• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AppData/Roaming/Adobe - delete previous years?

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having just updated today to the latest version of Photoshop I checked that the previous version had been deleted and indeed it had.  However in the process I found, under AppData/Roaming/Data, various Photoshop folders containing (amongst other things) settings and presets which seem to be repeated in the folder for each version.  I have folders for Photoshop 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. 

My question is: can I safely delete the folders 2018-2022 inclusive?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can delete that.

Most of the stuff in your user account can in principle be deleted, it will get rebuilt if needed. But obviously, do a cost/benefit check in terms of actual disk space reclaimed. And be careful with system folders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the swift response and your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe apps will only delete what it installed. Any modifications or saving of presets will not be deleted. So just make sure you have what you want in terms of things you added before you delete them. It's always good to clean house though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a pretty fundamental difference between Program Files and the user account (AppData).

When you install the application, it all goes to Program Files, and stays there. That's read-only and never modified.

Once you start using it, configurations are stored in the user account, read when the application starts, and a lot of it rewritten when you exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks.  Nice to know there's such friendly help available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines