app.bringToFront();

var dlg = new Window('dialog', 'test');

w = dlg.add('button', undefined, 'cm1',{name:'ok'});

var docRef = app.activeDocument;

w.onClick = run;

dlg.show();

function run()
{
   docRef.activeLayer.mixChannels ([[100,20,-50,00],[30,70,90,00],[-10,-30,-90,00]], false);  
   app.refresh();
  }

Photoshop CS5 closes the script if I press the button a few times quickly. If I wait a few seconds between button presses it works fine, which makes me thing that Photoshop can not queue the commands. With Photoshop CS3 however, everything is working perfectly, I can press the button as quickly as I like and CS3 just executes it one by one.

Any way to work around this issue???

Thanks.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,
May 22, 2010 May 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this instead of app.refresh(). If it's using a different underlying mechanism, it may avoid the problem you're seeing.

function waitForRedraw() {

function cTID(s) { return app.charIDToTypeID(s); };
  var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
  desc.putEnumerated(cTID("Stte"), cTID("Stte"), cTID("RdCm"));
  executeAction(cTID("Wait"), desc, DialogModes.NO);
};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2010 May 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but it does not help. I've found that if I use executeAction() instead of docRef.activeLayer.mixChannels it works! I seems that I have to use everything with executeAction() for now... not my first choice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this Mac? Win? Both? Can you give me your system info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB, Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573). Thanks. Haven't tried on PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help me with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested it on Photoshop CS5 PC and it is working fine. This is a Mac issue only... Bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me that the bug is not with app.refresh but istead with the DOM method mixChannels. And that you have already found a workaround of using the Action Manager API.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michael, I have omitted the fact that I have encountered this issue on a more general function. Under Mac, pressing the test button of this code quickly a few times in a row will crash the script. If you comment out the "var n = docRef.activeLayer.name;" it will work as intended.

#target photoshop app.bringToFront(); var dlg = new Window('dialog', 'Test'); var docRef = app.activeDocument; dlg.b= dlg.add('button', undefined, 'test',{name:'ok'}); dlg.b.onClick = test;     dlg.show(); function test() {

// comment this to make the script work.    var n = docRef.activeLayer.name;

waitForRedraw();    } function waitForRedraw() {   function cTID(s) { return app.charIDToTypeID(s); };   var desc = new ActionDescriptor();   desc.putEnumerated(cTID("Stte"), cTID("Stte"), cTID("RdCm"));   executeAction(cTID("Wait"), desc, DialogModes.NO); };

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case all I can suggest it that you file a bug report if you have not already done so. https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take a look at the mac crasher but it is a problem on windws and a problem in CS4 as far as I can tell. I would recommend you disable your button so the user can only press it once. Here is a modified script to show more of what is going on. On windows I am getting the script to stop for no apparent reason (the actual reason is a stack overflow). On mac my suspssion is that the stack overflow is crashing us instead of erroring out semi correctly! You can try all combinations of the two flags at the top to see the behavior differences. And you can really see how long waitForRefresh is taking so use it wisely!

// http://forums.adobe.com/message/2873601#2873601 {
#target photoshop

app.bringToFront();

try

var buttonDisable = true;
var blockingOn = false;

var redraws = 0;
var blocked = 0;

if (documents.length == 0) {
    documents.add();
}

var dlg = new Window('dialog', 'Test');
var docRef = app.activeDocument;
dlg.b= dlg.add('button', undefined, 'test',{name:'ok'});

dlg.b.onClick = test;
dlg.show();

function test()
{
   if (buttonDisable) {
      dlg.b.enabled = false;
   }
     // comment this to make the script work.
   var n = docRef.activeLayer.name;

if (blockingOn) {
      if ($.stack.search('waitForRedraw()') == -1) {
         waitForRedraw();
         redraws++;
      } else {
         blocked++;
      }
   } else {
      waitForRedraw();
      redraws++;
   }

if (buttonDisable) {
     dlg.b.enabled = true;
   }
}

function waitForRedraw() {
  function cTID(s) { return app.charIDToTypeID(s); };
  var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
  desc.putEnumerated(cTID("Stte"), cTID("Stte"), cTID("RdCm"));
  executeAction(cTID("Wait"), desc, DialogModes.NO);
}

}
catch(e) {
    alert(e + ":" + e.line);
}

alert(blocked + ":" + redraws);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A real stack overflow should crash.  On Windows, I suspect that some of our last-ditch error handling is just able to recover better.

If it's a stack overflow in JavaScript - that should just return an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Tom for the most helpful response. Disabling the button does improve the situation, but is seems that waitForRedraw takes quite a bit longer than I expected, where the button only enabled a few seconds after the "Action" was executed. It does not provide a very good user experience .

Any way to make it work quicker maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know of anything that would make it work quicker. Forcing everyone to repaint is going to be slow. Photoshop was designed to run actions as fast as possible. The theory was you are going to run something that you are going to be sipping coffee and reading email while Photoshop is churning in the background and you don't really care about the intermediate steps. Just the end result. Wait for redraw is an attempt to change the design and you are now telling Photoshop, please run slow enough so I can see the intermediate steps. You basically can't have it both ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines