Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Additional scripted patterns

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am the developer of the Deco scripting engine that is used to create scripted patterns in Photoshop CS6. I would like to continue the interesting discussions and exchange of patterns and images that many of you started on the pre-release forum.

If you go to the following page (link) you can get a brief overview of how to add new scripted patterns to Photoshop CS6.  Check out a few Deco scripts that create boundary patterns. The size of the boundary depends on the width

of the input pattern – you want a wider boundary, create a wider pattern.

Feel free to ask me any questions related to pattern scripting.

Enjoy,

Radomir

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on a script that copies a pattern image along a path with a few options to adjust spacing, rotation and scaling. I did most of the code that determines the placement of the pattern elements; the GUI and script-to-script communication was mostly done by others.

This script is more of a prototype than a finished product. My part of the code is a bit messy and unoptomized. I have not added anything to the script recently.

Installation instructions are included in the zip file.

http://sites.google.com/site/davidjensen/home/Path_Deco_Pattern.zip

vine.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice example, David.  I like the slight jitter to the leaves and the vine shape looks good.  Haven't had a chance to do too much with the scripts recently as I'm trying to get some other projects done, but I do want to look more closely at the path script.  I must admit that it's always a bit confusing looking at someone else's script and trying to figure out how things work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for offering your attention and pointing us to that site, Radomir!

I haven’t looked into Scripted Patterns much yet, but it’s good to know where to look for details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One question, though:

Scripted Patterns are part of Photoshop and not just am offering from the Labs?

I just want to make sure that I can expect continued support because Pixel Bender support has been abandoned with CS6 and some users seem quite irate about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripted patterns are part of Photoshop and my goal is to continue supporting it. Scripted patterns do not depend on a specific hardware configuration thus they won't get stale as Pixel Bender where you need to keep updating it for rapidly changing graphics cards.

Radomir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback, good to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vaguely grasp that this would pose some problems, for example if a file is opened on a machine where the originally used Script is missing, but is there any chance that Scripted Patterns may be made available in Pattern Layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script just creates a rendering of the patterns on a layer, which is then just pixel info.  So opening the file in any version of Photoshop is possible.  It does not need the scripts to read the file once the script has been run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But with a Pattern Layer one would expect continued editability (like scale or selected pattern).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried the new pattern maker in Illustrator, but your idea of a patter layer sort of sounds like that - but I don't know how re-editalbe that is either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pattern Layers are an existing functionality in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never heard of pattern layers in Photoshop.  Only layer types I'm aware of are pixel, text, shape, adjustment, and smart object.  I'll have to look into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a heads up to the admin of the http://www.adobe.com/technology/projects/DecoScriptedPatternsInPhotoshop.__autoinvalidate.paging.1.h... page, the three 'Random' script references towards the bottom of the page are incorrect.

Darrell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for letting me know. I just tried it and it works for me. The best way is to right-clikc on the script link and select "save link as". At least Firefox then saves it as a jsx file.

Radomir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I can get them through FireFox Save Target As, but I ie churns out a .htm file. Each of the links have, what appears to be extra content in the url. See bold item below.

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/technology/scripts/Random%20Fill%20Bou...

Darrell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ie has a problem with it even if I remove the extra wwwimages. You can change the extension from htm to jsx but that is awkward. Let me play with the page and see what I can do. In the worst case I can at least add more download instructions.

Radomir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries on my end - as I  got them through FireFox Save Link As.

Just didn't want Ie users to miss out/turn away on the wonderful scripts

Darrell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I don't want people to have problems downloading them either. I have added some more infor to the webpage but I won't be able to change the way IE handles the file type. I guess I could create a zip file with the three scripts.

Radomir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, lots of scripts so little time...sorry, I have not been able to test any of these yet. Such a busy season for me but hopefully I'll be getting some down time soon to get going with these and have some scripting fun again. Thanks again Radomir ! Can't wait !

Jodi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I updated my page http://www.adobe.com/technology/projects/DecoScriptedPatternsInPhotoshop.html and added Richard's scripts for placing pattern along a path and creating symmetric plane fills. Both scripts have a user interface. Check them out!

Radomir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Radomir, your original edge script works great in latest PR but I cannot get any of the path scripts to work. Getting error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jodi,

I just tried the Varying Path and Spacing.zip. I downloaded it, unzipped, and followed the instructions. It worked with the shipping version of CS6 (64-bit). What error are you getting?

Radomir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Radomir, I tried it a couple of ways...to load the script or use it in the regular scripted patterns fill dialogue box.  . I have other scripts that work including your original edge script. I attached the message i get when I try to load it from the script menu. The message I get when I try to use it from the fill dialogue box ; ' could not fill, error line 23; spacing is undefined. No biggie Radomir...I have others that do work.  Just wondering what I'm doing wrong ... no rush..

Thanks

Jodi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jodi,

Each version of the path script has two script files included. 

You should be selecting "Specify Varying Sizes along Path.jsx" or "Path_Settings.jsx" from the File -> scripts menu.  None of the Path scripts can be run directly from the fill dialog box.  The line 23 error is normal if you try to run the script directly, as it doesn't have the information it needs.

Is my script working for you?

I don't see any attachments, so I can't see the other error you mention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines