• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bending a picture of a person? 2D image into 3D in Photoshop

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well let me start of by simply saying thanks for stopping by.

I have used Photoshop before, took courses  as well, so I do know a fair amount of things. But recently I've been trying to figure out how to kind of bend a picture of a person in such a way that it will "look" 3D when I print it into a glass cube (laser printing). To be more specific and illustrative, this is a link to the kind of effect I am essentially looking for, but have no clue as to how to do it.

3D Crystal Glass Laser Engraving ( Photo Print ) - YouTube

Message was edited by: Sahil Chawla

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Hi

Photoshop has limited 3D functions but not enough to sculpt a face.

If your final result is to be an engraving then the proprietary software to match the laser engraver is the way to go. If you just want a model that you can move around the a 3D application is the way.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion successfully moved from Forum comments to Photoshop

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As you want to turn a 2D image into 3D, please check this article and let us know if it helps:

https://itstillworks.com/convert-2d-3d-photoshop-8489837.html

Also, this video might help: Make 2D Image to 3D in After Effects - After Effects Tutorial - No Plugins Required - YouTube

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply, I did try both but it did not turn out as the way I would want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not done in Photoshop. It involves sculpting a 3D model (usually picked from a set of standard models) to get nearest fit to the photograph and then controlling the engraving tool from there. It is usually done in proprietry software to match the engraving laser tool.

There are a few You Tube videos which show the process in a bit more detail if you google "2D to 3D conversion for laser engraving"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that is the problem, when I do google that I end up at websites that DO that for me, and I do not want that to be honest. I just want to know the "how" to do it instead. But can't I just somehow "bend" an image? Maybe using "inflate" options or something along the lines? If there is absolutly no way I can "reverse engineer" that in Photoshop, then thank you anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See these which show the proprietry software in use

How to Create 3D Model: From Photo to 3 D Laser Crystal - YouTube

Laser Engraving Machine & 2D to 3D Conversion Software| Shining3D - YouTube

You can create a 3D model directly in a 3D application, such as Blender, but it will take good sculpting skills to get a likeness

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well what you just sent me was actually pretty helpful in giving me an insight as to how they actually do it, on the other hand though, I am pretty "skilled" in 3D modelling and that is what I was doing for a while. But then I noticed the "3D" things that are engraved in the glass are rather 2D and not 3D if you take a closer look at it, it just appears to be 3D from the first sight (mostly from an angle) so I just thought to ask in forum if there is a way to bend an image like that around some origin. But as I am understanding right now, that is not possible whatsoever in Photoshop/illustrator or any other adobe application? Just a propriety software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Photoshop has limited 3D functions but not enough to sculpt a face.

If your final result is to be an engraving then the proprietary software to match the laser engraver is the way to go. If you just want a model that you can move around the a 3D application is the way.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay got it, thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's more about how it is done in this video.  Nothing to do with Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your job laser marking machine is the problem solver.There are many different types of engraving machines (crystal engraving) this days so you can choose what ever suts your needs.Just follow engraving market trends and see what is helpfull for you.Photoshop is not sollution for this application i think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

depthmapdepthmapI would use a Photoshop depthmap and rendor it in Dimension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines