Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automation from a filter plugin

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The background:

I've been coding in C++ for 15 years and C for about 12 before that, so I'm pretty well versed in the tools required for writing plugins.

My experience in writing plugins for Photoshop though is pretty close to zero at the moment having only recently downloaded the SDK and poking around in the examples.

My experience in using Photoshop is also at beginner level.

The question:

I am working with my stepdaughter (who is a newborn & toddler photographer) in creating plugins specifically tailored for other photographers, both amateur and professional, in the same line of work.

She has already successfully sold sets of actions, but would like move up to developing a range of plugins. As I'm the software engineer in the family it's down to me to see if her idea is a runner or not.

One of the requirements is that some of the filters must contain a certain amount of automation, such as creating a new layer, turning it into a mask etc.

My research so far has lead me to believe that filters are only filters and automation plugins only automate and they live in their own separate menus.

Is this true?

Can filter plugins control Photoshop in some way like a script or automation plugin, or is it denied this type of access?

Cheers for any enlightenment.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short, the answer is yes, but indirectly.

Take a look at samplecode\automation\automationfilter in the SDK's Sample code.Normally the automation plugin controls filters thus allowing to combine these in any combination. Another way to organize it could involve an automation Listener-like plugin to respond to (custom) filter events. You can also keep all your filters and automation plugins in the same persistent binary to allow for coding in the same user memory space which obviously offers a lot of advantages for C++ programming, and use CC SDK to trigger your plugins from custom panels.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to bring up such an old post.

Could anyone tell me how to do this?

ilvar  schrieb

You can also keep all your filters and automation plugins in the same persistent binary to allow for coding in the same user memory space

The SDK documentation also talks about having more than one filter in the same binary but I can't find any hint on how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works on the mac, combining different types of plugins, because we do not unload plugins on the mac. On windows we unload filters and other types of plugins. That can cause problems for a persistent automation plugin! It is now recommended that you DO NOT combine plugins of different types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. So when shipping an automation plugin and a hidden filter I have to install two files? There is no encouraged way to put everything into one .8bf/.8li/.8whatever?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your automation is non persistent and you handle reloads correctly. Then you can combine them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines