• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe slow and laggy on M1 Mac

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe photoshop is buggy and slow on my M1 Macbook Air. In fact, all of the adobe apps are slow and laggy, but specially Photoshop, Premiere and InDesign. I am using the most up to date versions of the programs. 

MacOS Monterey 12.3

M1, 2020

16GB

1Terabyte

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up, if adobe doesnt fix their creative suite what is the point of buying it. Davinci Resolve is free for editing and compositing and color grading and Afinity has options for photoshop and design? Its frustrating how badly a paid program is performing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Here is a thread that follows the same pattern. See if it offers a solution you have not tried yet—https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-on-mac-m1/td-p/12071538

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have read this thread, is there something in specific I need to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if you had to run in Rosetta?

Here is what I read that I thought might be helpful. "Users of a M1 Mac need to use Rosetta, (in the CC app, select start on intel when doing a right-click on installed apps) and most users might have to disable the native canvas in the preferences/technology previews..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have to run photoshop in Rosetta, or just to disable the native canvas? or is the M1 version of photoshop not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you tried to take a look at these suggestions?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi both, yes I have looked at the articles you both shared. However, Photoshop, Premiere and InDesign (the three programs I use most) are ridiculously slow. 

Like I mentioned before, Davinci Resolve and Afinity run fine. Is there something I am missing, a random setting, or do I just need to run the intel/rosetta version of these programs on my M1 mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried running in Rosetta before? If not, then it's worth a try to see if the issue clears up. Let us know if you try it and how it works.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you purchased your M1, did you do a clean install of your Adobe apps or did you use User Migration Assistent to move all the user data and apps over from a prior computer?

The first thing I'd do is make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale setting somewhere:
Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.
If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeffrey, I did a clean install of Adobe. I will try your suggestion today and get back to you on performance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, is this the same process for Adobe Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did we get a resolution on this problem? I'm experiencing the same issues and the steps suggested haven't solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also very disappointed with the response of the app while doing my edits. Can somebody please troubleshoot this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh, I'm baffled (albeit absolutely unsurprised) how pooryl Adobe has handled the transition to M1 silicon. No other app is as slow, laggy, freezing, crashing like AE/PS/AI. Like...it's hard to do it on purpose, well done Adobe, you've outdone yourselves. Why am I paying for this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you pretty much have to murder the entire board of Adobe's families to be able to leave your contract/subscription. I'm using Lightroom & Photoshop and together they make my M1 run the exact same as my 2012 macbook pro. THE EXACT SAME. Slow as all *profanity*. Do they care? Why the hell would they? They are making serious coin from every user all over the world. Why would they care about their products anymore. Man I STILL get the "adobe camera raw needs to be updated" error when I open an image in PS from LR. STILL!! And I downloaded these programs fresh only a month ago! That error has been coming up for at least 8 years now. Lol they don't give two hoots about their programs anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love some adobe person to SCREAM at. Such a shame there isn't some adobe shop nearby so I could SCREAM at someone 😞

My anger has been penting up for the past couple of months.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you could post deatails of your issue we might be able to make some suggestions. Ranting maybe be therapeutic but won't help sort your issue. 
Which version (exactly) of Photoshop and OS?

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity?

Have you tried trashing the presences?

Describe the issue, what happens, any error messages etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get back to someone after you ask your standard "how much ram, HD" etc. Or are you just creating the illusion of offering help. 
What are those questions anyway, I buy a computer, I buy the programs, they run slower on the new one then on the old one, and your suggestion is, let me know your RAM and version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: use Windows.

I haven't had a single program work on Mac with a decent level of stability other than the programs that come with MacOs Monterey. It doesn't matter if they are Adobe, Autodesk, Graphisoft, or another professional program developer, they all crash on Monterey around 100x more than a Windows system.

Photoshop crashes all the time, Illustrator crashes all the time, Archicad crashes all the time, autocad crashes all the time, Revit crashes all the time, 3ds Max crashes all the time.

I don't think you can blame Adobe for Apples terrible buggy slow unstable OS.

If you want to make things absolutely ghastly and get absolutely nothing done get a M1 or M1 ultra, they run slower than pentium 4 from 2004 even in programs set up for ARM.

Point is, the problems are not limited to Adobe, most programs just don't work well on Monterey or any MacOS and the situation is exacerbated if you use Mac silicon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record, I have a MacBook Pro M1 running Monterey and I haven't had any issues at all with Adobe CC applications. I also have a four year old iMac and again, no issues with Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's lucky, I have to use photoshop a lot for architecture and professional rendering. Photoshop crashed 3 times in the space of 40 minutes with the screen going to black and not turning on again for 10 minutes. My average time for photoshop working today was approximately 1 minute before sending me to a Mac black screen of death. We have 6 macs desktops and a few macbooks, all bought within the last year at our office and none of them are stable. The only things that are stable are the macbooks and thats because they are used only for emails, opening pdfs and browsing internet and even then pdfs crash them. We had to exchange an mac studio M1 ultra last week because it was just so buggy and slow there was no point using it. I use Windows at home and it's crazy how much better it runs all programs especially ones for professionals - I get more done in a couple hours overtime at home than I do in a full work day at the office and it's entirely down to how shoddy MacOs and Mac silicon is.

So my experience; if you are a graphic designer, 3d artist or something else where you are working with files larger and more complex than a jpg of a cat, windows is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a powerful computer to run the latest versions of Photoshop with plenty of RAM and lots of spare hard disk capacity for processing documents.

If you have the correct system specs and you've reset the Photoshop preferences back to the factory defaults and you still have issues, try using the Adobe Cleaner Tool to uninstall the application and reinstall it again.
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nonsense. I've been using the Mac since 1995, I use both Mac and Windows with Photoshop daily, and I've been a system administrator in several mixed-platform environments as well as working for a computer dealer, being a designer and a programmer, and working at both Apple and Microsoft. The Mac is more stable, generally faster, and less prone to odd problems than Windows.

Gaslighting doesn't work when you are ranting at people with decades of experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that your experience with Monterey? I am certainly having a different experience. Maybe you can help - the worst crashes I am having are crashes when saving, crashes when selecting, crashes when changing layer order, crashes when moving a layer, crashes when opening, crashes when starting a new file. I've tried uninstalling through the utilities and reinstalling a few times. I have tried a few other things, disabling gpu, unplugging external monitors, and so on. Photoshop is up to date and so is Monterey, I will try the Adobe cleaner app and see if this helps. We have the same problems on all computers photoshop is on. When it crashes the whole system always goes to a black screen of death or shuts off completely. I am using a 5k retina imac, with i9 10th gen and 60gb memory (odd it's not 64 I know). The other computers we have are 5k retinas and 4.5k retina which also has the same problems - crashing to black screen of death or shutting off completely and not turning on for 10 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines