Exit

Adobe Photoshop issue regarding artboards when saving for web

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem you might help me

I've updated my photoshop to the new version (2017) in which artboard was introduced (I think so because I've never noticed this feature before, my apologises if it had been there).

When I was saving for web I came across that - when I add a new artboard and delete it, the image size is changed, even if you keep just the original artboard (the first artboard created I mean).

I took some screenshots for reference only.

1) Save for Web window containing the first artboard only. It's ok here.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 1.10.07 pm.png

2) A new artboard was added.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 1.10.35 pm.png

3) Save for Web window displaying the preview.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 1.10.39 pm.png

4) The new artboard was deleted.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 1.10.46 pm.png

5) Save for Web window showing the first artboard just, however this transparent space is displayed as well.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 1.10.48 pm.png

Do someone have an idea about why is this happening? How can I fix it? The image size was supposed to be as the same as the only artboard's size you have on the document, wasn't it?

Many thanks in advance

Kind Regards,

Matheus Majer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Matheus-

When you create an artboard the overall image size and the artboard are roughly the same size, when you create a second artboard the overall image size expands to be roughly the size of both artboards and some padding space around the artboards. As you create more artboards your overall image size expands to encompass all the artboards. Whats not clear to most users is that every layer in every artboard is really the same size as the overall image size. We trick Photoshop into treating a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matheus-

When you create an artboard the overall image size and the artboard are roughly the same size, when you create a second artboard the overall image size expands to be roughly the size of both artboards and some padding space around the artboards. As you create more artboards your overall image size expands to encompass all the artboards. Whats not clear to most users is that every layer in every artboard is really the same size as the overall image size. We trick Photoshop into treating artboards like separate docs but it is important to know that they aren't. This is why artboard files may seem disproportionately large, what appears to be many small layers can add up to a very large file.

The work around for the problem you've run into is to Save the file as a PSD and then check the Shrink Canvas on Save in the Artboard Behavior Options (the little gear icon). This forces Photoshop to update the canvas size to only fit the current contents of the file. This only applies to Save, so you'll have to save the file and then Export to Save For Web.

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 12.47.29 PM.jpg

Hope that helps

-Tom Attix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for taking the time to helping me out with this issue, it's really appreciated.

Your answer is perfectly right, the problem has been resolved

Many thanks again,

Matheus Majer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same/similar issue. I changed the artboard size to the final image size that I want. I changed the shrink wrap setting. I made sure I only have one artboard. But still, whenever I save for web or just save to JPG, I am still getting extra canvas space? Not sure what I am missing.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It might be when you "Export" -> "Artboards To Files" that you've left the "Include Overlapping Areas" checked.  This is what I do for separate files for each artboard (see below).  I also uncheck "Export Selected Artboards" to export them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines