• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Action Changes 8 bit Images to 16 bit

Participant ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an action to prepare an image for printing. It includes a step to flatten the image. My Photoshop file starts as an 8 bit image. If I manually run the action the result is also 8 bit. 

However, if I batch run the action in Photoshop (File >Automate) all the images end up as 16 bit!!

What's happening?? And how do I get Photoshop to stop converting 8 bit to 16 bit? I've also noticed that when I open an 8 bit file, Photoshop converts it to 16 bit. 

One more question: is changing the bit depth lossless? I know the color differences between 8 bit and 16 bit images. But if Photoshop is going from the original 8 bit to 16 bit, and then I convert it back to 8 bit, will the image quality degrade from the original 8 bit image?

Thanks. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Okay, this problem has been solved. Apparently, opening my 8 bit tiff files automatically into Camera Raw when I open them in Photoshop was converting them to 16 bit. I had a great Adobe rep who showed me how to turn off the preference that makes a tiff open in Camera Raw. And it's all working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Here is visual what should be done because this step can not be skipped when opening .raw files.camera raw workflow options.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you check if you did forget configuring an 8>16 action in the Scripts Events Manager.. of the File>Automate menu?

The 16>8 bit jump usually adds a bit of dithering, in order to smooth gradients created in 16bits, to avoid stairstepping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of where that is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

script events manager.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the dialogue box for Batch Action in my Photoshop. I don't see what you're referring to.

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 7.55.24 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that it's also changing an 8 bit PSD to a 16 bit TIFF if I just manually run the action!!

I've been having problems lately with 8 bit images opening as 16 bit and I don't know why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if I don't use an action and do the file manually, flattening the 8 bit PSD, enlarging the canvas to give it a white border and then saving it as a TIFF, after I do that, and without closing the file, it shows it's an 8 bit TIFF. But when I close and reopen it, it's suddenly a 16 bit TIFF! As I said, this has been happening for the last couple weeks. I changed my MacOS from Big Sur to Monterey, but that's the only change I've made. I noticed it with Photoshop 2022 and Photoshop 2023.

I think it's saving it as an 8 bit, but when I open the TIFF it's opening in Camera Raw and that is converting it to 16 bit.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO OPEN A TIFF DIRECTLY WITHOUT OPENING IT THROUGH CAMERA RAW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

file_handling.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes, @Outtacontext your username is relevant to the thread: Do you see the camera Raw dialog when you reopen the tiff?

At the bottom, click the hyperlink to change to 8bits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is visual what should be done because this step can not be skipped when opening .raw files.camera raw workflow options.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bojan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open in Camera Raw things beconme 16 bit. So don't open in Camera raw. Open the normal way (with Open from the File menu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, this problem has been solved. Apparently, opening my 8 bit tiff files automatically into Camera Raw when I open them in Photoshop was converting them to 16 bit. I had a great Adobe rep who showed me how to turn off the preference that makes a tiff open in Camera Raw. And it's all working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a great Adobe rep who showed me how to turn off the preference that makes a tiff open in Camera Raw.

By @Outtacontext

You didn't need an Adobe rep for that, I showed you how in a screenshot above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, thanks. At the time, I was under a big deadline and I didn't understand the image you provided. So, I need help right away. As it turns out, the images were 8 bit. Only when I opened them to check did they become 16 bit.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the help all of you provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines