• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch fade between frames on gif animation?

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm making some gifs using around 16 frames and wonder if anyone knows how I can create a quick fade between each of them. I have played around inserting frames using the tween feature but I then have to adjust the duration for each of these for a short fade.... it's very long winded. Does anyone have a way of doing this as a batch?

Many thanks in advance...

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very little stuff of the animations features can be automated since it's kind of thrown on as an afterthought, so I don't think you could create an action or script. If you do this a lot it may be worth learning After Effects to at least generate image sequences that can then more easily be converted in PS. AE would at least allow you to tweak multipole settings at once and re-use animations by ways of animation presets.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your reply, ill try another programme - seems like it should be so easy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this script. It sets the transition between all layers of the current video group. The duration and type of transition can be specified when calling the function. Color transition is not used in the code, but it is possible.

#target photoshop

var s2t = stringIDToTypeID,
    transition = {
        fade: 'opacityDissolveTransition',
        crossFade: 'crossDissolveTransition',
        fadeBlack: 'blackDissolveTransition',
        fadeWhite: 'whiteDissolveTransition'
    },
    p = app.activeDocument.activeLayer.parent,
    len = p.layers.length - 1;

for (var i = len; i > 0; i--) {
    selectLayers([p.layers[i].id, p.layers[i - 1].id])
     addTimelineTransition(2, transition.fade)    // < set duration and type of transition
}

function selectLayers(IDList) {
    var r = new ActionReference();
    for (var i = 0; i < IDList.length; i++) { r.putIdentifier(s2t('layer'), IDList[i]) }
    (d = new ActionDescriptor()).putReference(s2t('null'), r);
    executeAction(s2t('select'), d, DialogModes.NO)
}

function addTimelineTransition(seconds, typeOfTransition) {
    (d = new ActionDescriptor()).putObject(s2t('using'), s2t(typeOfTransition), new ActionDescriptor());
    (d1 = new ActionDescriptor()).putInteger(s2t('seconds'), seconds);
    d.putObject(s2t('duration'), s2t('timecode'), d1);
    d.putEnumerated(s2t('placement'), s2t('transitionPlacement'), s2t('join'));
    executeAction(s2t('addTimelineTransition'), d, DialogModes.NO);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loll I have no idea how the layers in newly created document should look like to use your script?

I figured it out, but I don't know where in Timeline panel to look for used seconds and transition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the transition panel when you select an effect

2021-08-06_23-19-05.png

@Kukurykus wrote:

Loll I have no idea how the layers in newly created document should look like to use your script?

It is assumed that a video group with layers has already been added and selected in the timeline. We can, of course, write a script that creates a video group and fills it with the clips (layers) of the current document, but as I understand it, @David Bebber  does not need this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a group with 3 layers, then clicked 'Create Time Line'. 2nd & 3rd layers on timeline I moved to the right so they don't start at same time position. I played it, then ran your script, but after I open a palette you show on the image the duration box is still equal to 1 second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run this panel 2 times in my life and besides, I read your question inattentively 🙂
So I understand in the add transition panel shown last manually entered value. To see the transition used for each layer, right click on the transition rectangle between clips.

2021-08-06_23-21-55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea how to do it, to see transition used to each layer 🙂 I right click on fully purple area but it shows Motion palette, not Transition, and I don't have that bottom bar that is white on the right side on the screenshot. I also don't know how to make it. It is too complex for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tested the script, I did something like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You. Now I know what wrong I was doing. I did not put them next to each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, thank you, really appreciate the responses, next level skills.  I just have to play catch up on what you've already written and come back to you when I'm up to speed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you state about 16 Frames that is not many frames for a fade out fade in Tween does support layer opacity and layer positioning animation I feel an animation should have a frame rate if at least 10 fps rate video is normally 30 FPS.  Here is a 16 Frame Frame animation. Red fade out, Green fade in, Text moving. No frame delay.  Loop forever.

fadeinout.gif

100 Frames

100Frames.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines