• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply A LUMINANCE MASK TO A SMART OBJECT MASK? IS IT POSSIBLE

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to have a way to apply a selection based on luminance applied to a Smart Object mask, just like you can do on a normal layer mask. Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just confirmed that I'm able to apply luminosity masks to both smart filters and smart objects.  Are you having trouble doing this?  Is it an active layer you are trying to apply a whole luminosity mask to?  Or create a new mask with a luminosity mask?

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Actually I mis-stated the issue. What I want to do is
apply a luminance mask (from a selection) to the mask that is created when
I make a SMART FILTER on a layer.
--

{private information removed by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Actually I mis-stated the issue. What I want to do is apply a luminance mask (from a selection) to the mask that is created when I apply a SMART FILTER on a layer. Sorry for the confusion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain how you create a smart filter mask based on a luminosity selection. 

As far as I can see, I can only paint on the smart filter mask, or invert it, or delete it. There's no way that I know of to create a "new" smart filter mask in the same way as a traditional layer mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure!  I believe the solution you are looking for is to press Alt + Backspace to Fill with Foreground Color.  Just make sure to have white selected as your foreground color.  Let me know if you run into further hang ups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you desire to do so, its possible to delete a smart filter mask and make a new one by right clicking on the area under the layer that says "Smart Filters" and there is an option there to make a new mask on the smart filter.  I also confirmed it would make a mask from a luminosity selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thanks for taking the time to reply to me. However I'm not sure we are on the same page. Here is a my simple workflow for creating a luminance mask on a normal layer:

1) Go to channels pannel

2) select the RGB channel that has the best contrast for what I'm trying to do

3) Create a selection from that specific channel ( either with keyboard shortcut or from the channels panel)

4) Now that I have a selection I can create a new layer mask based on that selection based on the luminance values from the channel I selected. 

This is not possible with the mask that comes along with a smart filter. All I can do is 1) paint on it 2) invert it 3) delete it

Alt backspace just fills at layer mask or active pixel layer with black, white, or gray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SUPER! that did it! Thanks for that.

--

Best,

Rod Klein
Artist/Writer
[Personal info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an active selection and adding a mask via Right Click > Add Filter Mask worked for me.   

Having an active selection from the Channels Panel and applying it to an existing smart filter mask also worked for me.  Have I perhaps missed a step? 

2022-10-04 22_55_05-Window.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to see it worked!  Are both methods working for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. Thanks

--

Best,

Rod Klein
Artist/Writer
[Personal info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines