• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attempting To Change Font in Photoshop 2020 Crashes Application

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on an iMac (27" Mid 2011) running mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6. I'm running  Photoshop 2020 21.0.3

I can create a new type layer in Photoshop (2020 21.0.3) but if I try to change the font from the font dropdown menu I get the spinning beachball and a message that Photoshop is not responding. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop as well as done each of the recommended fixes found here -- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html  - and nothing has solved the issue. Any thoughts?

I'm on an iMac (27" Mid 2011) running mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6. I'm running  Photoshop 2020 21.0.3

IMG_9883.jpgIMG_9884.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using for font management? How many active fonts do you have currently?

Everytime I see this - its an overload of active fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really using anything for font management. I get by with the most barebones tools in Photoshop, should really learn how to use it more effectively! I have about 480 fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you mean 480 individual font files or 480 font families?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font families. Just looked and there are 491 in Font Book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which means you could potentially have over a thousand individual fonts active on your machine.

Font Book doesn't count system fonts or other application fonts, only the ones in your Font folder.

My guess is you have too many active fonts for the available RAM on your machine.

If you hit your font panel in PS and let it sit - eventually it may react, but a better option is to deactivate unneeded fonts and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you run under Safe mode (all your fonts except system turn off) If it works then maybe uninstall the fonts and start again. Sometimes just starting in Safe mode clears the system caches and fixes your problem but I assume something could be corrupt in one of those fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a page on Adobe Font Support: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html

Font Issues:

Damaged fonts can cause various problems in Photoshop, some of which don't appear to be font-related.

1: Update Photoshop to the most recent version
2: Turn off Font Preview in Photoshop preferences
3: Remove fonts
4: (Mac OS) Validate all fonts through the Font Book Mac OS application
5: Use the FontTest script to determine if there are damaged fonts on your computer
6: Delete the Photoshop font cache
7: Delete the system font cache
8: Isolate the font causing the problem (Mac OS only) 

Preference Issues:

Make sure the product is updated as Adobe may have fixed any issues. 

1. Create a new user and see if the problem still persists. If the problem does not then it is a problem in your user's preferences.

2. Try another good Mac. If it works here then it is a problem with the local preferences

File Corruption Issues:

1. Try another file. If the other file works then the original file may be corrupted. 

-----------------------

Fixing Font Issues:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html

Fixing Local Preference Issues:

Reset your preferences. Under Adobe Photoshop Preferences>General choose Reset Preferences On Quit then restart your application.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 3.17.10 PM.png

Fixing Installtion Issues:

The nuclear option is using the Adobe Cleaner: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I did something wrong, but after going through all the options multiple times, still, no luck on changing a font in a new or old .psd file without Photoshop "not responding." I also kept it at that point for 2 hours to see if it would eventually respond, and no luck. Finally used Adobe Cleaner and that didn't fix it either, but now InDesign (my main software for work) is not opening. It's getting stuck on launch ats "starting up service registry." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure you have a combination of too many fonts active and not enough RAM available.

Try deactivating the bulk of the fonts and see how your computer responds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, from one day to the other. I have a maxed out mac 2019, i can't believe it's because i have too many fonts. I am a graphic designer. And this is a product i pay 1000 euro per year. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever have this problem resolved? This JUST started to be an issue as of last night. I highly doubt I have "too many fonts" but I've tried every step that Adobe suggested to no avail. I'm trying to simply choose another font to type out a few words and finish a project of mine. I even ran the latest update available today in hopes that it would resolve this bug but it didn't. Beyond frustrated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone solved?

i´ve only the stocks fonts

and a mac with 64gb of memory

and still crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a lot more info since you are not the OP. What version of macOS? What version of Photoshop? When does it crash and do you get a crash report? Are you having problems in other software (Pages? TextEdit? etc?) Have you turned off all unneeded fonts in Font Book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

already tried all the PS versions, already turned off all the fonts and still the same

crashing when chaging fonts, object selection tool, sometimes when try to open files ...

here the system info

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xEEeAS4uLIofFFNXwlIiHC3y7j_H5qowsfT8hrwfeIs/edit?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok that's a lot more than just font related, object selection is a totally different beast. Are you sending crash reports to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines