Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch converting 1000 pdf to jpg

Participant ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a question I haven't really found a solution for. I need to process 1000+ pdf files into jpg or png files.

Usually I would just write a short action with save is but the problem is every time I open the pdf file this window pops up:

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 12.52.50.png

So when I write the action with saving the files as a jpg and attach the folder with the pdf files for Batch process, this window pops up for each pdf which kind of kills the automation.

What would be the way to do it? Is there a way to write this setting (I need then as Pages) into an action as well? Or what can I do?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All pdf file are not the same. Some are a single image and will open like normal image files in Photoshop as a single layer. Other are not a single image map have pages image and other objects and some PDF files are PDF slide presentations.  Photoshop can not import these as a single raster layer.  There may be some scripts the can process these types of PDF with Photoshop however I would think PDF processing script would also has a dialog for you to use to set processing options,  Perhaps one is a Plug-in that can be batched in an action.  Search the Web for Photoshop PDF processing scripts.  I see that Xtools has a PDFtoJpeg script. And Paul has a PDF Processor script on the web.  I have never user these.  I do not normally process or save PDF files with Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Yes the problem is that these pdf files are machine generated in order to print labels. So Photoshop opens it in this way.

If I may ask how do you usually process the pdf files then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have more luck with a script that was designed to gracefully deal with PDF files, rather than image files:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Paul-Riggott/PS-Scripts/master/PDF%20ProcessorII.jsx

Prepression: Downloading and Installing Adobe Scripts 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one worked for me!! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm! Save me a tone of work, thanks for pointing out. Thanks to Paul Riggott too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, after quite some experimentations, in 2023, it has small bugs. So sad can't use it anymore 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

every time I open the pdf file this window pops up:

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 12.52.50.png

Try checking the Suppress Warnings box when you record the action, so in this case the action is always going to open the selected page 1 along with the other options you have chosen. Then when you batch the action also check the Suppress boxes there:

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried to surpress warnings as you suggested, but in this case it just opens all the original pdfs in the distorted form and then gives me the following warning:

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 16.58.00.png

and the action does not save anything.

This is how it looks when I open the files one by one:

Etikett_Mittel copy 5-1.jpg

and this what happens when I run an action which says open, save as a jpg (which does not happen) and close.

Etikett_Mittel-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File >> Scripts >> Image processor

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 2.57.53 PM.png

This will create a folder named JPEG that will store all the copies of your files in .jpg format.

For mine ai also run an action to convert the color profiel to Gracol, you can choose any action that you have created if needed or to  further automate

If you have trouble with resolution let us know in detail about the pdfs you used and  results you are getting and one of us can assist you further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will try this asap and write if it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried the method you suggested and I am having a weird outcome - while it does convert the PDFs into the JPGs, for some reason it also distorts the original file. I made sure I do not run any actions (also activating and deactivating "resize to fit" does not fix it):

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 16.49.52.png

This is how the original pdf looks like and the jpg outcome:

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 16.51.18.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 16.51.23.png

I would really appreciate a piece of advice, this is confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry if you've already solved this issue.  I may be understanding your requirements incorrectly but I have a Macbook Pro with Adobe Acrobat installed.  I recently had a 68 page PDF that I needed converted into JPGs.  

So I:

1. opened the file

2. --> went to Tools --> Organize Pages

3. then I click Edit from top menu --> Select All

4. File--> Save As...

5. change Format from Adobe PDF Files to JPEG (or PNG or any other format you want listed)

6, Save.

It worked wonderfully for me but, like I mentioned, perhaps I didn't understand properly.  I just wanted to share my experience.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDK if it helped anyone else but this is exactly what I was looking for and it worked perfecty even with the free trial version of Adobe Acrobat! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the above, I tried this and it was a lifesaver! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what I was needing, as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines