• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjust brightness/darkness in GIF image Photoshop

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps24.2.0  can not find an answer anywhere to the simple question of how do I adjust brightness darkness setting for a GIF image that will change all the frames. I certainly know how to adjust the brightness darkness thing for a still image and I know it can be done for a GIF image as I have done it, but it was quite a while ago and any assistance would be appreciated.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

The adjustment layer needs to be moved to the top of the layer stack above all other layers. It only effects layers that are below it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Timeline, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Have you created the intended Adjustment Layer yet? 

Is »New Layers Visible in All Frames« checked in the Timeline dropdown menu? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see with the two screenshots, I have done what you suggested however, the adjustment only affects the first frame. In other words, I don't know how to get all the frames involved here with whatever adjustment I want to make in this case brightness contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the frame animation timeline, any layer can be visible in any frame. So select all frames in the timeline, then in the layers panel turn on the visibility of your adjustment layer (eye icon). It will now affect all frames.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did everything you said to do no problem there. However, when I click on Image, the Adjustments thing is greyed out so I can't do anything with Brightness, etc.  I would guess there's something else I need to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set Â»New Layers Visible in All Frames« before or after creating the New Layer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I initially set the new layers visible thing before I made the other changes. Show I started back at the beginning again made the changes and then turned on the new layers visible thing, so yes, I now have access to the adjustments under image. However, nothing happpens when I change the brightness setting for example. The graphic stays the same. So don't know what else I'm doing here that needs to be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description seems utterly unclear to me. 

Set the setting, then create the Adjustment Layer. 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Timeline, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An adjustment layer is adjusted in the properties panel, not in the image adjustments menu.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now done everything you told me in the order in which you told me to do it. Enclosed screenshot shows everything and it's still not working in terms of brightness contrast, etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The adjustment layer needs to be moved to the top of the layer stack above all other layers. It only effects layers that are below it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've done everything exactly in the order, and in the way that in which you described. Still no success in terms of changing in this case, the brightness over the entire length of the GIF.  at this point, I feel like I'm wasting my time with this I don't know what the problem is and why I can't get   this to work. I never had this problem couple years ago when I was easily able to change and shift brightness contrast with the.gif and without going through any of this, so somethings apparently have changed and frankly I'm wasting my time at this point. I so very much appreciate your help and support in this matter. I'm just sorry that I can't get any further than I've gotten and I'm not willing to keep wasting anymore time on it frankly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the layered file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And again: Please provide the layered file. 

Not the gif. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'm a little confused by what you mean the layered file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file with Layers you have open in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@elfstone91 That is a screenshot, not a file with layers. Save the file as a PSD and attach it here (or put it in dropbox or similar and attach a link)

I can see from your screenshot that you have the adjustment at the top of the layer stack. What I cannnot see from a screenshot is whether that adjustment layer is enabled on every frame.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You have all layers except Layer 1 enabled in all frames. The quickest way to fix this is:

1. Select all frames (not layers) and in the timeline menu at the top right of the timeline panel click on Delete Frames

2. In the same timeline menu click on Make Frames from Layers

3. Select Frame (not layer) 37 and drag it to the bin

4. In the timeline menu click on 'Select All Frames'

5. Use the drop down under frame 36 and change the time from 0 to 0.1seconds (all the frames will change)

6. In the layers panel click on the eye symbol for brightness and contrast which, as all frames are still selected, will turn it on for every frame

That is it

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I did was changed to another graphic gi as this one is easier to see the animation movement. The video I am enclosing is one of the two ways  I have tried to do this with no success.  The other way I've done this is exactly as you described in your last post. That doesn't work either so it is obvious that I am not doing something right here. Either just the first frame shows the adjustment in this case, brightness, and often the animation doesn't move at all no matter how I do this really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You set »New Layers Visible …« after cerating the Adjustment Layer. 

As I’ve stated before: »Set the setting, then create the Adjustment Layer.«

Also you seem to be showing all Layers in all Frames – what is that about? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Dave, just wanted to briefly explain that I am dyslexic, which means that I reverse things which is very frustrating to me when it happens however, I've lived with this all of my life and I've learned to compensate as much as possible. Just want you to know that I am really trying with this and it is very frustrating because while this is not rocket science, it is the concepts that I struggled getting into my brain.  At any rate, the enclosed video shows you the correction I made where I reversed the two things. So now the remaining thing is to find out what I am missing as the gif now holds the adjustment through all the frames, but there is no animation it stays static.  So yes, we have made progress here and I think I'm almost there with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: 

Also you seem to be showing all Layers in all Frames – what is that about? 

That’s at about second 19 of the video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines