Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding crop marks to files in Photoshop

Participant ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I would like to know how to add crop marks to a file in Photoshop please for the convenience of the printers bleed cut.
I realize you can add in the printer settings for my home printer but that's no use to an outsourced professional printing company.
all the forums have instructions for In-Design, Illustrator, but not for Photoshop.
There is also nothing in the Photoshop Reference pdf.
Thankyou

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Hi

Extend your canvas and draw the marks on a separate layer using the line shape tool

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

The easiest way I do is to make a manual bleed to our document so if it is 10X20 cm I make it 10.6x20.6 in Photoshop then Place it in Adobe Illustrator In a 10x20 cm artboard with bleed and save it as PDF with Crop Marks .

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, If you go on to Photoshop print settings, you can find under Printing Marks some option for crop marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you just want crop marks, or would you also want to allow for some bleed?  Or even some additional area to wrap around like when having a framed canvas print made?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I meant crop or trim marks to allow for some bleed, although Im not quite sure what other reason as you cant have crop marks off the page, but maybe theres something I am not 'registering' here. (pun intended)
Its OK though, it appears there is no such auto function, which means I dont have to continue any wild goose chase thru forums or toolbars,  found the closest answer. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Extend your canvas and draw the marks on a separate layer using the line shape tool

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Based on the answers, It appears that Photoshop does not have a single script function that just adds  crop marks, which is the answer to the question.

I appreciate your well intended replies all the same.

Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The manual (or automated) creation of crop marks in Photoshop is not ideal as that does not address the issue of Trimbox, Bleedbox etc. that would allow for automated processing at the printer’s.

One could hammer in a nail with a power drill, but a hammer would offer advantages.

Photoshop is targeted at image manipulation, not so much at providing print ready data per se.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the output you want, as c.pfaffenbichler mentioned, a script could easily be written to add crop marks. I wrote one when I was working and printing a lot of 30X40s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a wizened curmudgeon who spent years with printing ink under his fingernails, I have earned the right to shout:

STOP saying dpi when you mean ppi or lpi.

STOP saying White Balance when you mean Gray Balance.

...and today’s grumpy complaint;

STOP saying Crop when you mean Trim

Ahh. Now I feel better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

norman.sanders  wrote

As a wizened curmudgeon who spent years with printing ink under his fingernails, I have earned the right to shout:

STOP saying dpi when you mean ppi or lpi.

STOP saying White Balance when you mean Gray Balance.

...and today’s grumpy complaint;

STOP saying Crop when you mean Trim

Ahh. Now I feel better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must be really fun at parties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware that the post by @Norman Sanders  you seem to refer to was posted in 2018? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikezphoto  The late Norman Sanders had forgotten more about printing than most of us knew. He was always willing to share his knowledge and had a great sense of humour when doing so.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikezphoto 

You've made exactly one post to the Adobe forums and it was an attempt to insult the esteemed and much loved @Norman Sanders. He shared his vast knowledge freely and was kind to all. Count me in as one of many who loved him.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In a thread asking for help without providing any with the express intention of being pedantic deserves being insulted though (VERY much a stretch to call that an insult though, don't clutch those pearls too hard!). Dude just wanted to know how to add printer marks in photoshop.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We loved Norman dearly and mioss him terribly.  I'm smiling all over again reading his post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way I do is to make a manual bleed to our document so if it is 10X20 cm I make it 10.6x20.6 in Photoshop then Place it in Adobe Illustrator In a 10x20 cm artboard with bleed and save it as PDF with Crop Marks .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Omar.
Still mystified as to why such a basic everyday function is left out of Photoshop, whatever PS is originally intended for, but there you have it.
Thanks to all who contributed to my TRIM marks question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this on the exchange.

Bleed & Safe Guidelines Action Set for Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shylo  wrote

I found this on the exchange.

Bleed & Safe Guidelines Action Set for Photoshop

Nice one Shylo.   I read through the thread before reaching your reply, and when I got to post #4 I did wonder about an extension.

You could do it with an Action as well.  If anyone tries that, you need to set the Rulers to Percentage so as to account for different image sizes.  It would use similar steps to some of the Add Frame actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flemgooz1  wrote

I would like to know how to add crop marks to a file in Photoshop

all the forums have instructions for In-Design, Illustrator, but not for Photoshop.

Hi,

You can put in a feature request to the engineers here:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

In InDesign and Illustrator you draw the artwork past the edge of the page (InDesign) or artboard (Illustrator) and simply check a box and type in an amount for the bleed.

For Photoshop to work the same way, you would draw the artwork past the edge of the canvas and the bleed guides might be 1/8” outside the canvas to say cut the paper here after the image is printed. I have no idea if that would be easy or hard for the engineers to program in, but the feedback site is the place to ask for it so the engineers will see it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines