• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop work on Apple M2 chip MacBook Pro?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi;

Planning to upgrade my Macbook Pro to M2 chip version;

Is Adobe Lightrrom Classic and Photoshop work seamless on M2 chip Apple Macbook Pro?

Thanx in advance for your replies;

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes apps should work. If you face any issues enable Rosetta mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! i bought 13inch M2 chipped 24GB Ram MacBook Pro and it works perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask if you use the full Adobe Suite ?Indesign, Acrobat pro, Illustrator and Photoshop 
and if it all works with the M2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be frank I would wait a little…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was agree with you about this road map; checked/tested on my professional friends' new computers then i bought it; works perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Macbook pro M2 with 8GB RAM. It's an absolut disaster. It is barely working with Lightroom Classic. My desktop Lenovo from 2019 is 10 times faster. Sorry. It is 100% true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sad. The newer laptop are a disaster!

I have one from 2013 and works like a cahmp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! i bought/upgraded to 13inch M2 chipped 24GB Ram MacBook Pro(*) and it works perfect / so fast even busy with Lightroom / Photoshop at the same time!

* the old one was: 2016 13 inch MacBook Pro i7 3.3Ghz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Chana, it is not clear whether you are just replying with empathy, or if it is also your experience with the M2 processors, it is not what I heard from other sources, IE, it works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own a 2020 M1 Mac Mini, running Ventura with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of memory. Runs fine. You do not have enough RAM as that is the MINIMUM that Adobe suggests. In fact, I am going to upgrade next year and get a minimum of 24GB of RAM or even 32 if I can afford it. I am coming from a 2018 Mac Mini, Intel 7i with 32GB of RAM. It will run Lightroom and Photoshop fine, but just not Denoise as that needs at least 2GB of VRAM.

Thing is on the M series, VRAM is unified, and if I had more RAM, I would not need to close down applications. In fact, in Activity Center, it is showing just over 7GB needed to run Lighting room on, Therefore I would suggest quiting out of all other applications and seeing if that frees up enough space for Lightroom, especially since you have an M2. 

Hope that helps!

I would highly suggest that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all!

UPDATE:

i bought/upgraded to 13inch M2 chipped 24GB Ram MacBook Pro(*) and it works perfect / so fast even busy with Lightroom / Photoshop at the same time!

* the old one was: 2016 13 inch MacBook Pro i7 3.3Ghz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the new M2 pro mac mini and basically Lightroom and Photoshop are unusable, memory usage goes through the roof even without any photos open and the computer crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the problem is not with the chip but the graphic card…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@didiermazier it is the equivalent of an APU, the video card is part of the chip, and most tests report that they work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a potential problem in that the GPU uses system memory. Not only is there much less to go around, so that you probably need to double the amount that would normally be needed for Photoshop. There could also be a potential conflict as memory needs grow while working. I don't know, but there have been several threads concerning what looks like memory leaks on M1/M2.

If I was in the market, this is something I'd try to do some research on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to illustrate. Here's after 10 minutes of just Photoshop and Lightroom open:

GPU2.png

Obviously I pushed it to get those graphs to peak; normally they're not maxed out like that - but the point is it can happen, especially with a deadline 30 minutes away...

The point I'm trying to make here is just that you shouldn't underestimate GPU drain on memory.

(Edited and shortened)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello; sorry to hear; on my new 13inch M2 chipped 24GB Ram MacBook Pr -which i bought 5months ago- both Lightroom & Photoshop works without any problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, what are the specs of your M2? What are the full versions of Ps and Lr?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• 2022 13 inch M2 chipped Mac Book Pro / 8 core CPU / 10 core GPU / 16 core  Neural Engine
  • 24 GB RAM
  • 512 GB SSD 
  • Adobe Creative Cloud / Annual Year Programmed LR & PS; so the latest updates/versions comes periodically....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem and the same machine, with 32GB RAM no less!  It is the graphics card. Adopbe recoomends 2GB VRAM. The Mac Mini only had right about 1GB VRAM. My M1 Mac Mini, with 16 GB RAM (now unified of coruse), works very well with Lightroom, especially masking and denoise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an M1 mini with 16Gb of RAM and its a much better performer than my old 2015 iMac or my 2015 15" MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there , I'm a bit of a novice at these things and have tried many times to get Elements 2023 and 2024 to work on my M2 MB Air . I have now lost patience with it and will use it on my old Toshiba Satalite (Windows 10) where it works perfectly  !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines