• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple CD-rom problem

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm working on a Mac since 1989 (Mac II). Technical things were more simple those days as I'm not very technical at all. 

I'm making a brochure about a annual festivity in my municipality that has his 50 years anniversary.

Pictures about this 50 years were kept in the beginning on a CD but on my MacPro there's no CD-rom anymore so they gave my one. Strange enough I can open all the CD-roms I've received but not my own (where I've kept my lay-outs over the years - at the beginning). 

Working with Catalina 10.15.7.

Is there a solution for this problem? 

Hopefully not too complicated. Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no "one size fits all", so details could be important.

Please tell us exactly what happens when you try to use your own CD. Include error messages in full, or screen shots.

Also, do you have a backup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, it's probably as described here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251765370

Basically old CDs will have been written using HFS, which current macOS cannot read. 

A Mac of intermediate age might be used to copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, right, I guess that will be it. macOS High Sierra or even Mojave can read HFS format.

I can offer a test here (in the UK)

neilB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only for a few pictures so I want put a lot of time in searching, and no IMG_0785.jpgI don't have backups from over 50 years. I do have a OWC (24T) where recent things are stored and these babies from over the years... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it might work to ask around your tech savvy contacts and see if anyone has a CD reader you can try that may be able to read your discs.

If you're successful then get them loaded onto a flash drive of HD (and make a copy for backup / posterity).

There may even be online services doing this? 

Could they be PC CD-ROMs, this may help, its an OLD article tho?

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000676.htm

If you're in the UK I'm happy to try opening one for you on my mac. PM me?

I hope this helps neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ask the Apple community at apple.com? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251765568

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brochures are best produced with InDesign and with the images optimised in Photoshop and Placed in the InDesign document where the text is added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, sorry but that wasn't my question and I don't know how you would manage to make a page like thist in Indesign?Schermafbeelding 2022-04-07 om 13.59.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to learn about creating composites in Photoshop.

Linkedin Learning has excellent step-by-step video tutorials, you can get 30-days free access.

For example https://www.linkedin.com/learning/photoshop-compositing-tips-tricks-techniques/welcome-2?autoplay=tr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines