• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternative to rounded rectangle shape? The corners look janky.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2017

I'm creating a graphic with concentric rounded rectangles and really noticing just how bad the rounded corners look. The curves look flattened and there are bumps where they meet the straight edge. You can really see it in the cream-colored rectangle at the top here (and the whole thing just looks off). I've played around with different-sized radii from huge to tiny (and selected/de-selected "from center") but that flatness and those bumps are always there. Illustrator would probably be a better option here but I've never gotten around to learning it. Any suggestions or tips, either for working with this tool or for alternate approaches, would be welcome! Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try clicking on the shape with the path seletion tool, which will bring up some additional anchor points that you can slide around to help round the corners.... or you can use the direct sub-select tool to manouver the bezier curves?

Hope that helps.

mark

headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Mark! I'll see if I can figure that out 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries! I hope it helped!I attached a screenshot of my tools so you can see the tools I was talking about ( I meant the direct select tool (not sub-select) Hope it helps.

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 6.47.57 PM.png

headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot, Mark!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking the eye  might notice where the straight lines meet curved, and that adding some more points to "ease into and out of" a curve might lessen the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using CC2017 ?  Have you tried the current PS version which allows adjustment of the corner radius of each scaled rectangle so that they are all centred on the same point. Just place a couple of guides on the first rectangle corner point and put the corner points of the others on the same guide intersection.

A subscription should enable you to update.

2022-03-05_23-39-11.jpg

Illustrator is better for the job as you would draw one rectangle and add offset strokes

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave! I don't have the current version, but I overlaid some circles in the corners just to check and it turns out the curvature of the rounded rectangle tool is identical (i.e., accurate)... so I'd get the same result with the new PS. I guess when you see a curved corner that looks smooth, it's actually not just a quarter-circle slapped onto a rectangle after all. I probably need to play with the anchor points/bezier curves as mark@headtrix suggests. Thank you though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thanks! Wasn't aware of this. I'll check it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines