanks for confirming what I dreaded was true.  If you have any pull with Adobe, or a suggestion for a way to solicit them, it would be appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

denise-b  wrote

If you have any pull with Adobe, or a suggestion for a way to solicit them, it would be appreciated.

You can post here where the people that can make it happen really read the content:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks--posted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a suggestion that would still give you the outcome you want for the class.

Have the students listen to the music with the timer running to map out a timeline for the frame animation.

Since its all based on timing, you should still be able to build out as frame by frame based on the outline of the music timing, then just convert it and sync up the start of the music.

The process would still achieve the same metrics you are trying to teach. It just adds an extra step at the end to add audio into one file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, that is how my students have been working since there seems to be no other way.  It's still weird and difficult to not have a more integrated workflow; Adobe could certainly work a space for an audio track into the interface.  I don't know how many people use the frame animation mode, or if most folks just use Adobe Animate.  I may end up having to learn that program, since it does allow for sound. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines