• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjustments grayed out in Image tab

Advisor ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create a highlights/shadows adjustment layer and went to Image>Adjustments as I read that it is under that tab, but Adjustments is grayed out.  Why?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

I figured out the problem.  I did not have the image itself selected but rather one of the existing Adjustment Layers.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it's Image > Mode: 32 Bit. It has to be 8 or 16 Bit for this feature.

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This one helped me. Photoshop 2021's latest update (May 2021) caused this problem for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) and the dialog visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out the problem.  I did not have the image itself selected but rather one of the existing Adjustment Layers.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you convert the Layer to a Smart Object first to keep the Adjustment editable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  I have not worked with Smart Objects yet.  So adjustments made using the Adjustments tab such as Hue/Saturation and Contrast/Brightness don't require a Smart Object to be editable, but Shadows/Highlights do?  When I made the adjustment and closed the box, and then reopened it, the adjustment I had made disappeared and went back to the original setting (what is was set to when I opened Shadows/Highlights), so I assume so. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So adjustments made using the Adjustments tab such as Hue/Saturation and Contrast/Brightness don't require a Smart Object to be editable, but Shadows/Highlights do?

No, but applying it directly on a pixel layer is destructive, meaning the pixel content is changed and unless you made a duplicate or backup the original version is lost.

Also the used settings might not be easily remembered later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question was not answered (or "solved" as bartonlew claims). In fact bartonlew's response doesn't even make sense! Additionally, bartonlew admits that he (or she?) has never worked with Smart Objects so how in the hell would this individual even know what the actual problem is and/or how to analize it or solved it? NOTHING was answer here.........just caused more confusion and frustration!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original question did not address Smart Objects; a subsequent post asked whether I had made the layer a Smart Object.  So Smart Objects had nothing to do with the problem as stated or its solution. My answer was correct in identifying the problem I was having:  I was trying to access an adjustment layer but had an existing adjustment layer selected, not the background image, which is why the adjustment layer under Image>Adjustments was grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A bit harsh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you did not provide the correct answer. As far as "Shadows & Highliights", this is always available regardless whether the particular Layer you are working on is........or is NOT a Smart Object also regardless whether you are working in either the 8-bit or 16-bit mode. The real problem is: When working on a Layer that is a Smart Object, none of other Adjustments are available, ie: Contrast & Brightness, Curves, Levels, Hue & Saturation etc, etc. All of these Adjustments become greyed out when you turn a Layer into a Smart Object (or at least this is what happens in CS6). So, bottom line what is the big deal about working with Smart Objects when none of the Adjustments are available? In fact you even admit that you have never used Smart Objects so how in the world could you even know what the exact problem is..........or how to diagnose it???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated above, the original question and its solution had nothing to do with Smart Objects.  Also, it is incorrect that Adjustments are unavailable when working with a Layer that is a Smart Object.  With the Smart Object Layer selected, you still have the Adjustments (between the layer mask and create a new group tab at the bottom of the Layers panel) available and you can access Adjustments in either the Image or Layers tab at the top right of your screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ bartonlew - One final word on this matter. I fully realized that [you] did not mention "Smart Objects" but I was trying to address your concerns/problems (which frankly did not include a great deal of information). I brought up the sbuject of "Smart Object Layer" because, in Photoshop CS6 if you are working with or on a Smart Object Layer, if you go to Image > Adjustments (under the menu options) you will find that all the Adjustments will be, in fact, greyed out and unavailable. Of course Adjustments will still be available within the drop down options at the bottom of the Layers palette..........but applying an Adjustment in this manner is not the main principal behind converting or using a Smart Object Layer. The main principal behind working on a Smart Object Layer is two-fold. #1-A Smart Object Layer allows one to double click on that Layer and be taken back into ACR and #2- Applying adjustments to a Smart Object is NON-destructive whereas, applying adjustments on a normal Layer is destructive.

Of course I can only speak for Photoshop CS6. I don't how things might function in using higher versions of PS. I was only trying to help with little information with which to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are foul. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaulthhtzafuzf6je What the Hell are you talking about (You are foul)??? Are you trying to say something meaningful or just being a jerk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines