Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple M1 - Graphics processor issue when undocked from monitor

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone -

I have a weird issue that seems to be impacting my new M1 MacBook Pro. Photoshop only seems to function properly with the graphics processor enabled when using it on an external display. Until today, this is the only way I had used it (external display with lid closed), but some troubleshooting has shown some odd behavior when attempting to run it on my Macbook's display.

The issue

• When attempting to use Photoshop undocked with graphics processor enabled, opening a new document or existing photo displays a black screen within the workable area for that document/image. Interacting within this space (drawing, moving, flood fill, creating a gradient, etc) causes this space to flicker and then go black again.
  • If I leave graphics processor enabled and connect to an external monitor, Photoshop works fine when I'm using it on the external monitor. An interesting note: if I connect to a 2nd monitor and keep my Macbook open, I can only use Photoshop without issues if it's running on the external monitor. Dragging Photoshop to my Macbook's display still has the same issue as above.
  • Of course, disabling graphics processor fixes the issue on my Macbook's display, but I'd like to be able to use all the bells and whistles of this new device.

System Information

• Device: MacBook Pro M1
  • Photoshop: 22.4.1

Has anyone come across this strangely specific behavior before, and come across a fix for it? I'd like to avoid having to disable graphics processing whenever I use Photoshop undocked, and don't want to miss out on using the full suite of features. I know M1 is relatively new, and perhaps this is a bug that will eventually get worked out - but thought I'd drop in and see if anyone has any advice.

Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Go to preferences Tech preview and check "Deactivate Native Canvas". 

Restart Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to preferences Tech preview and check "Deactivate Native Canvas". 

Restart Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solution resolve the same issue on my macbook m1 max. Thanks. No w works perfectly on external monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin, 

Thanks for the solution!  I unchecked all of the Tech Previews and the Graphics Processor is working again. 

Kevin for the win yet again!

Thanks a ton.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Wondering if you ever came across a solution - this happens to me too on my M1 Macbook Air, when it is undocked. I have only recently started to use an external monitor, and was able to use Photoshop without an issue before, but now, I have to turn off the 'Use Graphics Processor' every time.  Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do the suggested solution of checking deactivate native canvas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion but I tried with my my M1 Max MBP and still doesn't work. 

In fact tried deactivating all Tech Preview functions except content aware setting. 

As long as the "Use Graphics Processor" option is enabled, the opened PSD file will look empty.

Please help and thanks a lot! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines