• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Processing and Supressing PDFs from opening?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an action i wish to use to batch process 100's of images in a folder and its subfolders. 

My only issue is that it keeps opening PDF files stored in the same folder structure and this halts the batch action. 

How can I tell photoshop not to open PDF files please?

Also I need the folders to remain intact so I can't just go through and remove all the pdf files. 

any help would be appreciated. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As pdf is a file format Photoshop can import I see no option to filter them out in Batch, but you could use a custom Script instead of Batch. 

What are the exact and complete Batch-settinsg you use? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the batch process itself is just basic, like this: 

jacobtodd_0-1658995522007.png

however the action its playing is a bit more technical. In short its just resizing images and saving them in the same location using a second batch process to save within the action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Include all subfolders« is unchecked, didn’t you say you wanted to process those? 

Have you tried »Suppress file open options dialog«? 

Anyway, I expect you will need to use a Script. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some folders need subfolders processing some dont in this regard that's irrelevant my issue is the pdfs opening. and suppress open dialog works vs the pdf but then causes it to open a dialog on every image instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul Riggott's Picture Processor script can maintain sub-directory structure and process a selected file type, one file type at a time (so in you had .PSD | .TIF | .JPG image files in various subfolders, you would need to run the script three times:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Paul-Riggott/PS-Scripts/master/Picture%20Processor.jsx

Otherwise, as @c.pfaffenbichler mentioned, you would need a custom script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option... Use Bridge. It can view all items from all sub-folders and hide the folders. The filter panel can hide PDF files. All files can then be selected and then you can run Image Processor Pro (not the basic Image Processor) which can use the selected files in Bridge as the source and it can preserve the original folder structure and play an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nifty! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with the responses, Photoshop isn't setup to just ignore a specific file type. So you'll need a script or Bridge, you can filter or possibly create a Collection to process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines