• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Another Gradient Layer question

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been watching YouTube tutorials about the gradient tool and the gradient layer to try to understand how the gradient layer works and how it is best used. I use the gradient tool to modify how adjustment layers work or, rather, what parts of the image they affect, by creating masks and thought that the gradient layer was a more flexible way to do the same thing, but the tutorials that I have seen tell me something different.

All of the tutorials I have seen seem to say that the purpose of the gradient layer is to allow the use of what are basically color fill layers (adjusted by gradients) and blending modes to change the look and feel of an image, and that they are not used with any adjustment layer, athough those can be added later to alter the look and feel. In fact, since the gradient layer is a layer there is no way to directly combine them with an adjustment other than adding separate adjustment layer. And any additional adjustment layer, either grouped with the gradient layer or not, seems to work the same way, at least as far as I have been able to tell from playing around.

So this post is really a question. Are my assumptions above correct? Or am I missing the whole point of the adjustment layer? Is it really any different in usage from applying a colored filter?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe watch Blake Rudis (f64) on YouTube as he's a big fan of gradients.

https://www.youtube.com/@f64Academy/search?query=gradient

https://www.youtube.com/@f64Academy/search?query=gradients

AFAIK, the "new" tool is just a helpful UI on the old tool + the ability to use it on masks too.

With the "old" version, for example, I used to make a quickie vignette with a radial gradient (to Soft Light). An advantage is that you can double-click the layer and move the "spotlight" anywhere (for example). If that vignette was a solid layer made to size, it would start showing what's beneath if I move it.

With the new UI, I now don't have to double-click anymore. Just one click and then you can do many adjustments live with the UI, and probably more precisely/easily, esp. if needing to change the gradient itself.

(In truth, I'm stll on an older version but played around a bit in the beta.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That was one of the videos that I watched, and he used the gradient layer and gradient map only with blend modes to modify the look of the photo, and that is why I asked if these tools were only a modification of the use of colorded filters. While I understand how to use gradients and the normal adjustment layers I am trying to expand what I know of Photoshop to those areas that I have previously skipped, and that includes gradient layers, gradient maps, posterizing and some other "advanced" features. Advanced for me, at least.

The video was very clear and I went to this main webpage thinking that perhaps he was a good source of information about Photoshop and how to properly use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be one or two dozen gradient videos on his YouTube page. Also being a (former?) painter, he does have some great contributions.

I didn't use to use the Gradient adj layer much some 6 years ago. Then I noticed how they were often used in some actions to suggest some incoming light or to darken down one side, or vignetting. This luminosity aspect is my favorite use for them, as you also know what to expect. Using colored gradients à la Blake you are more playing around.

With Gradient Maps I'd ask to look out when applying to skin 🙂  Many people now have Gradient Map skin all over, "ruining photography," IMO. There's also at least one panel to "help" with that. The problem is really people taking it too far.

They are very helpful to brush in and fix color where things went wrong. In such spot you first fix luminosity if needed, then make a gradient map sampling from the skin, mask it and brush in. That's a great use. Others seem to throw it over the entire skin to get the evened out look (looking way too even).

Nino can be among these, but I probably enjoyed an earlier version of this tut ...

Make Luminosity Masks from a Gradient Map in Photoshop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYaOzEQFUKY

I'm still underdeveloped in using them too... For some it's their favorite adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this post as it was very helpful, and the YouTube video about luminosity masks was eye opening. That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get from my post, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I guess I need to watch a lot more video tutorials about gradient layers and gradient maps to see what kinds of things are possible. The good thing is that there is so much to learn that I expect I will be busy for a while. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines